2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Your reason for buying a V6 instead of a GT.

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/07, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems this is all that we are doing fellas. I have no ill will towards anyone who purchased a v6 or a v8. I've been a Mustang fanatic all my life and despite most of my experience coming from the big bad v8 Mustangs of the 60s and 70s, I always knew that when my opportunity came for me to own a Mustang that it would be a v6. I got my Mustang on a 0% financing promotion Ford ran last year, that was my time to make my dreams come true and trust me, I wouldn't have been able to own a Mustang (v6 or v8) any other way, without getting a significant pay increase at my job. When I went to the dealer to get my Mustang they only had 2 - $19,000 Standard Trim v6s, 3 $23,000 Premium Trim v6s (one of which I purchased), 2 Standard Trim $24,000 GTs, 5 $29,000 Premium GTs, 1 $29,000 v6 Convertible, and 2 $36,000 GT convertibles. With it being a sale and everything my options were a little limited. Sure I could have gone with a Standard Trim Mustang GT...but that's not my style. I wanted all the goodies and gadgets I could get my hands on, while still having acceptable power that could be improved on in the future. That's why I got a fully loaded v6 instead of a base model GT.

Personally the v6 does it in looks for me, I'm just not a fan of those four giant headlights around the upper grille (okay I know two are foglights...but they look like headlights to me). Even before my conversion to a Shelby front end, the v6 was a looker in its own right and I never had one person come up to me and say "Hey great Mustang, oh wait...it's only a v6." Yes I will be putting on dual exhaust but that in no way makes me a poser. I didn't purchase the dual exhaust with the hopes that some stranger will come up to me on the street and say "hey nice GT there." Honestly I could care less if anyone knows my car was a v6 or thought it was a v8. If they ask me, I'd gladly tell them it's a v6 and got no shame about it.

Truth be told, the v6 guys need the v8 guys as bad as the v8 guys need the v6 guys. Without the v6s, I doubt many v8 Mustangs would get sold...actually it wouldn't surprise me if the price was even higher than it is now if Ford only offered v8 Mustangs. We v6s should give a big thanks to the v8 guys because once the market for modifications exploded on the v8s, it slowly and steadily trickled down to the v6s. As a result, v6 guys are able to go out and buy performance parts for there v6s when just a short couple of years ago...the market just wasn't that plentiful for the v6 Mustang market.

I love my v6 and I never sat in my car, or laid in my bed wishing I had got the v8. The thought has never crossed my mind in the 7 months I've owned her. I have no doubts in the future I may own a v8 Mustang one day...but that time is in the future...this is the present and v8 or no v8 engine, this is one of the best darn cars I've own in my 9 years of driving. If Ford does another 0% financing program again this year...I hope to pick up a v6 Convertible or another v6 Coupe (in the color I want) if I can swing it financially.

Let's just stop beating a dead horse and just get along. We are all Mustang owners...part of a big brotherhood (and sisterhood, can't forget the ladies) so why can't we just be proud. If I see another Mustang on the road, no matter what year, style or engine is under the hood, I always give a big thumbs up...that's how dorky I am. It's the pride I take in the ownership of my vehicle and I hope everyone is enjoying their pony as much as I enjoy mine.

Now if you will excuse me, I think I'm going to take a ride in the stallion sitting out in my yard.
Old 4/4/07, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Slvr Bullitt you say it so well..could not have said it better myself.
Old 4/4/07, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bad_monkeys
remember...nothing is more expensive than regret.
beautiful. I'm going to use that.
Old 4/4/07, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No regrets here.
Old 4/5/07, 12:49 AM
V6 Member

Why or why did I get the V6?

