Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Indiana Meet and Greet, OH. ILL, KY, MI Welcome too

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/07, 07:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Well it's still a work in progress because my numbers were ~429/380, which isn't higher than my previous best numbers, BUT what we found was when we dyno'ed the car last spring before the 'cooler we got 439/383; however with the change in wheel/tire size and the increased temperature this time around, it dyno'ed anywhere from 410 to 390 and the power kept going down little by little on each pull since it wasn't intercooled. So, realistically I gained anywhere from 30 to 40 hp by adding the intercooler and smaller pulley and most importantly, those numbers were repeatable on the dyno and didn't change much at all after repeated runs.

Note that my theory of adding the smaller pulley was to do two things:

1) Help compensate for the extra piping, restrictions that the intercooler inheritly adds.

2) Help get the blower into the boost quicker...... which it does do for sure.

Currently my car's boost skyrockets to 6psi and then (relatively) slowly climbs and peaks out at 9psi. We are working with Vortech to perhaps go down another size or 2 on the pulley to get peak boost to top out at ~11psi. This should be completed before our meet! What I would like ultimately is to top out hp wise around 460-470 rwhp; I would like to do this with having extra boost so that the blower gets up to speed quickly but then limit the total power production by using specific parameters in the tune on the top of the rpm range.

Also interestingly I was reading an article regarding adding a turbo's wastegate to a centri-style blower; running a really small pulley to get into the boost quickly but then discharge excess boost of your choice by using the wastegate........ project #3 coming up???
Old 9/23/07, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Well it's still a work in progress because my numbers were ~429/380, which isn't higher than my previous best numbers, BUT what we found was when we dyno'ed the car last spring before the 'cooler we got 439/383; however with the change in wheel/tire size and the increased temperature this time around, it dyno'ed anywhere from 410 to 390 and the power kept going down little by little on each pull since it wasn't intercooled. So, realistically I gained anywhere from 30 to 40 hp by adding the intercooler and smaller pulley and most importantly, those numbers were repeatable on the dyno and didn't change much at all after repeated runs.

1) Help compensate for the extra piping, restrictions that the intercooler inheritly adds.

Currently my car's boost skyrockets to 6psi and then (relatively) slowly climbs and peaks out at 9psi. We are working with Vortech to perhaps go down another size or 2 on the pulley to get peak boost to top out at ~11psi. This should be completed before our meet! What I would like ultimately is to top out hp wise around 460-470 rwhp; I would like to do this with having extra boost so that the blower gets up to speed quickly but then limit the total power production by using specific parameters in the tune on the top of the rpm range.

Also interestingly I was reading an article regarding adding a turbo's wastegate to a centri-style blower; running a really small pulley to get into the boost quickly but then discharge excess boost of your choice by using the wastegate........ project #3 coming up???

I understand what you are doing I think. First off.. I know an intercooler will cost you about 2-3 lbs of boost but allow you to safely add 6-7 back for the increased power. The idea of adding a pop-off valve sounds great. It will allow you to create alot of boost at lower rpm without blowing the top off of everthing at the top end. Good thinking. So you are really working toward making up that lack of performance the centi gives up to the twinscrews at the low end. Good plan. I like it. What ever happened to that prototype filter you guys were experimenting with?
Scott
Old 9/23/07, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh? could you slow down and repeat that please!........Just kidding Tom, your getting there! I hope your thinking about some axle support? and some beefy LCA's. September's MM&FF has a article on the Swarr bar looks like a neat setup!
Old 9/23/07, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
......I understand what you are doing I think........ So you are really working toward making up that lack of performance the centi gives up to the twinscrews at the low end. Good plan. I like it. What ever happened to that prototype filter you guys were experimenting with?
Scott
Yep, that's exactly right! I want boost quicker but I still like the top end efficiency of the centris over the TS. This plan should make my power curve more similar to a turbo than an blower.

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Huh? could you slow down and repeat that please!........Just kidding Tom, your getting there! I hope your thinking about some axle support? and some beefy LCA's. September's MM&FF has a article on the Swarr bar looks like a neat setup!
Well I have the Steeda LCAs and panhard bar..... along with the FRPP 4.10s, I may need to do an axle brace at some point but I should be good for a while!
Old 9/23/07, 09:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Checked with the wifey and the Biltmore trip is the weekend of Nov 3rd. So I think I can make it to the dyno day on the 27th. How about you STD since you left us hanging in May.

Larry (Aircare84),
Ever had that car of yours on a dyno? I know where Tom281 lives and he bought breakfast in May.
Scott
Two weekends in a row?..I've got to go to Iowa and and see a couple of my kids! but I would love to!
Old 9/24/07, 04:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Two weekends in a row?..I've got to go to Iowa and and see a couple of my kids! but I would love to!

Wuss!!! Is that the right way to spell it Tom?? It's going to be snowing in 8 weeks. You can go visit the kids when it's cold. Unless your old bones could'nt make the trip when the temps are in the 30's. You are a wuss or whipped...which one is it my friend? Since you are on #3 my guess is whipped!!
Scotty
Old 9/24/07, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That would be the correct spelling.... and correct usage, I might add.
Old 9/24/07, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the grammar check!!!!
Old 9/24/07, 05:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ok!.. Mister, Ill buy you a designer handbag, take you to Hawaii!...Just let me have my supercharger, please baby! please, please.. kissy kissy !......

