2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Your reason for buying a V6 instead of a GT.

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/07, 08:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget the turbocharged skateboards and pocketbikes
Old 3/28/07, 11:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
This is an endless debate if you just fight for one side or the other.

Basically to each his own. Some people just like the mustang cause its a mustang. Great looks great price. Why pay for a V8 or limited slip differential if you are never going to use them or care if they are there.

For me I love performance, and the performance the V8 offers stock or modded bests the V6 so I am willing to pay more for the car and insurance cause that extra money spent makes me much happier and its really part of my entertainment budget.

But whatever reason you bought a mustang its great to me. If it weren't for the V6 guys i wouldn't be able to have my GT for $25k.
+1 on the Opinions.

Ford makes most of the Mustang $$ from the V6.

In working at a Dealer and driving 6-ers, they are no slouches and are at near the Power Rating of the Late Gen. GTs. 4.0L vs 4.6L, not a lot of difference in Displacement.

I may stand in the Minority for opinion on having to have a V8 and Manual Shift;- my DD is V8 manual.

Though, I fully respect the other Models.

Been in a 6-er myself and also S/C it. Drove it five years daily. Also had a GT Auto, but left it NA, save for a CAI.

Having been on each side of the 'fence", it comes down to choice;- no matter the reason for the choice.
Old 3/28/07, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My mom didnt want me to have a V8 since she thought Id probably kill myself with one being that this was my first car. Oh well, I love my car and wouldnt trade it for anything!
Old 3/28/07, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S197 V6
My mom didnt want me to have a V8 since she thought Id probably kill myself with one being that this was my first car. Oh well, I love my car and wouldnt trade it for anything!
My first new car was 1993 Mustang GT White with black interior. The only draw back it was an auto.
Old 3/28/07, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HEADACHEZ
My first new car was 1993 Mustang GT White with black interior. The only draw back it was an auto.
Mines a stick, at first i wasnt sure if i liked it but now i love it. Again I was 16 and this was my very first car and first time driving. I still love the thing!
Old 3/28/07, 06:56 PM
V6 Member

i have an 2006 auto V6 my parents got it for me for my 19th birthday last year i love it for one no payments second ill get the v8 when the refreshed 09 comes along...
Old 3/28/07, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by salsa037
i have an 2006 auto V6 my parents got it for me for my 19th birthday last year i love it for one no payments second ill get the v8 when the refreshed 09 comes along...
Onve you go V8 you will never love a V6 again I am sure that will upset a few members on here..... I would like to thank all the V6 buyers out there that make it possible for my V8 at 26K
Old 3/28/07, 07:56 PM
GT Member

Your reason for buying a V6 instead of a GT

For me it all came down to $ The GT was pricier than I could get and still pay all the bills. Since I knew I couldn't comfortably afford the GT I decided to get a fully loaded premium V6. So now 2 years after I got it I have enough $ saved to pay off the note and still have some left over for trips with the Mustang club. For me it was the right choice at the right time & I have no problem waiting till my next Mustang to get the 8. Its all about being happy with the choices you make so if you're happy with your choice than thats whats important.
Old 3/28/07, 10:20 PM
JGT
V6 Member

I've got nothing against V6s, but the argument that a V8 owner can't use all of their potential just doesn't make sense to me. Sure, I can't take the car from 0-120 MPH at WOT all the time, but I make use of the additional power every day, especially on the highway.

My commute involves three highway merges, some of them farely tricky. Just today, I rounded the curve and found myself dead even with an accelerating car with a line of traffic behind it. I punched it, took off, and made a nice merge into traffic well ahead of the truck. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as effortless with a V6, and I can't imagine any cop in the world giving me a ticket in that situation. Even when there isn't traffic, merging on to the highway is fun as hell, and one of the safest and most justifiable ways to let the V8 loose.

I remember reading some post where a V6 owner was talking about how he laughs at the V8s when he sees them stuck in traffic moving as slow as everyone else. But for every time I am stuck in traffic banging my head on the steering wheel, there are at least twenty times where I find myself at a traffic light, or highway merge, or open stretch of road with a big smile on my face.

Sure, a driver in a V6 can get a ticket just as easy as a V8, but the same can be said for a 100 HP econo-box, I see plenty of them zipping around at unsafe speeds.
Old 3/28/07, 10:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JGT
My commute involves three highway merges, some of them farely tricky. Just today, I rounded the curve and found myself dead even with an accelerating car with a line of traffic behind it. I punched it, took off, and made a nice merge into traffic well ahead of the truck. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as effortless with a V6, and I can't imagine any cop in the world giving me a ticket in that situation. Even when there isn't traffic, merging on to the highway is fun as hell, and one of the safest and most justifiable ways to let the V8 loose.
Have you ever tried moving through traffic in a V6 S197 Mustang? Funny thing is that when you punch the accelerator on a V6 S197, that car moves like a bat outta heck. Is the V6 as fast as a GT? No... but either way they're both a lot faster than most of the commuters on the road.
Old 3/29/07, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Martimus
Have you ever tried moving through traffic in a V6 S197 Mustang? Funny thing is that when you punch the accelerator on a V6 S197, that car moves like a bat outta heck. Is the V6 as fast as a GT? No... but either way they're both a lot faster than most of the commuters on the road.
The only V6 I drive is my wifes Acura TL 2004 (270hp) if I remember correctly, now that thing moves when you step on it. However it does not match my V8 Stang
Old 3/29/07, 02:33 PM
V6 Member

i bought a V6 instead of a GT cause i like having extra money to save or be stupid with. if i bought a GT, i'd be cutting it close and might have to work a second job to cover other expenses. no car to me is worth working 2 jobs for.
Old 3/29/07, 06:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