Actually, I love my V6. I test drove 6 Mustangs the day that I got my V6. When I went to the dealer I was wanting the V8. I actually told the sales guy, I am a V8 guy. I have owned plenty of Mustangs and all have been V8's. Of course I tested the GT first and was totally happy with it. "That is the one I want". I was trading in my Land Rover Disco (Definition of Luxury=More money to fix), so we went in and started crunching numbers and the monthly payments for the GT were a bit high. I didn't want to put any money down at all and I owed more on my Disco than what it was worth. So the best choice for me was the V6. Before my Discovery, all I had ever driven was Mustangs and being without one for 2 years was killing me. So I test drove some V6's and well......I wasn't that disappointed in it. Sure it is not a beast like the GT, but I live in L.A. and travel the 405 to and from work everyday, as a daily driver there is no real opportunity to really "get on it". My insurance on the V6 only cost me $70 a month, I can drive to work for a week on a full tank (couldn't do that with my older GT's). So it basically just worked for my situation. Do I want a GT, you bet your %## I do. But for now, I can have some fun with the exterior/interior and some other things that won't void my warranty. Those V6's still got some power. I mean come on, is the engine the only reason you bought a Mustang? For the majority, I am sure the answer is "no". It is the performance coupled with the look. My V6 still has the look, just not as much power as some of you guys/gals. If you just wanted a powerful engine, then you could have went and bought and Dodge somethingorother with a Hemi in it or some Chevy. But you didn't, there was something else that made you get the Mustang. Mustangs aren't a great car just because the engine, the looks are what make a Mustang a Mustang (at least in my opinion). If the engine is the only redeeming quality about the Mustang, then why does anyone care about the outside of the it, spending plenty of $ adding on spoilers, bumpers, wheels, louvers, etc. To each his/her own. GT, V6, Coupe or Convertible, it is still a Mustang. If you have a GT and love it (which I am sure you do), GREAT! But don't think us V6ers have any less affection for ours.
Old 4/5/07, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007newbie
Actually, I love my V6. I test drove 6 Mustangs the day that I got my V6. When I went to the dealer I was wanting the V8. I actually told the sales guy, I am a V8 guy. I have owned plenty of Mustangs and all have been V8's. Of course I tested the GT first and was totally happy with it. "That is the one I want". I was trading in my Land Rover Disco (Definition of Luxury=More money to fix), so we went in and started crunching numbers and the monthly payments for the GT were a bit high. I didn't want to put any money down at all and I owed more on my Disco than what it was worth. So the best choice for me was the V6. Before my Discovery, all I had ever driven was Mustangs and being without one for 2 years was killing me. So I test drove some V6's and well......I wasn't that disappointed in it. Sure it is not a beast like the GT, but I live in L.A. and travel the 405 to and from work everyday, as a daily driver there is no real opportunity to really "get on it". My insurance on the V6 only cost me $70 a month, I can drive to work for a week on a full tank (couldn't do that with my older GT's). So it basically just worked for my situation. Do I want a GT, you bet your %## I do. But for now, I can have some fun with the exterior/interior and some other things that won't void my warranty. Those V6's still got some power. I mean come on, is the engine the only reason you bought a Mustang? For the majority, I am sure the answer is "no". It is the performance coupled with the look. My V6 still has the look, just not as much power as some of you guys/gals. If you just wanted a powerful engine, then you could have went and bought and Dodge somethingorother with a Hemi in it or some Chevy. But you didn't, there was something else that made you get the Mustang. Mustangs aren't a great car just because the engine, the looks are what make a Mustang a Mustang (at least in my opinion). If the engine is the only redeeming quality about the Mustang, then why does anyone care about the outside of the it, spending plenty of $ adding on spoilers, bumpers, wheels, louvers, etc. To each his/her own. GT, V6, Coupe or Convertible, it is still a Mustang. If you have a GT and love it (which I am sure you do), GREAT! But don't think us V6ers have any less affection for ours.
+1 It makes perfect sense to me by having a smaller engine for DD, especially if there are a lot of miles required as it is in your case, and perhaps a car with a larger engine for weekend show off.

Sure, I am a little out of scale here, but the idea does holds true for me as well. I could not justify driving a blown 5.4 to work everyday and so, a NA 4.6L acts as a demo also for my Dealership sales and promotion. It was all in an effort to satisfy all those things combined.

Otherwise, I would be DD a V6 proudly and would have had no need for the Roush 4.6L.

V6s have as much potential for modification as a GT. An example is a recent acquaintence who has a V6 with the entire Cervini Package on it, blown, etc. and makes about 370 at the flywheel. It'll scoot real good too.
Old 4/5/07, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I read this entire thread and love that this is being discussed w/ little animosity.

I currently have a black/black v6 5sp that i use as a dd. Bought it for the wife new in 96 and took possession of it about 5 yrs ago as a work car. Upgrades have been done along the way: 17x9 cobra r's, duals, udp and a 93 octane tune. This has all been done out of love for the car, but at 11 yrs old it is becoming long in the tooth.

So, am looking for something to replace it and have been seriously shopping for a low mileage 97-98 GT or Cobra (love the 94-98 bodystyle.) The short story here is I decided to buy new instead. Started searching dealers' lots for 07 6ers w/ abs and limited slip (a must-have) and realized that the few found are on fully loaded cars. The price difference is marginal between a fully loaded 6 and a GT stripper, I'm inclined to buy the stripper. Dunno, I may wait til the 08 order books open up and see what I can do.

My apologies to the OP for taking this a little off topic, but I believe it fits.
Old 4/5/07, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I notice most V8 owners are talking regret and you should have's most V6 owners are talking happiness and I love my car. Hey lets leave it at that.

They are all mustangs!