Mid-Atlantic Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Virginia Drivers BEWARE July 1st...

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/07, 12:49 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Virginia Drivers BEWARE July 1st...

Beware Virginia Drivers New Civil Fees for Traffic Tickets take effect July 1st, 2007... these fees only apply to Virginia residents, DC, MD, WV, NC and PA boarder states only pay the base fines. ILLEGAL ALIENS and NON US Citizens are Exempt.

"The civil fees will be on top of traffic fines courts impose, and are part of the new financial package to help fund Virginia's beleaguered highway department.

For instance, an offender charged and convicted of reckless driving for going 20 mph over the speed limit would pay the traffic fines and court costs, plus be accessed a $1,000 civil fee. One-third of the civil fee would have to be paid the day of the conviction. The rest would be paid in two equal installments over the next two years. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is responsible for collecting the final two payments, if not paid loss of licanse wil occure and more fines will ensue.

The new system is designed to spread the fees into three yearly payments.
The fees could reach into the hundreds or thousands of dollars for some traffic offenders.

“Judges have no leeway with the new law,” said Branscom. which means they cannot reduce or suspend the civil fees.

Those who have driving points on their record also will be assessed an additional $175 per point in civil fees for their previous record up to $700 if convicted of a new violation."

Oh, let's see what some of these fines are:

Driving on a suspended or revoked permit - Civil
penalty $750.00 + the court cost & fines

Reckless Driving - Civil penalty $1,050.00 + the court
cost & fines

DUI - 1st offence - Civil penalty $2,250.00 + the
court cost & fines

Failure to give proper signal - Civil penalty
$1,050.00 + the court cost & fines

Leaving the scene of an accident - Civil penalty
$3,000.00 + the court cost & fines

Yes, you read that right. That is a $1050 fine on top of the fees of the ticket. For not using your ****ing turn signal.

By the way, the following crimes in VA now carry a less severe punishment than driving 80 MPH on a clear road with no traffic around:
Assault
Stalking
Sexual Battery
Contribute to abuse of child
Obstructing justice by threats or force
Shoplifting
Pass bad checks
Identity fraud
Cruelty to animals
Prostitution
Accessory after the fact to a felony crime
Vandalism/Intentional damage
Tresspass with intent to damage

Welcome to the Communistwealth of VA!
Well we wanted change Last November and thats what were getting....

I find this video very funny, it shows how irrelevant the posted speed limits are. Some say they broke the law, but how can you by doing the exact posted speed limit?

Click here for the Video
Old 6/28/07, 02:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, saw this on the local news, those are some incredible "fees" on top
of the fines and court costs.
Old 6/28/07, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats worse is that those fines only apply to Virginians and not those from out of state

Anybody who gets hit by the fine should fight it if they can
Old 6/28/07, 10:04 PM
GT Member

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket
Virginia legislator introduces new speeding ticket tax that boosts penalties beyond $3550, driving business to his traffic law firm.

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield), lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain.

"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue," the new law states. (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)
Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050 tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee of up to $100 if a prior conviction leaves the motorist with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each additional point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this example remains on the record for five years.

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal," "passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction remains on the record for eleven years.
Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law forbids judges from reducing or suspending it in any way. The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount. Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Texas also impose a somewhat more modest which they apply to out-of-state residents.
The Virginia Supreme Court provides a full explanation of the new penalties for each traffic infraction in the 34k PDF file at the source link below.

Source: http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-drivertax.pdf] Civil Remedial Fees (Executive Secretary, Virginia Supreme Court, 6/21/2007)
Old 6/28/07, 10:25 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Being in the military, I'm not a VA resident, but I was planning on becoming one after the military. Maybe I should move to Moyock, NC (just across the border)
Old 6/29/07, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

This could have a VERY BAD precedent...

