2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

X-Plan questions

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/04, 01:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is MRSP, Invoice, A and X plans listed.

HOLDBACK: is money paid back to cover costs, the matrix works out that the average vehicle's cost to own works out to invoice. (People whine about what a quarter acre costs to develop but tend to forget the enormous costs of maintaining a dealership and owning 2300 vehicles in the center of town)

FDAF/LMDA ASSESSMENT pays for local advertizing from Ford, not the dealers i.e. "see your Washington area Ford dealers"

LESS APPROX. FIN. COST FOR DEALER ACCOUNT: is the cost of doing business with Ford.

Considering that Nike gets $150 all day long for $8 shoes, Dealers do not make the money they should selling cars. They make money in service, aftermarket, and finance. Dealers have such buying power however, that they can still add "points" on the buy rate of the loan to make money, and still beat a Credit Union rate, so everyone is happy. We are here to make money, not do favors. But it's nothing like Home Depot/Best Buy/ or Wall Mart profit-per-dollar by any means, let alone an Import auto dealer, they probably tripple the average proffit of a Ford dealer per unit, as Americans consistantly lay-down for their foreign tin boxes. If YOU had to buy 300 $25,000 widgets, store and maintain them and the full staff to do it, would YOU sell them for $25,600??
Old 7/9/04, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now you've gone and done it.
We're gonna get a ton of questions about that one.
Old 7/10/04, 12:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

I added it to FAQ, it pretty much explains itself
Old 7/10/04, 12:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Most of the people here dont live near me, so Im turning them loose on their local dealers. I'm building my "salesman grinder" army
Old 7/10/04, 11:04 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by kevinb120@July 10, 2004, 2:08 AM
I'm building my "salesman grinder" army
Old 7/10/04, 11:45 AM

The Ford X-Plan is offered to members of the Disabled American Veterans. If you qualify, it makes the life membership well worth the investment not to mention their commitment to serving veterans. You can make 2 X-Plan purchases per year.
Old 7/10/04, 02:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Dan+July 10, 2004, 12:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ July 10, 2004, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120@July 10, 2004, 2:08 AM
I'm building my "salesman grinder" army
[/b][/quote]
yup, just wind them up and kick 'em into play.......
Old 7/10/04, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by fordguy@July 10, 2004, 11:48 AM
The Ford X-Plan is offered to members of the Disabled American Veterans. If you qualify, it makes the life membership well worth the investment not to mention their commitment to serving veterans. You can make 2 X-Plan purchases per year.
DAV costs 125.00 for a lifetime membership, does AAA really offer members x-plan pricing???
Old 7/11/04, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by sajawebb+July 10, 2004, 10:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sajawebb @ July 10, 2004, 10:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-fordguy@July 10, 2004, 11:48 AM
DAV costs 125.00 for a lifetime membership, does AAA really offer members x-plan pricing???

[/b][/quote]
I do not know about AAA. There are some companies who provide X-Plan benefits for their employees and some organizations who provide X-Plan benefits for their members. The best thing to do is contact your Human Resources department of your or your spouse's employer and see if they are a Ford Partner providing X-Plan for their employees. If not, find an organization that provides X-Plan pricing for their members. Some organizations are strict about who can meet membership requirements. If you are a good negotiator you might be able to do better than X-Plan pricing. I just like the no-hassle pricing of the X-Plan. There are also some good auto negotiation services out there. My bank, USAA, provides this service for free if you finance auto purchases through them and they do a good job as well. Interestingly, USAA offers X-Plan to their employees, but not their members who are mostly military folks. We just get the negotiating services. You tell them what car you want and they tell you when it is ready. Fortunately I was able to get into DAV membership for exposure to chemical weapons in Al Kafijia, Iraq from the first Gulf War. I think DAV is raising their price for life membership this summer if they have not already.

Good Luck.
Old 7/11/04, 11:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Quoting Fordguy: Fortunately I was able to get into DAV membership for exposure to chemical weapons in Al Kafijia, Iraq from the first Gulf War. I think DAV is raising their price for life membership this summer if they have not already. Good Luck.

Fortunate regarding membership, but sorry about exposure. I too have a service related disability @ 40%, and plan to sign up next week for DAV membership. Best wishes!

Sgt
USArmy
Old 7/12/04, 02:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has probably been covered and I missed it or over looked it. Does Ford actually reimburse the dealer on X plan? IF so, is it possible to negotiate further down?