Wuss!!! Is that the right way to spell it Tom?? It's going to be snowing in 8 weeks. You can go visit the kids when it's cold. Unless your old bones could'nt make the trip when the temps are in the 30's. You are a wuss or whipped...which one is it my friend? Since you are on #3 my guess is whipped!!
Scotty
Hey man my wife is viceous!........You wouldn't believe what I had to do to go to Brown County!.....especialy when she figured out her birthday wasn't the real reason I wanted to go!.....I'm still coughing up hair *****.....
Old 9/24/07, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok!.. Mister, Ill buy you a designer handbag, take you to Hawaii!...Just let me have my supercharger, please baby! please, please.. kissy kissy !......

Hey man my wife is viceous!........You wouldn't believe what I had to do to go to Brown County!.....especialy when she figured out her birthday wasn't the real reason I wanted to go!.....I'm still coughing up hair *****.....

Okay...I'll back off. Wuss! I will be satisified to see you in 4 weeks!!!!!!
Scott
Old 9/24/07, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 9/24/07, 06:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Okay...I'll back off. Wuss! I will be satisified to see you in 4 weeks!!!!!!
Scott
Wow! you must be getting easy in your old age!
Old 9/24/07, 06:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hey! tom281 and 70MACH10WNER, I almost for got!...contacted brenspeed about labor on doing this mod for me! I think I will do this in the late spring if I don't choke to death on hair ***** by then! ...Oh! Tom where did you buy your wifes handbag at!....... Home | Services | Contact | About Us | News | Employment | Sound Files | Media | Customers | Tech | Carnage » Custom Tuning » 2005-08 Mustang GT » 2005-08 Mustang V6 » Mustang Shelby GT500 » 1996-04 Mustang GT » 1987-95 Mustang 5.0 » 1994-04 Mustang V6 » Take Off & Used Parts » F150 / F250 / F350 » Brenspeed T-shirts » 05-07 Gift Ideas » Gift Certificatesvar Quotation=new Array() // do not change this!// Set up the quotations to be shown, below.// To add more quotations, continue with the// pattern, adding to the array. Remember// to increment the Quotation[x] index!Quotation[0] = "I Appreciate the quick shipping and reasonable price!!!
F. Lucman, MD
3.73 Gears
";Quotation[1] = "My 06 GT's throttle response and power is now amazing!
J. Tindall, Texas
2006 Mustang XCalibrator 2
";Quotation[2] = "You Guys Are Great!! I ordered My MIL's Yesterday and got them today! Thanks!
E. Galloway, Indiana
MIL Eliminators
";Quotation[3] = "Exhaust was here in 2 days!
W. Dague, Michigan
Mustang H-Pipe
";Quotation[4] = "I can't believe the improvement in performance!
L. Kilgore, Florida
07 GT C&L intake & Xcalibrator 2
";Quotation[5] = "Brenspeed helped me choose the correct part instead of selling me something I did not need!
A. Morris, California
06 GT Steeda Pulleys
";Quotation[6] = "Fast Shipping! These headers sound awesome!
S. Thornton, New Mexico
06 GT Kooks Headers
";Quotation[7] = "Great seller and supporter of the Mustang community will do business again!!
B. Niesen, Colorado
05 Mustang GT Flowmasters
";// ======================================// Do not change anything below this line// ======================================var Q = Quotation.length;var whichQuotation=Math.round(Math.random()*(Q-1));function showQuotation(){document.write(Quotation[whichQuotation]);}showQuotation();My 06 GT's throttle response and power is now amazing!
J. Tindall, Texas
2006 Mustang XCalibrator 2

BRENSPEED specializes in Mustang performance partsHome » Tech » Comp Cams 3V Cam Test» Shopping Cart Comp Cams 3V Cam / C&L Intake / BBK Throttle Body Test

When we picked up our 2005 Mustang GT back in late 2004 we knew it had tons of potential. Only through the detailed and intense R&D that we perform do you really find out what works and what does not. We have tested about every part on the market and not often is it worth writing about. With the introduction of Comp Cams 3 valve camshafts we knew it was time to put yet another part to the test. We opted for what Comp calls Stage 3 cams. These cams are VERY mild as far as we are concerned and should be called Stage 1. For various reason that we won't go into here this is the largest cam you will find Comp selling for a while. They idle mild, drive like stock, yet add a TON of power. The actual specs of the cams are…

Advertised Duration: 261 Intake / 278 Exhaust
Lift : .490 Intake / .480 Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 115.5 Degree

The test vehicle in our shop represented the common Mustang GT that would be subjected to a cam install. It was modified with a C&L Street Intake, Pulleys, Delete Plates, Kooks Long Tubes, Catted X-Pipe, Mac Axleback, 3.73 gears, Brenspeed Tune, and a 5 speed manual transmission. In this form the car put down an average of 309 rwhp 324 ft. lbs. of torque on our Dynojet Chassis Dyno.

