2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/04, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amy, I was there as well today. Arrived early and waited about 15 minutes to drive, not long after you, I think. You are correct that the V-6 was not the car of choice, 3 people in front of me passed on it and I did as well. I ended up driving the Mineral Grey auto Gt. The course was the south end of the old Grand Prix course at the southern tip of the island, shapped like a wide "V". You were allowed to blast down the straightaway towards the southern tip until you reached a designated braking zone, which you were mildly reminded of by your seatmate. You braked and made a 90 degree turn unto what was once another straight but you got to use just a bit of it until you reached some cones that setup a bit of a slalom course. Then you made a hard left towards the fountain, went thru some esses then around the SE side of the fountain then pulled up for the next driver.

I grew up in the era of the 60's GTO's, and the acceleration of this car brought back some memories. When you nail it it does push you back into the seat. With the auto that took a few moments, I imagine the manual would get you there quicker. The car handled impressively, very flat thru the turns, I did not notice any steering anamolies. You pointed it and it went there. I did not notice much about the ride, it was after all about a one minute ride, but nothing comes to mind that I could consider undesirable. It was a very nice car to drive.

I think the seating position is better, the seats are way better, and the interior is lights years ahead of the current edition. This car is one heck of an improvement.

I also drove the Freestar, only because the line was so short. So short, in fact, that they said take two laps. The Freestar is a hybrid of an SUV and a van built on an auto chassis. It has a CV transmission and three rows of seating, sort of like an elevated station wagon. But don't let that fool you. This is one impressive vehicle. The course setup for it was a short acceleration zone, a braking area followed by a 180 degree turn, a slalom area and then some bumps in the road followed by another 180 degree slowdown area. This vehicle has very good acceleration, and it handles incedibly well for a vehicle of that size. I was very impressed, I think this vehicle will dovery well, as the CVT will provide improved gas mileage over the competition, in addition to its other impressive qualities.

I did not drive the 500 simply because I don't care about cars of that sort.

All in all it was a nice show by Ford. And judging by the size of the line waiting to drive the Mustang, which by the time I left I guessed to be a two hour wait, the Mustang is going to be a huge success. I am going to wait for 2006, as some engineers I talked to there said there will be at least one special edition in 2006, not counting the Cobra.
Old 8/19/04, 04:00 PM

Amy, let me add my accolades to all those you've already received. Thanks very much for the writeup and photos. If you would, please answer one question from a baby boomer in mid-life crisis who wants a vert gt. How stiff was the clutch with the hydraulic assist? I want a stick bad but want to make sure I can drive it in heavy traffic.
Old 8/19/04, 04:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Outstanding job Amy!!!!

:worship: :worship: :worship:
Old 8/19/04, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

everything looks great abuot that car. i love everything except for onething. the type and location of the antenna. i will look around for something better to replace it with when i get it i guess.
Old 8/19/04, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by jsheehan+August 19, 2004, 3:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jsheehan @ August 19, 2004, 3:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Amy V6@August 19, 2004, 1:42 PM

The poor redfire V6 that no one wanted to drive :9
This redfire V6 looks very nice. I love the rims on the V6, the fogless front, and the rocker panel stripes. They should make those rims in 17" or 18", and have some sort of fog light delete option for the GT. [/b][/quote]
Agreed on all counts. The rims are way cool and I love the clean, fogless look. The stripe breaks up the monotony well.
Old 8/19/04, 04:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amy, you are like Wilson on Home improvement. Every picture is just your helmet or just the side of your head or whatever. It's kinda funny.

When do we get to see the real Amy?

Nice pics by the way.
Old 8/19/04, 04:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@August 19, 2004, 1:32 PM
Amy, you're one of my favorites.
Owner's pet, Owner's Pet.
Old 8/19/04, 04:46 PM
V6 Member

Amy, Thank you so much for the picture of the Black GT. That is the exact car I have on order. I did not opt for the chrome rims, so mine will have the grey bullitts just like the one in your picture. I am just like everyone else the middle of October just seems so far away. You are the Greatest. Keep it up Girl!
Old 8/19/04, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice pics, Amy. I really want to drive one of those manual GT's. The black one looked really good.
Old 8/19/04, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

I had a 3PM arrival time today (got there at 2:30)...here's my take on the drive...

