Southwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Tuners around Dallas?

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/05, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to do my intake changes CAI, pullies, and remove HC trap and then get a custom tune on the dyno. Anyone worth recommending?

Thanks

Mod, can you move this to Southwest?
Old 6/15/05, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Dallas Mustang and Lone Star Performance are the first couple that come to mind.

Certainly not going to try to talk you out of having a custom dyno tune. BUT, I will ask, why take it somewhere to have this stuff done, pay their labor, plus pay probably $300 for the custom dyno work when you can very easily do all of it yourself, buy a tuner, get the car pretty darn close to where it needs to be, then just spend maybe $50 on a few dyno pulls? The CAI ( reguardless of who's you end up buying ) doesn't take more than about 10 minutes at the most to install. Pulleys will take maybe 2 hours if you take your time. HC trap may very well be a non issue if you replace your intake tube ( i.e. C&L CAI setup ). If you don't replace the intake tube, then add maybe MAYBE 5 more minutes to your CAI install time for removing it. I would bet that a shop will EASILY charge you $150ish to do the CAI and pulleys. Then like I said, most places are going to charge you somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 for the tune and the dyno work. You could do the install yourself and save that $150, pick up a Predator with the cable and power supply and free overnight shipping for $325 on line, and save yourself money. Plus have the grin factor of knowing YOU modded your car.
Old 6/15/05, 02:39 PM

I plan to install all of the parts myself, but I just wasn't sure about trying to use a generic tune flash. My only experience with custom maps is with sportbikes and power commanders which I have always had to get a custom map because no dowloadable map was ever even close to perfect.

I figure $400 for a tuner and maybe get it right or $300 for dyno time and let them flash it perfectly i would rather know I'm getting every pony I can. Is there something I'm not understanding about the handheld tuner? Do you have the capability to read the HP and Torque curves and then alter the tune?
Old 6/15/05, 04:35 PM
Cobra Member

No. None of them ( that I know of ) will give you that information. There are PC programs that you can buy that will allow you to tweak the tune files. I personally have not played with them though.

I got a Diablo from concours direct for $325. That included the PC cable, the power supply, and free overnight shipping. Then went to Diablo's web site and downloaded the Steeda CAI ( non branded version ) tune. Installed the CAI and did the tune. Went over to Dallas Mustang and did a dyno pull. He did one pull on it and called me over to look at the monitor. His comment was "that's pretty darn good. I would not have expected those numbers without pulleys". When I went up front to pay them the $50 for the dyno time ( 3 pulls, no tuning for $50 ) the guy at the counter asked what I did ( because we had a guess how many HPs bet going ). I showed him the sheet and he even said that it was about 8 to 10 hp higher than he would have expected. The tunes for the specific CAIs from the tune manufacturers ( at least in the case of Diablo ) are pretty darn descent. Can they be tweaked...yea, I'm sure they can. So then you are faced with the following scenarios. Do you not buy a tuner, install the parts, and wrecker your car to the dyno shop? OR, do you not buy a tuner, install the parts, limp it over to the dyno shop?(remember, I don't know how far any of these places are from you). OR, I guess you could install the pulleys, then drive to the shop, install the CAI in the parking lot, then let them tune it. OR pay them to do the install. OR... Just buy the tuner, do the tune. I doubt they are going to get some astounding HP out of your car ( with just a CAI and pulleys ) that you are not going to get tuning it yourself.

Just my opinion.
Old 6/15/05, 09:36 PM

Yeah I'm in Frisco so I probably don't want to run it too far running rich or lean. I think I will go ahead and get a handheld tuner, so as I understand it there are 2 to choose from Diablo Predator or Xcalibrator? Any idea of the differences between the two? Which is better?

Also, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with a CAI. I've seen pics of the JLT, Steeda and C&L. I've read a few threads saying that a full plastic system is the best way to go but I still don't know enough to make the purchase. Any unbiased opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 7/12/05, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by shortbus@June 15, 2005, 9:39 PM
Yeah I'm in Frisco so I probably don't want to run it too far running rich or lean. I think I will go ahead and get a handheld tuner, so as I understand it there are 2 to choose from Diablo Predator or Xcalibrator? Any idea of the differences between the two? Which is better?

Also, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with a CAI. I've seen pics of the JLT, Steeda and C&L. I've read a few threads saying that a full plastic system is the best way to go but I still don't know enough to make the purchase. Any unbiased opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
You should check out HPP Racing in Lewisville. I have been going there lately and am VERY impressed.
Old 7/12/05, 09:47 AM
Cobra R Member

I too have heard great things about HPP.

I've heard mixed reports about DM.

Originally posted by shortbus@June 15, 2005, 12:51 PM

Mod, can you move this to Southwest?
Done and done.
Old 7/18/05, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Just out of curiousity, did Lone Star Performance move from Loop12 - I-30? Years ago I shopped some work at Lone Star Cougar, which turned into Lone Star Mustang, and I recently noticed it had disappeared.

I live a stone's throw from Lew-ser-ville, so HPP is very handy.

The idea of tearing up a brand new car is a reversal. I was always the second-hand receipient of the car, so I got to hunt for all the original stuff that the 'idiot' who originally owned the car had tossed. This time, I get to be the idiot! Heh. I can't wait.