We won't expand in great detail here how to install the cams. What we can say is an experienced technician is recommended. The special tools for the install are available from Ford for around $300. We performed the swap in house with the cylinder heads on the car. This was accomplished without removing the front covers from the engine. This did speed up the process. The cams, springs, and retainers fit perfectly without any special modification. Once the cams were installed we started the car and all sounded well.
About 10 minutes later the car was on the dyno to see just how good these cams really were. With no other modification to the tune or the car and simply installing our Comp Cams Kit that includes Cams, Valve Springs, and Rockers power jumped to 335 rwhp and 318 ft. lbs of torque. Although torque did decrease a few foot pounds down low the upper RPM’s torque increased approximately 25 ft. lbs. and power jumped 25 rwhp! Don’t worry this is not where we stopped. This is where we have been wanting to test our theory on the C&L 95mm Racer intake being a better option for cars with ported heads or aftermarket camshafts. We have always felt the Racer intake held no advantage over the C&L Street on a stock engine when being used with your average bolt ons. We have felt the larger racer intake although extremely better than no intake at all was at a slight disadvantage to its 83mm street brother on mild engines. What we wanted to find out was did the cams demand more airflow than the C&L Street could supply? By only removing the C&L Street intake and adding our C&L Racer intake power jumped to 340 rwhp and 322 foot pounds of torque. Just to confirm our results we put the Street intake back on to find power fell off and then re-installed the Racer intake to find power increase again. This clearly showed us the new cammed engine did benefit from the 95mm Racer intake. The graph below displays…
Run 4: Test car with stock cams and 83mm C&L Street Intake
Run 11: Test car with cams and 83mm C&L Street Intake
Run 14: Test car with cams and change to 95mm Racer Intake

Now that our new cams were helping the GT pump out 340 rwhp we decided it was time to employ the help of the new BBK Twin Blade 62mm throttle body. Usually the stock throttle body is plenty to support a stock engine but considering the new cams responded well to the 95mm C&L Racer intake we couldn’t think of a reason to not try out the BBK throttle body. The install of the BBK throttle body only takes about 25 minutes. With no other change except the addition of the BBK Throttle Body our GT jumped to 347 rwhp and 326 ft. lbs. of torque. Just to confirm the gain we put the stock throttle body back on and power fell back to 340 then reinstalled the BBK to see power jump again to 347 rwhp.

Although the air to fuel ratio after the camshaft install did not change at higher RPM we did notice it leaned out below 4600 rpm's. On a car without a tune we don't feel the engine leaning out at low RPM would be an issue because of how rich the engines run stock. If you are running an aggressive custom tune we would suggest checking your air fuel after purchasing the cam package. As with other bolt on parts purchased from Brenspeed existing customers are not charged for the tune modification.

Our 2005 GT jumped from 309 rwhp to an amazing 347 rwhp with the addition of our Comp Cams Kit, An air intake that can support the power, and a BBK Twin 62mm throttle body. Click on the graph below to see the comparison of where the 05 GT started and where it was at the completion of our test.

Run 4: Baseline with stock cams, bolt on parts listed above, and C&L street intake
Run 24: Addition of cams, C&L racer intake, and BBK throttle body

We feel once you have added all of the easy bolt on parts to your Mustang these cams are a good option. We wouldn't even consider it unless you already have an air intake and tune. We also suggest the use of headers although that would not be required. Another awesome fact is 347 rwhp is over 400 flywheel horsepower! That is over 100 more than the car was rated from the factory all with parts available on brenspeed.com.

Brenspeed © 2004-2005 | Site Produced by CherryTEKgeovisit();
Old 9/25/07, 06:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ooooh...I would just love to do cams.
Old 9/25/07, 07:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That would be a cool mod- but for the money you may as well get BLOWN!

OK OK OK, yes you're right cams would kickass. I'd like to do them myself too.
Old 9/25/07, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys want me to post the M/G on my clubs forum? I'm sure some members from the club would come, especially if Brent is coming.
Old 9/25/07, 01:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's certainly fine with me, I've alerted my local club (but I doubt if anyone shows).

We need to discuss the plan for food, drinks, etc. or if it's just bring your own kinda thing.
Old 9/25/07, 02:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
Do you guys want me to post the M/G on my clubs forum? I'm sure some members from the club would come, especially if Brent is coming.

The more the better as far as I am concerned!!
Scott
Old 9/25/07, 03:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That would be a cool mod- but for the money you may as well get BLOWN!

OK OK OK, yes you're right cams would kickass. I'd like to do them myself too.
Tom if I use the components Brent did, minus the long tube headers and just use my shorties I'll still gain about 100 HP at half the cost of a blow job!! ... I'm just looking for a little more passing power on the highway.......
Old 9/25/07, 03:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
Ben, thats a great idea! You my want to warn them! I've been told that 70MACH1ONWER likes to wear a leather loin cloth to these type of events!......

Quick Reply: Indiana Meet and Greet, OH. ILL, KY, MI Welcome too