You can usually negotiate down near invoice. IF Ford provides money to the dealer on an xplan deal, you should be able to negotiate lower.
Old 7/12/04, 10:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by crazyhorse@July 12, 2004, 3:33 AM
This has probably been covered and I missed it or over looked it. Does Ford actually reimburse the dealer on X plan? IF so, is it possible to negotiate further down?

You can usually negotiate down near invoice. IF Ford provides money to the dealer on an xplan deal, you should be able to negotiate lower.
Technically if you 'break' the x-plan structure, its not valid if Ford audits it. You get the dealer's processing fees waived, and sometimes better FoCredit rates. Sometimes they have plan-only rebates. If you can negotiate a new Mustang down to about $125 over invoice, they need to fire their entire staff if they have so little to offer they cant build any value into one of the most signifigant automobiles in 20 years. duh.
Old 7/12/04, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120+July 12, 2004, 10:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ July 12, 2004, 10:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@July 12, 2004, 3:33 AM

Technically if you 'break' the x-plan structure, its not valid if Ford audits it. You get the dealer's processing fees waived, and sometimes better FoCredit rates. Sometimes they have plan-only rebates. If you can negotiate a new Mustang down to about $125 over invoice, they need to fire their entire staff if they have so little to offer they cant build any value into one of the most signifigant automobiles in 20 years. duh. [/b][/quote]
Sorry for the dumb question Kev, but is/isn't invoice profit for Ford??? I mean doesn't it cost significantly less to produce a Mustang than it's invoice price? I guess what I'm saying is Ford should be making a substantial profit for selling such a fine machine to consumers at invoice and dealers should make a correspondingly decent profit selling as close to MSRP as possible. SO...if the majority of the public buys near MSRP, what's the problem if a few of us want A or X-plan's, etc?
Old 7/12/04, 10:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ford ALWAYS makes the same money because the dealer buys it from them.
Old 7/13/04, 05:58 AM
GT Member

once you have done some research on invoice pricing and msrp and holdbacks, incentives and rebates..you have an idea of what the cost spread is between what the dealer paid for the car and what the selling price is. what you don't know and this is not easy to find out: what does it cost for ford to manufacture and build the mustang...the difference between that cost and the invoice price is the profit margin for ford. it has been reported in the past that on some sport utes the profit margin for the maufacturer is as high as 15000 dollars per truck. just a little bit of perspective on pricing. jackg 90seville 94k
Old 7/13/04, 08:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by justgreat@July 13, 2004, 7:01 AM
once you have done some research on invoice pricing and msrp and holdbacks, incentives and rebates..you have an idea of what the cost spread is between what the dealer paid for the car and what the selling price is. what you don't know and this is not easy to find out: what does it cost for ford to manufacture and build the mustang...the difference between that cost and the invoice price is the profit margin for ford. it has been reported in the past that on some sport utes the profit margin for the maufacturer is as high as 15000 dollars per truck. just a little bit of perspective on pricing. jackg 90seville 94k
Yea mustang will probably be "even" for about 8 months untill costs catch up with development. The excursion is the mack daddy at about 13,000 per copy now. It costs more to disolve the plant then to keep selling them in low volumes. Considering GM's "new" trucks technology, I wouldnt be surprised if they make less then 20k per tahoe now(after rebates). Where the money goes is anyone's guess. Domestics rebate cars as they become cheaper to produce. The kicker with imports, is even something like an accord or odessy, they have 'redone' the car, but still is not THAT much changed in 8 years. They most likely make excursion dollars by now on their sedans(not to mention they only use a handfull of platforms and engines to make their entire line), and STILL offer no rebates. and they line up in droves...........It still has no bearing on sale pricing(other then rebates), dealers still pay invoice and get reimbursed the holdback when they sell.
Old 7/13/04, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

The best time to use one of the plans is when there is a good rebates then you can sometime purchase the vehicle for less than the dealer paid for it. I bought a truck a couple of years ago and paid 7000.00 under MSRP.Ford right now has rebates up to 5000.00 on some models right now if you are needing a mini van, now is the time to get for your wife and convince her that with the money you are saving that new 05 Mustang will fit right in the budget
Old 7/13/04, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@July 12, 2004, 4:33 AM

X plan is supposed to be a set price so everyone who qualifies knows they got the same deal. Isn't that what customers want? One good, low, fair price that they know everyone pays. Of course it could get ruined by people saying "can't I get lower". I know, you were just asking.
Old 7/22/04, 05:11 AM

I just got wonderful news, that a friend of the family will give me an X-plan pin. My only question is, can I use this in conjunction with my Military discount?
Old 7/22/04, 07:57 AM
V6 Member

no

Quick Reply: X-Plan questions