2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Why it is in Ford's best interest to give us...

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/04, 05:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading Corvette C6 reviews now for about a month and still haven't seen any on the road yet. However, after reading these reviews, if I had the cash I would definitely be in line to buy one. These reviews were done before the car arrived at dealers.

These magazine/web reviews are probably the largest source of information to everyday people who are not enthusiasts like many of us on web forums like this. They are the best way to get the bulk of people into the dealerships at product launch. Corvette used this medium very well and I am sure the early press will help their product launch dramatically. Why has Ford not done the same?

If Ford does wait until October to release this type of information, I think it a bad move strategically. This is towards the end of the year and getting close to the winter, when most people (at least in the north) would be looking at AWD SUVs or waiting until next spring to buy a car. Why not generate the buzz a bit early while it's still warm, before the cars actually get to the lot? This would entice more people who have read the reviews to wait for and/or buy the car going into the winter months and guarantee a strong product launch.

Is Ford assuming that they have generated enough demand already for a strong product launch? Apparently. I would think though, that the more demand the better. So come on Ford, 5 days before they officially roll off the line, can you please throw us a bone? It can only help the Mustang product launch.
Old 9/2/04, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

who knows what ford is thinking? They must have a plan...but I've got no idea what that is
Old 9/2/04, 07:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing Ford has way too many 2004's on their lots and don't want to get stuck with them. One of the local dealers here has 2 Mach1's, 8 GT's (5 verts) and 4 V6's. The only ordered 4 of the 05 stangs, mine being the only GT
I see ads everywhere and they are trying to sell of the 04's as fast as they can but word is out on the 05 so nobody is buying the 04's. My neighbour works at the dealership and says they haven't sold a stang this year because everyone that walks in asks about the 05.
Old 9/2/04, 07:57 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They have enough pre-orders to fulfill.
I think they are using the 'stall tactic'

It gives them a chance to ramp up production, and when prices hit MORE people will order. This spreads the production out a bit.
Old 9/2/04, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I really hate the lack of info also, but what can you do. I won't be buying one this late into the year just to have it sit in the garage anyway so I might as well wait for the SE or Cobra.
Old 9/2/04, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm guessing Ford has way too many 2004's on their lots and don't want to get stuck with them. One of the local dealers here has 2 Mach1's, 8 GT's (5 verts) and 4 V6's. The only ordered 4 of the 05 stangs, mine being the only GT
I see ads everywhere and they are trying to sell of the 04's as fast as they can but word is out on the 05 so nobody is buying the 04's. My neighbour works at the dealership and says they haven't sold a stang this year because everyone that walks in asks about the 05.
I agree. When I ordered mine I asked the salesman why no information yet and the only reason he could think was because his lot to was filled with '04s and Ford wants them to sell as many as possible first. But then again who really knows. Tell you the truth the whole thing is KILLING me because I have to sell my car before my '05 comes in and I don't want to sell it too soon and have no car to drive in the meantime. :bang:
Old 9/2/04, 10:19 AM
Queen Of Nascar

I had the same dilema about when to sell my car. I have a build date and a VIN so I started advertising and trying to sell about 2 weeks ago. I have not had even one call so you may be surprised how long it might take to sell your other car. Seems the market in the South for Mustangs is not so great. I am wishing I had started sooner. Good Luck to You
Old 9/2/04, 12:14 PM
GT Member

The only reason I can think of not advertising and providing prices is that they want to keep interest low in the car. They may be having issues with manufacturing or concerns about issues with manufacturing and don't want to make any promisses. Either that or the marketing department there is incompetent.