Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Winter in the Midwest

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/11, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter in the Midwest

Hey all,

I am pretty new to this forum and to owning a Mustang in general. I bought my first baby back in June and she is my DD and with that notriously awful Midwest winter headed our way I am researching snow tires. Any suggestions on what brand? I am keeping my stock 17" alloys on her. I have heard great things about Bridgestone Blizzaks. Is this true? Has anyone else driven in the Midwest winter with their Mustang? Any advice will totally help. Thank you!
Old 11/20/11, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey bud,
I've driven a lot of rwd cars through many years of Chicago winters. I've used Blizzaks and Dunlops. Either are great in the snow. Both offer varying degrees of snowability (yeah, I think I coined a new word) depending on the type you get. For aggressive snowability I'd go with an aggressive Blizzak. For moderate go Dunlop. For the last 4 years I've run Dunlop Winter Sports on both a GTO and a Benz E63. I'm good for about 4 inches of snow. A bit of slip but I can keep moving forward and control slides easily. If there's more snow than this, I stay home. On dry roads the Dunlop WS is quiet and wears reasonably well. If you absolutely have to drive in deeper snow, go with an aggressive Blizzak at a narrower width if you can. Or buy a 4wd vehicle. Check out the Tire Rack website for loads more info. Best if you can get them with their own wheels. Steel wheels are ugly but cost effective. Good luck.
Old 11/20/11, 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the stock Pirelli all-season tires last year, but didn't have to drive it in much snow. This year I bought the Blizzack WS60's, and I'll be using them on the stock GT, 18" rims. I will be getting better wheels and wider Nitto 555's next year for warm-weather use.
Old 11/20/11, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've driven my share of Chicago winters as well. I've never used a specific snow tire, but I always put bags of sand in the trunk. Ace Hardware sells 70lb tubes of sand (used to be $4 each). One over each rear wheel well will help a lot. Combine that with a good tire and you'll be set.

Watch out for icey inclines, don't come to a complete stop on them if you don't have to....you'll never get going again. Shut traction control off if you start to get stuck. If you have a manual, start off in 2nd gear in some slippery situations.