Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products
View Poll Results: What should Ford build for the NYC hybrid taxi fleet?
Update Crown Vic, fleet only with hybrid option for NYC
50.00%
Build a hybrid Taurus and sell that to taxi fleets
33.33%
Rely on hybrid Escape and upcoming hybird Fusion, with possible extended versions for legroom
16.67%
Ditch the NYC taxi fleet altogether, it's not worth the trouble
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

NYC: hybrid taxis mandatory by 2012

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/07, 09:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC: hybrid taxis mandatory by 2012

So what should Ford do here?

Y'all know I've always been a fan of hybrid technology, so I'm thrilled about the news that NYC will be obliging cabbies to drive hybrid vehicles by 2012. Starting in 2009, all new taxis must be hybrids. I think this will be great for the people who live in NYC and have to deal with these vehicles in massive numbers. Those Crown Vics have some pretty beefy engines, and these cabs (as well as the cop cars) spend a lot of time idling.

Now at the same time, I'm a huge Crown Vic fan. I grew up in the back seat of a Country Squire (my folks still drive a '91 Colony Park), and I always stare a little long at any of the CV cruisers the Montreal police still drive. So I'll be a little sad to know that NYC, currently the Crown Vic's prized territory, switch over to something a little more ecological (and economical, energy and fuel wise).

I'm not sure how important it is to Ford to dominate the NYC taxi fleet. Its definitely a source of consistent sales, but do they make much money off those sales? Its a lot of exposure for their vehicles, but is it good to show off their stuff, or do people then just associate the vehicle with a lowly taxi and never consider driving it themselves? Or is it worthwhile for them to hold that image as New York's tough workhorse, a real American symbol, like the checkered cab. Does it do good for the brand as a whole, if not for the specific model?

All that being said, what would be Ford's best option? The Escape Hybrid has been doing really well in NYC, it's really proved itself in terms of durability, and the drivers and passengers love them. But is it a big enough? Its already cramped for rear leg room, and that's without the safety divider for the driver (a camera is deemed a sufficient replacement). So how should Ford approach this?
Old 5/22/07, 09:45 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This certainly won't help Honda Insight sales.
Old 5/22/07, 10:26 PM
Cobra R Member

lol... why do you say that? Do they even still sell that thing? I shouldn't laugh, I still think that thing was **** cool, although maybe not to most members of a mustang enthusiast web site.
Old 5/22/07, 11:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'd say rely on the Escape and Fusion. The more congested NYC gets, the more large sedans don't make sense even for Cabbies. Witness the microvan cabs' growth. The Escape will continue to do well, and the Fusion gives you a more nimble, though not as roomy, option.
Old 5/22/07, 11:42 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

D) none of the above.

Build Interceptor with hybrid option.