2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/04, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My first post on these boards, though I've been reading a couple Mustang sites recently. I ordered my Mineral Grey GT about 2 weeks ago, and after seeing those pics I won't be disappointed. My only question is this... Which are the "standard" wheels on the GT, the bullitt ones that are on current stangs, or these ones I saw that were released by ford? The optional polished ones look a little too SUVish for me, but I'm not a fan of bullitts on the newer body style. When I ordered mine, I used pictures to describe what I wanted, thinking the bullitt style rim was being used because they had some left from the 04 models.

Great pics Amy.
Old 8/19/04, 08:14 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The real reason for cross drilling is to allow gases to escape. Under hard braking you literally can boil the brake lining material. This out gassing forms a layer between the brake rotor and the brake pad which reduces the effectiveness of the brakes. The holes (or slots on some rotors) allow the gases to escape out the vents as crazyhorse said.

Cross drilling will not prevent rotor warping.

Crazyhorse is also correct that drilled and slotted rotors are more prone to cracking. In general the life of cross drilled & slotted rotors is much less than for regular vented rotors.

Bottom line is that cross drilled or slotted rotors are of little use on street cars. They are really for road racing cars.

Thanks to Amy ( & Proc) for the photos & stories.
Old 8/19/04, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok.. lemme try to answer some of the questions haha keep in mind, this was a very short drive.. "maybe a minute and a half" and some of the stuff I wanted to do.. I completely forgot. Once you got it in.. it was like.. LET'S DRIVE!!

The Ford 500 is a nice roomy sedan. I'm not much of a sedan fan, but this one felt nice. Didn't "seem" as large as the Taurus does. Holds 8 HUGE golf club bags in the trunk and has 8 cup holders in it. With that many cup holders, you'd think it would come with it's own port-a-john. The 500 had a shorter track space to drive it, but we got to drive around 2 lapse.

The Freestyle has a VERY good turning radius(sp?). It sat up much like the Escape does.. but without so many blind spots. 3rd row seating is standard and all the seats fold flat down. Very comfy ride.

The Mustang was THE hit of the day. Sooo glad I signed up for the early slot. There was barely a wait when I was first there. And I am very glad they had an auto V8 and after we all were complaining in line, they brought it out. And when I switched tags with my mom (SHUSH.. I wanted to drive it again and had to think of something sneaky to do it) I stood in line for over an hour to ride the screaming yellow manual GT.

As said before.. judging by the line and by the parking lot (lots of stangs ) I think Ford is gonna have no problem at all selling the new Mustang.
Old 8/19/04, 08:16 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@August 19, 2004, 8:10 PM
My first post on these boards, though I've been reading a couple Mustang sites recently. I ordered my Mineral Grey GT about 2 weeks ago, and after seeing those pics I won't be disappointed. My only question is this... Which are the "standard" wheels on the GT, the bullitt ones that are on current stangs, or these ones I saw that were released by ford? The optional polished ones look a little too SUVish for me, but I'm not a fan of bullitts on the newer body style. When I ordered mine, I used pictures to describe what I wanted, thinking the bullitt style rim was being used because they had some left from the 04 models.

Great pics Amy.
Bullitts are standard

machined are optional (there is a shot of them in Amy's phots).

The photo you posted is of the 18" wheels which will not be available until sometime next year. There is some debate whether the 18's will be an option on the GT or reserved for a SE.
Old 8/19/04, 08:21 PM

Ok, thanks V10. In that case I might have to buy some aftermarket wheels. Why not, I'm going to have this car for a while, might as well get everything I like for it.

This is going to be my best birthday present ever.
Old 8/19/04, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by AZOmae@August 19, 2004, 2:31 PM
And it looks like there is plenty of room in the trunk, even with the Shaker 1000 sub's.

Wow, I kind of wished I hadn't seen these pics, because 8 weeks looks all the more further away.

Glad you had a great experience though!!!
The trunk space is HUGE!! The shaker 1000 sub's were just off to the right side of the trunk... but still plenty of space.

Oh.. the black auto GT that's under the tents. I turned on the lights and the speedo had a really nice electric blue for it. I did ask about the radio lights.. they are still that green color. The cup holders are deep, should put an end to the spilling of cups when taking a sharp turn :bang:

When I first saw pics of the interior.. I hated it.. thought no way I'd every like it. But, looking at my 2001 interior.. what a HUGE improvement.

