2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

why wasnt IRS used?

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/06, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thankfull for the bean counters, we were on the bubble for our Mustang GT, if IRS ment $5000 more for our Mustang GT, we may not have been able to get it.

I hope there is a special place in heaven for the bean counters.
Old 8/12/06, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
IRS is probably cheaper then people think. The newer explorer/expys have actually gotten cheaper then the old ones, and the expys are dropping about $4500 in price again for 07, with 6 speed autos. They probably will change it in 09 with the D35 6 showing up and possibly all new V8's(as the Fseries gets chaged in the same year too). And reading auto rags for the 'truth' about the Camaro is kinda silly.
Old 8/12/06, 05:19 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomServo92
Uh, thanks for the voluminous post but you didn't answer the question I asked of Jack Frost, which is does he have any demographic data that backs up his assertion that young people aren't buying Mustangs?
Well if somebody could further define what they mean by "young people," then maybe I could.
Old 8/12/06, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Well if somebody could further define what they mean by "young people," then maybe I could.
I would define "young people" as 18-30.
Old 8/13/06, 04:09 AM
Closet American

I would define "young people" as 18-30.
So you're saying everybody over 30 are old?
Old 8/13/06, 04:52 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
How about we extend it to 18-34 . . . that way I still have a couple years on the "young" clock!
Old 8/13/06, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
So you're saying everybody over 30 are old?
Well I'm 42 and I feel old!

Actually, I was after the college and just-out-of-college age group.
Old 8/13/06, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Uh, thanks for the voluminous post but you didn't answer the question I asked of Jack Frost, which is does he have any demographic data that backs up his assertion that young people aren't buying Mustangs?
I don't have hard data regard my assertion. It's based partly on personal impression and partly on 'peripheral' data (such as the awful numbers coming out of Ford these days).

But hey, I'm allowed to convey my impressions, just like a lot of the pro-SRA folks on this thread that assert or have posted that the SRA came about by Ford 'listening to their customers'.

I'd like to know the break down of customers that actually demanded a SRA.

I'd also like to know the percentage of Mustang owners that are hard core drag racers...because evidently their numbers are so large that they, too, influenced the choice of the SRA.
Old 8/13/06, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jack Frost
I don't have hard data regard my assertion. It's based partly on personal impression and partly on 'peripheral' data (such as the awful numbers coming out of Ford these days).

But hey, I'm allowed to convey my impressions, just like a lot of the pro-SRA folks on this thread that assert or have posted that the SRA came about by Ford 'listening to their customers'.

I'd like to know the break down of customers that actually demanded a SRA.

I'd also like to know the percentage of Mustang owners that are hard core drag racers...because evidently their numbers are so large that they, too, influenced the choice of the SRA.
Fair enough. I will say that there are 5 new Mustangs in the parking lot where I work and 4 of them are owned by recent college grads in their mid-20s. While it's not hard, scientific demographics, it's my personal observation.

BTW, I'm on your side about the IRS, although not quite as militant about it.
Old 8/14/06, 02:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
How about we extend it to 18-34 . . . that way I still have a couple years on the "young" clock!
Hmmm.... how bout 35!
Old 8/15/06, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

IRS stinks in the snow too!

Ask anyone who drives a car with IRS and they will all saddle up and tell you, IRS is no prize on slick roads and snow either. I've owned T-Birds and Cougars, and a Miata, and they all couldn't get out of their own way in the snow. I could put the Miata in gear on snow, and it would sit their and spin the tires at idle. Got caught in a snow storm in nothern Illinois in my wife's Cougar and it was a white knuncle ride for a hundred miles. The flip side is I lived in Upstate NY (Saratoga & Grennfield) for 4 years, and my daily drivers were an 85, 86 & 87 Mustang GT. Never got stuck or went off road once.

I would rather have the simplicity and lighter weight of the solid axle, than all the extra parts needed for the IRS. Ford made the right choice IMHO.
Old 8/16/06, 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Coming from an aftermarket guy like me, I want an iron block, they are stronger. Iron is stronger than aluminum YOU CANNOT ARGUE THAT SO DON'T EVEN TRY.
Coming from a materials' engineer like me, I can argue that you're wrong. We're not talking about body panel aluminum here, but Al-alloys, which are much stronger in torque/bending strength than iron (steel, actually).

I actually have a serious question about this...Do any cars from factory, besides super exotics of course, come with a CF driveshaft? I really havn't looked into it, I want to know lol.
Here you actually give the answer to why such materials and technologies weren't used in the S197: cost. This is exactly why super exotics and high-end race cars use high-tech materials and technologies, those cars are not engineered with any cost control in mind, therefore they use the best technologies and the most advanced materials.

