2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

will 300hp be enough?

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/04, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 will be just fine for me, it's all the HP needed to have lot's of fun on the streets and down the highways. Bolt on whatever else you might need if it's not enough.
The dealer by me has had 6 or 7 GTO's sitting up front on his lot all summer long. I drive by every weekend and there they sit. They're ugly, not american and overpriced. They could put a 700 HP engine in it and wouldn't matter. GM just needed something to put out there in absence of the Camaro I think.
Old 8/9/04, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Indystang@August 9, 2004, 12:46 PM
300 will be just fine for me, it's all the HP needed to have lot's of fun on the streets and down the highways. Bolt on whatever else you might need if it's not enough.
The dealer by me has had 6 or 7 GTO's sitting up front on his lot all summer long. I drive by every weekend and there they sit. They're ugly, not american and overpriced. They could put a 700 HP engine in it and wouldn't matter. GM just needed something to put out there in absence of the Camaro I think.
I think you hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!
Old 8/14/04, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

For me the vehicle will be a daily driver. 300 hp will be just fine, thank you. Sure if they made the GT with 350 I'd be saying 350 hp will be just fine, but for a daily driver who doesn't hit the track on the weekends, there has to be a limit somewhere! Maybe we can quibble about the limit being 320 or 350 or 370, but if the 2006 SE has 500 hp, do I really want to drive that to work in the rain?

There seem to be a lot of people here who are looking for more, yet when we polled to see how many had been timed at a track, only about 10% had. So what are people doing with 400+ hp?

I'm not trying to start an arguement. I really want to know. Do people really use 400+ hp as daily drivers, or is it your weekend toy, or what?

:scratch:
Old 8/14/04, 02:34 PM
Cobra Member

If you have a fast car and you don't race it (at the track or anywhere else), to me you're just trying to make up for inadequacies in your life by buying a car you don't need nor will ever fully use. Because if I was buying a car with no intention to race it, I surely wouldn't buy a Corvette. There are many slower cars out there that for the same price you can have very nice luxury and comfort.
Old 8/14/04, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes.
Old 8/14/04, 04:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I was hoping this topic would be dead by the time I got back. Find one car with 300hp stock for the price. I read about 5 magazines on my flight from Iceland to Boise Idaho and many european cars that turn out about the same horsepower or just a bit more cost 3 times as much. It will do just fine!
Old 8/14/04, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

Ain't that the truth... 300hp is more than most people here need anyway.
Old 8/14/04, 06:18 PM

We were up in Pennsylvania last week and my mother-in-law wanted to look at a GTO. So we drove by the dealership and she had to get out and look at the back of each car for emblems to look for the GTO mixed in with tons of Sunfire's and Grandprix's. I thought that was funny.
Old 8/14/04, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking

turned 18 this week, i think 300hp is more than enought for my first car. B)
Old 8/14/04, 08:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dr Iven@August 14, 2004, 2:37 PM
If you have a fast car and you don't race it (at the track or anywhere else), to me you're just trying to make up for inadequacies in your life by buying a car you don't need nor will ever fully use. Because if I was buying a car with no intention to race it, I surely wouldn't buy a Corvette. There are many slower cars out there that for the same price you can have very nice luxury and comfort.
Well I race to work so I guess I am covered. The only inadequacy in my life is a garage with no Mustang in it.
Old 8/14/04, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Treadhead+August 14, 2004, 8:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Treadhead @ August 14, 2004, 8:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dr Iven@August 14, 2004, 2:37 PM
Well I race to work so I guess I am covered. The only inadequacy in my life is a garage with no Mustang in it. [/b][/quote]
Old 8/14/04, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

300 isn't enough for me. I'm gonna wait for the Cobra.
Old 8/15/04, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Dr Iven, I know what you are saying and once I get my mustang I will race it at the track but I do have a friend how bought an 04 Z06 and he doens't race it at the track and probably never will. But he loves to take corners in it and race people on the street so I am guessing the people that buy these type of cars probably do the same or just like to have it just to say they have it!
Old 8/15/04, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I know that's why most people drive Vettes. There are a few who actually realize what their cars can do. But, the only reason I said that is because I ALWAYS see guys in their 50's-60's around here moving like molasses in their Vettes. It's a real big image thing, and it's just a shame, because they're great cars.

And I don't mean like "race" race. But, I'm talking about just getting out on the open highway and really opening it up. Taking off fast from lights when you're out there on your own and seeing how fast it can take you to, erm, the speed limit.

:cop:
Old 8/15/04, 12:05 PM
GT Member

So, Dr. Iven, what your telling us is that you NEED to to race your car just as you NEED to drink or eat or even breathe. I think not. You WANT to race your car just as others want a 300hp vehicle for a multitude of other reasons. Aren't those other reasons just as valid as your reason for wanting a new Mustang?
Old 8/15/04, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

Whoa, whoa, that's not what I said at all!

All I'm saying is that for $45,000, a much nicer car than the C5 can be had. What's the point in getting a Corvette other than the image or the speed? People are entitled to spend their hard-earned money on whatever they want, but everyone knows the C5's interior is full of Batmobile-asthetics, and for the same money, I simply said I'D rather have a Lexus, Acura, Bimmer, etc. if I wasn't going to use the LS1 engine. It's nothing about need. I personally DON'T race. I think it's irresponsible to race on the streets, especially in traffic.

But, I think for many Corvette owners, the car could have an old 215hp 5.0L engine underhood and they wouldn't know any better while driving. And as a performance enthusiast, it's a shame to me.
Old 8/15/04, 05:06 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Power is about competition. Who has the fastest car. People don't even need to race. If I have 300hp and you have 215hp, that's it, end of story.

I'm very happy with 300hp. Would I take 350hp? In a second. Why? Because instead of being faster than 95% of the cars I'd be faster than 99% of the cars (including all the F-bodies). The chances of someone having a faster car than me goes down. I will always win (have the better car).

That's looking at it from a male competitive perspective.

Now, I'm also an avid car enthusiast. The thought of having 350 ponies under my foot for whenever I feel like releasing them is amazing as well. Its a bit of both.

Driving wise for myself, 300hp is probably more than enough. The main reason I would want more is to be faster than the other cars close to me speedwise (WS6 for example).

However, different people have different measuring sticks. Some people say you have a faster car in a straight line, but my car will kick yours in the curves which they believe is a more accurate judge of a car's performance (a valid arguement I might add). For some, a 180hp engine will do if it has amazing styling.