Another thing I noticed with the front dash on all the new cars (Mustang, 500, Freestyle and F 150) they all have almost the same dash design, the same styling cues. Very classy.
Old 8/19/04, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by DimitriPopov@August 19, 2004, 2:57 PM
Oh Amy <3 Looks like Ill be going to the Cincinnati event afterall
Old 8/19/04, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, you can even see that on the new Fusion interior.
Old 8/19/04, 08:25 PM

cool, I remembered my name and password, I didn't log in and comment before because I didn't think I'd remember what they were.

anyway, I love the V7 video, that lady must have been like "whaaaaat?" HAHAHA inside jokes are funny like that.. did you explain the whole V7 thing to her?

Great pics and vids anyhoo, AMAY for president.
Old 8/19/04, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2005muzzy+August 19, 2004, 3:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2005muzzy @ August 19, 2004, 3:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-05MustangSB@August 19, 2004, 1:19 PM
i love how we can vicariously live through AMY!!!!!!!
Hey Amy!!!!
What color looked best in person???? That mineral Grey is really growing on me!! best min grey pics yet!!!!!
Great job!!!!!!!!!!
Tony- Albany NY [/b][/quote]
I like 'em all. I think they finally got this one right. Every color stands out and looks awesome!

Was hoping Ford offered Mineral Grey with the red interior.. and once I actually say in it and drove it... sweet *****!! :worship:

And the red's look fantastic and I'm not a red fan at all.
Old 8/19/04, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by veets98@August 19, 2004, 3:48 PM
Amy, I was there as well today. Arrived early and waited about 15 minutes to drive, not long after you, I think. You are correct that the V-6 was not the car of choice, 3 people in front of me passed on it and I did as well. I ended up driving the Mineral Grey auto Gt. The course was the south end of the old Grand Prix course at the southern tip of the island, shapped like a wide "V". You were allowed to blast down the straightaway towards the southern tip until you reached a designated braking zone, which you were mildly reminded of by your seatmate. You braked and made a 90 degree turn unto what was once another straight but you got to use just a bit of it until you reached some cones that setup a bit of a slalom course. Then you made a hard left towards the fountain, went thru some esses then around the SE side of the fountain then pulled up for the next driver.

I grew up in the era of the 60's GTO's, and the acceleration of this car brought back some memories. When you nail it it does push you back into the seat. With the auto that took a few moments, I imagine the manual would get you there quicker. The car handled impressively, very flat thru the turns, I did not notice any steering anamolies. You pointed it and it went there. I did not notice much about the ride, it was after all about a one minute ride, but nothing comes to mind that I could consider undesirable. It was a very nice car to drive.

I think the seating position is better, the seats are way better, and the interior is lights years ahead of the current edition. This car is one heck of an improvement.

I also drove the Freestar, only because the line was so short. So short, in fact, that they said take two laps. The Freestar is a hybrid of an SUV and a van built on an auto chassis. It has a CV transmission and three rows of seating, sort of like an elevated station wagon. But don't let that fool you. This is one impressive vehicle. The course setup for it was a short acceleration zone, a braking area followed by a 180 degree turn, a slalom area and then some bumps in the road followed by another 180 degree slowdown area. This vehicle has very good acceleration, and it handles incedibly well for a vehicle of that size. I was very impressed, I think this vehicle will dovery well, as the CVT will provide improved gas mileage over the competition, in addition to its other impressive qualities.

I did not drive the 500 simply because I don't care about cars of that sort.

All in all it was a nice show by Ford. And judging by the size of the line waiting to drive the Mustang, which by the time I left I guessed to be a two hour wait, the Mustang is going to be a huge success. I am going to wait for 2006, as some engineers I talked to there said there will be at least one special edition in 2006, not counting the Cobra.
The seats are waaaaaaaaaay better.

The 500 also had the CVT.

Welcome Allen Nice review.
Old 8/19/04, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@August 19, 2004, 4:37 PM
Amy, you are like Wilson on Home improvement. Every picture is just your helmet or just the side of your head or whatever. It's kinda funny.

When do we get to see the real Amy?

Nice pics by the way.

I have a V7
Old 8/19/04, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Proc@August 19, 2004, 5:22 PM
I had a 3PM arrival time today (got there at 2:30)...here's my take on the drive...

-The line by 2:30 was so long, that it was a 2 hour wait to drive a manual GT.

-A rep. walked down the line and asked if anyone wanted to drive an automatic. My crew and I said "yes" and presto...2 hour wait down to 5 minutes. Seriously, everyone wanted to drive the stick. Seeing as an automatic will be in my future this time, it made sense to drive the auto.