For my part, even though I'm not a drag racer and I mainly use my car to drive to work and take trips on normal roads, I'm still quite happy with the SRA. For its kind, it is indeed probably the best out there. Would I have preferred an IRS? Definitely! Would I have paid the extra cost, knowing what improvements it actually brings over the SRA in terms of handling and comfort? I think not.
Old 8/16/06, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Juice
Ask anyone who drives a car with IRS and they will all saddle up and tell you, IRS is no prize on slick roads and snow either. I've owned T-Birds and Cougars, and a Miata, and they all couldn't get out of their own way in the snow. I could put the Miata in gear on snow, and it would sit their and spin the tires at idle. Got caught in a snow storm in nothern Illinois in my wife's Cougar and it was a white knuncle ride for a hundred miles. The flip side is I lived in Upstate NY (Saratoga & Grennfield) for 4 years, and my daily drivers were an 85, 86 & 87 Mustang GT. Never got stuck or went off road once.

I would rather have the simplicity and lighter weight of the solid axle, than all the extra parts needed for the IRS. Ford made the right choice IMHO.
Those conditions have very little to do with whatever style rear suspension. How well a car does in slick, snowy conditions is far more a factor of tires (90%), drive wheels (AWD-best, FWD-good, RWD-worst) and weight distribution (weight biased over drive wheels), torque balancing and control (LSD, TC systems) and throttle modulation (not too hair trigger).

The most evil vehicle I can recall driving in slippery conditions was my daddy's old F-150 pickup, which had a live axle the size of a bridge girder. One of the best was a skinny-tired, early model VW Rabbit, which, somehow, just never would get stuck (until the snow got so deep it would cause the tires to finally lift off the ground).

As for IRS vs SRA, I think the real right choice would have been to offer both so each buyer could have what suites him/her best rather than telling the buyer what's best in the condecending way they did to justify ditching the IRS late in the development cycle. The drag racers and penny pinchers could have the SRA -- best for thier needs, and the road rats, racers and tourers could have the IRS -- best suited for their needs. Let each pay up for what suites them best.
Old 8/16/06, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

How's this for a real world comparison of IRS vs SRA?

Everyday I take a ramp that connects 2 highways. The ramp is a long, left turning sweeper that has a speed limit of 90 km/h ~ 55 mph

At the apex is a bit of patchy asphalt.

When taking the apex with my SRA Mustang, the rear jumps around a bit...causing it to step out anywhere from maybe an inche to 3 or 4 inches, depending on the approache for that day.

When taking the apex with my IRS 2003 Ford Focus, it just glides right through with no upsets, concerns...just as smooth as butter.

That's the kicker.

I have *more* confidence cornering this particular bend with my 'wimpy' 2003 Focus than I do with my 2005 Mustang GT.

And you guys wonder why I'm so bitter...
Old 8/17/06, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

There is no way they could give you that choice of IRS or SRA and make $$. They are already in the toilet and would have been even faster. Even with the limited choices you have nowadays for options they cant make enough to keep afloat. In a perfect world maybe but we arent in one.
Old 8/17/06, 09:35 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Bring the TECH!

IRS vs. Solid Axle? How many of you have actually raced a Mustang, on a Road Course, in a timed event? Save for the fully prepped MM IRS equipped car, 99.9999% of your real "Race" drivers will choose a stick axle in some configuration of Torque Arm / Tri-Link and Panhard Bar / Watts Link. It's proven, doesn't suffer from bumpsteer, and its camber curve is predictable to an extent. Ford has recognized that they had to make compromises with their version of the IRS. Yes, it can be made to handle but its modified in such a way that your normal consumer would hate the ride! Face it, the Mustang was meant to be a "cheap" pony car that could be purchased by all walks of life. When you start throwing in all the "frills" you vehicle moves out of financial reach for some. Also, coming from somebody who has modified their car to almost the exact same rear setup as a 05+, I do know that it can be made to ride very well. After playing with Shock valving and Spring rates, I have a car that is quite comfortable as a Daily Driver but also a very capable track weapon when the engine decides to have a good day.

These are cars, not toasters. It's amazing the results you can get if you just spend a little time tuning and less time speculating.

As for IRS availability in the new chassis, MM has already developed it:

SLA: Is meant for the front suspension, not rear.

Iron vs. Alloy? Teksid block will handle more peak horsepower, while running cooler, than any Terminator iron block. The "iron blocked" Cobra guys aren't seeking out the Explorer and early Cobra blocks just for weight savings either.