The only V6 I drive is my wifes Acura TL 2004 (270hp) if I remember correctly, now that thing moves when you step on it. However it does not match my V8 Stang
258hp, Acura got busted for over-rating their engines a couple years ago and had to drop #'s across the board for the 05 model year. Acura is really starting to feel the pain of having no V8 and no RWD and everybody's competitive products offering more power. Not to mention virtually 0 brand identity from the Accord(other then the nav start up screen, they are the same inside). For the yuppies-first-car segment, Infinity G is the king of the hill. They are not bad cars, but less then 4 model years into the line, they are getting very 'been there done that'. There must be 50 of them in my appartment complex, all dark red, white, or grey. Sometimes you see 4 spots in a row with them.

In the 2500-4000rpm range the 4.0V6 does have a LOT of torque.
Old 3/29/07, 06:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
What I'd like to see is that new 3.5 V-6 with 265HP they use in the Edge in a new Mustang.I'm not sure about torque specs on the 3.5 but the HP is getting up there with 4.6.
Old 3/29/07, 06:43 PM

My V6 has brought me more joy in a car I haven't had since my 70 mustang my brother and I towed home in 1978. (I actually owned an 80. What a poopy piece of junk. ) My wife gave me three stipulations if I wanted to buy a new Mustang--it had to be a convertable, automatic and under $20,000. I never thought it would happen until I stumbled across a convertible automatic 05 demo with 1700 miles on it. I got them down to $17,000. I couldn't believe my luck. I've tweaked it here and there and I just reflashed the engine to acknowledge the Granetelli throttle body.. no lag, plenty perky and plenty fast for the driving restrictions in my part of Ohio. It won't see salty roads. My insurance agent said even with my good record it would have been big bucks to insure the GT. Life is good.....
Old 3/29/07, 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GrabberOgre
What I'd like to see is that new 3.5 V-6 with 265HP they use in the Edge in a new Mustang.I'm not sure about torque specs on the 3.5 but the HP is getting up there with 4.6.

I'm sure that motor(with the D30 version) will take over all V6 duty by 2010 or so.
Old 3/29/07, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
258hp, Acura got busted for over-rating their engines a couple years ago and had to drop #'s across the board for the 05 model year. Acura is really starting to feel the pain of having no V8 and no RWD and everybody's competitive products offering more power. Not to mention virtually 0 brand identity from the Accord(other then the nav start up screen, they are the same inside). For the yuppies-first-car segment, Infinity G is the king of the hill. They are not bad cars, but less then 4 model years into the line, they are getting very 'been there done that'. There must be 50 of them in my appartment complex, all dark red, white, or grey. Sometimes you see 4 spots in a row with them.

In the 2500-4000rpm range the 4.0V6 does have a LOT of torque.
Ours is deep green pearl and my wife loves the car!! It is true that they dropped the HP rating in 05, however not to sure if it was due to lies. It had more to do with the way HP was being rated, but HP was not the reason we bought the car. As for it's comparison to a Honda, We had an 05 Accord V6 before this carand the difference is night and day!!!

As for the Mustang V6, I would like to see the TL and V6 Stang against eachother that would be a nice little match

I love my V8 and every little performance Mod I make just makes my GT that much faster than a V6. Put it this way you going to spend money just to get a V6 to even match the performance of a V8, so why not just by the V8? Yeah there are V6's out there with mods that put a stock or slightly modified V8 to shame. However just think if those mods were made to a V8, no competition.
Old 3/29/07, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Price and style...I like the V6 bumpers and pony package
Old 3/30/07, 06:16 AM

Is this like watching a dog chase his tail or what? Bottom line for me was simple economics. I take the extra coin in my pocket I get from having the V6 and put it in an IRA for my retirement. So when I get old I might say I wish I had gotten a V8, but what I won't be saying is I wish I saved for retirement. Call me what you want, but I am sleeping good at night. And I love my car! So if you got a GT, and don't wanna wave to me if we pass on the street cuz I got a V6, so be it. But I will give the mustanger wave to you regardless.
Old 3/30/07, 08:21 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is true that they dropped the HP rating in 05, however not to sure if it was due to lies.
True it wasn't really a lie per say to the old testing process but the old test aloud some room to tweak things that weren't taken in account that would give you a higher hp rating. But in esence it is a lie cause if you strap both cars on the dyno they will dyno exactly the same and the number will come out to the 258hp not the 270 in exact production specs.

Quick Reply: Your reason for buying a V6 instead of a GT.