-The line by 2:30 was so long, that it was a 2 hour wait to drive a manual GT.

-A rep. walked down the line and asked if anyone wanted to drive an automatic. My crew and I said "yes" and presto...2 hour wait down to 5 minutes. Seriously, everyone wanted to drive the stick. Seeing as an automatic will be in my future this time, it made sense to drive the auto.

-No one, sans a few, wanted to drive the V6. However, I talked to a few that did and they gave it glowing reviews and remarked as to how fast it was compared to the old 6.

-I drove a black GT with IUP including the red leather. It was a beautiful car. Seats were extremely comfortable.

-As others have said, once you made the first turn, they had you slow down or stop and then were told to "punch it". I was impressed at the auto's grip and go and by the time I hit the pylons down the straightaway, I was nearing 80mph. I enjoyed turning through the cones as well. There is minimal roll, but moreso than if I were to take my SVT Focus through the cones. However, when it comes to sheer speed, all I can say is "wow!". I enjoyed the automatic. I know the purists may cringe and say "stick only", but this auto was fun and to be honest, I didn't want to wait 2 hours for a stick when 5 minutes was all the wait for the auto.

-The retro speedo is just too cool. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my family had a '66, '67 and '68.

-The car felt solid. I know that sounds generic, but everything from closing the door to steering to seats felt great.

-The Shaker 1000 audio system is FANTASTIC.

-I sat in the back seat and had my buddy get in the front (of the display car in the tent area). He's around 5' 9". I had a good inch of leg room in the back seat behind him. It would be tight back there with 6+ footers, but overall, the back seats are very soft and comfortable.

-The V6 with the appearance package, silver dash trim, leather seats and Shaker 1000 would be enough to convince even some of the hardcore V8-ers here, that it has merit as a 'Stang. Must be, cuz the Order Guide says, 68% of the '05's will be V6s.

-The 500 is going to sell well. Nice family car. But it wasn't the focus of the day thats for sure! The Freestyle looks like a station wagon. They can call it a "Crossover SUV" all they want. Its a modern wagon.

-I was standing next to NASCAR driver Ricky Rudd when he came over and took the mic. He was going to give the 'Stang a spin. I never realized that he was that short.

Overall, it was a great day. The sun came out, the temp was in the low 70s, the Detroit River was a nice shade of blue, and new the Mustang rocked my world.

This 39 year old guy felt twenty "365's" younger!!!

I'll be buying this car next spring, period.

And Amy...great pics. You captured the event perfectly!
Old 8/19/04, 05:28 PM
GT Member

I am absolutely loving these reports! I was excited for today for this exact reason. Many thanks to all of you that have taken time to let us enjoy these events through you.
Old 8/19/04, 05:30 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
VIDS COMING
Had inbound mail problems before I left work.
I'll host una momento.
Old 8/19/04, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice Pics! Great reading! B)
Old 8/19/04, 05:36 PM

Slight mod
Old 8/19/04, 05:36 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Boomer@August 19, 2004, 4:33 PM
VIDS COMING
Had inbound mail problems before I left work.
I'll host una momento.
cant wait
Old 8/19/04, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome! Videos are coming!
Old 8/19/04, 05:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Amy1 - Right Click, Save As

Amy2 - Right Click, Save As

Amy 3 - V7s RULE YOU!!!

Amy 4 - Right Click, Save As

Thanks for the awsome job Amz
Old 8/19/04, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Amy, you know what would have been priceless, though it probably only would happen to me , if you got in the car and the Ford person was the lady you screamed at!
Old 8/19/04, 06:06 PM

Amy you are a godess!!!
Is the redfire good looking in person: i have it narrowed down to that of Mineral Grey w/ red leather interior! What's Your opinion?
Old 8/19/04, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Holy crap I love video 3, the in-car one. That gives a great feeling.