-No one, sans a few, wanted to drive the V6. However, I talked to a few that did and they gave it glowing reviews and remarked as to how fast it was compared to the old 6.

-I drove a black GT with IUP including the red leather. It was a beautiful car. Seats were extremely comfortable.

-As others have said, once you made the first turn, they had you slow down or stop and then were told to "punch it". I was impressed at the auto's grip and go and by the time I hit the pylons down the straightaway, I was nearing 80mph. I enjoyed turning through the cones as well. There is minimal roll, but moreso than if I were to take my SVT Focus through the cones. However, when it comes to sheer speed, all I can say is "wow!". I enjoyed the automatic. I know the purists may cringe and say "stick only", but this auto was fun and to be honest, I didn't want to wait 2 hours for a stick when 5 minutes was all the wait for the auto.

-The retro speedo is just too cool. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my family had a '66, '67 and '68.

-The car felt solid. I know that sounds generic, but everything from closing the door to steering to seats felt great.

-The Shaker 1000 audio system is FANTASTIC.

-I sat in the back seat and had my buddy get in the front (of the display car in the tent area). He's around 5' 9". I had a good inch of leg room in the back seat behind him. It would be tight back there with 6+ footers, but overall, the back seats are very soft and comfortable.

-The V6 with the appearance package, silver dash trim, leather seats and Shaker 1000 would be enough to convince even some of the hardcore V8-ers here, that it has merit as a 'Stang. Must be, cuz the Order Guide says, 68% of the '05's will be V6s.

-The 500 is going to sell well. Nice family car. But it wasn't the focus of the day thats for sure! The Freestyle looks like a station wagon. They can call it a "Crossover SUV" all they want. Its a modern wagon.

-I was standing next to NASCAR driver Ricky Rudd when he came over and took the mic. He was going to give the 'Stang a spin. I never realized that he was that short.

Overall, it was a great day. The sun came out, the temp was in the low 70s, the Detroit River was a nice shade of blue, and new the Mustang rocked my world.

This 39 year old guy felt twenty "365's" younger!!!

I'll be buying this car next spring, period.

And Amy...great pics. You captured the event perfectly!
Awesome review... read it when I got home
Old 8/19/04, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@August 19, 2004, 6:09 PM
Amy, you know what would have been priceless, though it probably only would happen to me , if you got in the car and the Ford person was the lady you screamed at!
No doubt. I was wondering if she might show up.
Old 8/19/04, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by montreal ponies@August 19, 2004, 7:06 PM
I'll buy you a Molson when we meet.....Good job.....
Mmmmm love me some canadian beer Labatt Blue is a fav.
Old 8/19/04, 08:35 PM

Wow you've even got the classy "angled mirror" picture thing goin on

Yea, I'm gonna need a whole case of Labatt Blue or Molson Canadian to celebrate when I get this car... you know... after I drive it
Old 8/19/04, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Red04WRX@August 19, 2004, 8:28 PM
cool, I remembered my name and password, I didn't log in and comment before because I didn't think I'd remember what they were.

anyway, I love the V7 video, that lady must have been like "whaaaaat?" HAHAHA inside jokes are funny like that.. did you explain the whole V7 thing to her?

Great pics and vids anyhoo, AMAY for president.
I have no idea why I said it and I sounded so serious about it too.

<---- DORK haha It's all your fault that I made that comment. I didn't bother explaining it to her, she was scared enough
Old 8/19/04, 08:37 PM
FR500 Member

WOW AMY U R SOO LUCKY!! marry me please
Old 8/19/04, 08:39 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Amy V6+August 19, 2004, 9:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amy V6 @ August 19, 2004, 9:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-montreal ponies@August 19, 2004, 7:06 PM
Mmmmm love me some canadian beer Labatt Blue is a fav. [/b][/quote]
Amy, I just found out this afternoon, I'm coming to Detoit for Convergence in Oct. at the Cobo center.

From everyone here, I'll buy the Labatts.
Old 8/19/04, 08:40 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by mr-mstng+August 19, 2004, 9:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mr-mstng @ August 19, 2004, 9:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Amy V6@August 19, 2004, 9:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-montreal ponies
@August 19, 2004, 7:06 PM

Mmmmm love me some canadian beer Labatt Blue is a fav.
Amy, I just found out this afternoon, I'm coming to Detoit for Convergence in Oct. at the Cobo center.

From everyone here, I'll buy the Labatts. [/b][/quote]
Make sure you cross over to Windsor to buy the "real stuff"

the american version doesn't taste the same