Wait till other cities and counties get wind of this.
Old 7/1/07, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Governor said on the radio the other day that Virginia got the idea for this mess from NJ

The traffic lawyers have said that they will challenge the first fine brought to them as unconstitutional
Old 7/2/07, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

PDF table of violations and fines

Found a PDF with list of all fines. In the table, you will see an "annual fee" next to each violation. This annual fee will have to be paid for three years. So, basically multiply fine by 3 and that's your penance.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs...-drivertax.pdf

EDIT: Dang! Did it again! just saw that 2K05GT posted the same link above. It was all tucked away at the bottom of post #4
Old 7/2/07, 07:25 PM

I just sent an email to the governor. Virginians must stand up to this tyranny. Here's the link to email Governor Tim Kaine.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/Abo...ctGovernor.cfm
Old 7/3/07, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Thumbs down Just plain nutz

Words do not adequately express my displeasure with this. I could see it for serious moving offenses - DUI, reckless, racing, vehicular manslaughter, high speed eluding etc.

But for turn signal offenses?
Old 7/3/07, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Not only that, but there is also a "general" misdemeanor offense which I think is a catch-all for all other offenses not on the list such as 5 mph over.

I guess their rationale is, obey the law and this won't apply to you. But we're human and we all make mistakes! People honestly go over the speed limit without knowing sometimes, people honestly don't see a no-turn-on-red sign sometimes, and people honestly don't see a stop sign sometimes (and then go oh s***, did I just blow through a stop sign?) And sure, they should pay a reasonable fine for the offense (i.e. the ticket). Technically I can afford this extra $1000 (and sure I'll be ticked about it), but there are plenty of people in VA that really can't afford this kind of stuff (i.e. drive through the back roads of Lynchburg sometime). For all of us, but especially for them, the punishment just doesn't fit the crime.
Old 7/3/07, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2K05GT
Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket
Virginia legislator introduces new speeding ticket tax that boosts penalties beyond $3550, driving business to his traffic law firm.

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield), lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain.
Does anyone else see this as a MAJOR Conflict of Interest?? I am glad I moved out of the state last year.

I know Va is celebrating 450 years this year, but does this mean that they are trying to revert back to the days of English rule??
Old 7/3/07, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by spike
Not only that, but there is also a "general" misdemeanor offense which I think is a catch-all for all other offenses not on the list such as 5 mph over.

I guess their rationale is, obey the law and this won't apply to you. But we're human and we all make mistakes! People honestly go over the speed limit without knowing sometimes, people honestly don't see a no-turn-on-red sign sometimes, and people honestly don't see a stop sign sometimes (and then go oh s***, did I just blow through a stop sign?) And sure, they should pay a reasonable fine for the offense (i.e. the ticket). Technically I can afford this extra $1000 (and sure I'll be ticked about it), but there are plenty of people in VA that really can't afford this kind of stuff (i.e. drive through the back roads of Lynchburg sometime). For all of us, but especially for them, the punishment just doesn't fit the crime.
All they need to do is drive around the NoVa area, specifically Arlington, Springfield, Woodbridge & Manassas and they will be able to make a fortune just ticketing the drivers in those areas. I come up to visit at least every 1 & 1/2 months and it never ceases to amaze me the number of "immigrants" driving that do not know what turn signals, etc are.
Old 7/3/07, 02:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
Being in the military, I'm not a VA resident, but I was planning on becoming one after the military. Maybe I should move to Moyock, NC (just across the border)
Mark,
We are stll considered residents since we live in Va.You can fight it but I doubt the **** head cops or judges will cut a break to a Military man... especially in Va Bch and Norfolk

Jesse
Old 7/3/07, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

lol....
passing at a railroad crossing carries the same penalty as manslaughter. glad I live in AZ....
Old 7/3/07, 06:12 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
Mark,
We are stll considered residents since we live in Va.You can fight it but I doubt the **** head cops or judges will cut a break to a Military man... especially in Va Bch and Norfolk

Jesse
Yeah I guess you're right. I do have out of state tags and out of state drivers' license.
Old 7/11/07, 06:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05Blackbeauty
All they need to do is drive around the NoVa area, specifically Arlington, Springfield, Woodbridge & Manassas and they will be able to make a fortune just ticketing the drivers in those areas. I come up to visit at least every 1 & 1/2 months and it never ceases to amaze me the number of "immigrants" driving that do not know what turn signals, etc are.
Yea, unfortunatly this law applies to VA residents (US Citizens Only) becasue the fines are spread out over three years for payment, they will have a hard time collecting from green card or illegles because of obvious reasons.