2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Will your dealer demo yours

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/04, 01:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For everyone that has one due soon, don't just assume the dealer isn't going to "use" your car to demo drive. I know everyone expects they won't, but you better have the discussion before it hits the ground. If you don't, I guarantee every mechanic, salesperson, lot kid, janitor, etc... will be running it.

Before everyone starts yelling "they better not, or else!" think about it. If you've waited since May, finally get there and it has 60 miles on it, are you really going to start the process over? The dealer knows most won't, and alot probably won't care if you do because they'll sell it anyway.

We do about 30% of our business as sold orders, so we've got a set policy that nobody drives a sold unit, except to gas and PDI, no exceptions. Heck, I sell them and probably won't get to drive a GT until after December (everything will probably be pre-sold). I know some dealers are telling people they can't pick up their ordered cars until another one arrives so they can at least visually show it to other customers.

These cars usually come of the truck with 5 miles or less on them, if they are test driven at the plant for quality checks there will be a sticker stating how many miles they drove it.

Not trying to upset anyone, just pick up the phone and politely "remind" your dealer that you expect to put the first miles on it.

Paul
Old 9/23/04, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

My father is a Manager at the dealership I ordered from, he assured me that noone would be test driving my car but me. I expect it to have single digit miles on it when I take ownership.

This is a good suggestion, People should make sure their dealership understand their opinion on this.
Old 9/23/04, 02:47 PM

I asked my dealer about this today. I made sure he understood that I did not want Joe public driving my car. He said they would not, but the car would be on the showroom floor for viewing until I pick it up. I don't see it lasting very long. If the mileage is more than 5-10 miles

James
Old 9/23/04, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. Thank you for reminding me.

I emailed my dealer this:

"I know that you still don't have a build date yet for the Mustang (ordered 6/14), but I just wanted to mention if I could please request that after my vechicle gets to the lot that I put the first (test/actual driving) miles on it. That would be much appreciated. Thanks."

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm being too **** or snotty.
Old 9/23/04, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not **** or snotty at all! You are paying for the car - not anyone who would test drive it.

I am buying mine through the military program and it will hit the lot 13 days before I get there. I spoke with the sales manager two weeks ago, provided him the info on when I'd arrive, etc. I also mentioned, I do not want ANYONE driving my car. I understand it has to be driven to a parking spot, but that is it. I don't even care if they fill it up with gas......I want miles 5-???? to be because of me. Not Randy in the window tinting department. He stated that they wouldn't let the public drive it since it was already sold and paid for, and that they'd like to have the car cleaned up for when I pick it up. So the only driving it would see would be on the lot.

So - should I let them clean it? Will they do it right? Who knows. I told him I'd call back. But that my main concern is that I don't want unnecessary miles on my car.
Old 9/23/04, 04:42 PM
GT Member

I wouldn't want mileage on my car either, but let me explain what happened to me 10 years ago. I ordered my car (a 95 del Sol) and when I got it, it had 91 miles on it. The dealership told me that they had to transport it from another dealership across town (Denver). They noted on the paperwork that it had 91 miles when I took ownership. Guess what? It had problems. But because the dealership had put 91 miles on it, I got a new one a week later, with all kinds of upgrades that I hadn't ordered on the one I got with 91 miles on it. I didn't ask what would have happened if I got it without any mileage, but I know how warrantees work.....THEY DON'T!!!

If there is mileage, make sure it's noted on the paperwork!!
Old 9/23/04, 04:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

I will be notified when the truck arrives with my mustang. I requested to be there when it is offloaded ,BEFORE it is prepped so I can locate and put in my scrap book the build sheet and other momento stuff. It's just 10 minutes away from work. I will be photographing the event kinda like when my kids arrived. Yes everyone thinks I'm obsessed! Well I've waited a long... long time for this So yea it will be my baby... And to think guys can't have babies... Well This one is mine all mine
Old 9/23/04, 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

i've already told my dealer i'll be standing out there @ 10:00 at night when they take delivery. And then I'll be there at 6:00 waiting for them to open. the kid will only be allowed to drive it from the lot to the carwash to the front lot. it should have less than 5 miles on it by the time I get in it.
Old 9/23/04, 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

If they want to "demo" it. I'll print up cards and give them to the dealer. They can pay me if they want me to show my car.
Old 9/23/04, 05:08 PM
Cobra Member

If I had one on order, I'd be like the rest of you... Just get there as soon as it does, and you can pretty much rest assured that your car will know you and you alone as "mommy."

Old 9/23/04, 06:07 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will make sure as well that I get in writing that my car will not be used for testdrives
Old 9/23/04, 06:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

...and if anyone's presold car has more than single digit mileage??? All the Mustang Sourcers know...that's grounds for...

...yes, the Salesman Ding Ding Manuever!!! Also known as the Ding Ding Drop Kick, or the KevinB Special

Old 9/23/04, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 66K2Plus2@September 23, 2004, 4:49 PM
I will be notified when the truck arrives with my mustang. I requested to be there when it is offloaded ,BEFORE it is prepped so I can locate and put in my scrap book the build sheet and other momento stuff. It's just 10 minutes away from work. I will be photographing the event kinda like when my kids arrived. Yes everyone thinks I'm obsessed! Well I've waited a long... long time for this So yea it will be my baby... And to think guys can't have babies... Well This one is mine all mine
Unfortunately, they can be dropped off 24/7, so you may not get to see it come off the truck. Also, the driver of the transport isn't going to wait for you to unload, but hopefully the timing works out right.

Paul
Old 9/23/04, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 02 was dropped off with no one at the dealership in the middle of the night. It was placed in the middle of the lot and had just been through a blizzard the last few days before getting there. Needless to say anything can happen!
Old 9/23/04, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GMAYS@September 23, 2004, 8:15 PM
...and if anyone's presold car has more than single digit mileage??? All the Mustang Sourcers know...that's grounds for...

...yes, the Salesman Ding Ding Manuever!!! Also known as the Ding Ding Drop Kick, or the KevinB Special

what if it's a woman salesperson?????
Old 9/23/04, 07:01 PM
Queen Of Nascar

whew...I thought I was the only one that had it that bad
Old 9/23/04, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
I think (and this is NOT a criticism in any way) that we're all having WAY too much fun thinking about this. . . :P

But, yeah, make sure any mileage is noted in the paperwork. In the run of things a coupla dozen miles isn't much out of God-knows-how-many we'll put on 'em before they become someone elses' car one day.

But I understand the feeling too. My last car was a showroom car and only had 11 miles on it. I have to admit I liked that.

You know, I haven't had a Mustang now for three years. It is almost the only time in my life I haven't driven Mustangs. It will be SO GOOD to get behind the wheel of one again. . .
Old 9/23/04, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

so, if you get the standard 3000 miles/ 3 year warranty. does it expire at 3000 miles or 3012 (after all the guys at the dealership get their turn doing brodies in the back lot)?
Old 9/23/04, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Make sure and let your dealer know that you don't want dealer stickers, license plate brackets ot anything else on the car either.
Old 9/23/04, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by derynf@September 23, 2004, 7:36 PM
so, if you get the standard 3000 miles/ 3 year warranty. does it expire at 3000 miles or 3012 (after all the guys at the dealership get their turn doing brodies in the back lot)?

That is SO true. Hey you just dicked me outta 12 miles buddy!

Uh, Mr. Salesguy...Do I get a discount for those burnt tires too?

Quick Reply: Will your dealer demo yours