2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Why don't you guys like the GT optional wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/04, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I like the yet to be released "Fan Blade" wheels as I think they strike the best balance between retro, modern and overall aesthetics. They have a bit of a traditional flavor, reflecting the Crager wheels on the Shelby GT 350's crager wheels, but done in a thoroughly modern idiom.

The Bullitts are too retro -- repro -- for me. Been there, done that, the looks get'n tired already. Was cool when first done on the SN95 Bullitt, but started getting overdone and stale from then on. Perhaps if they had done a more modern, stylized iteration ... the current ones look anachronistic.

The current optional wheels are alright if a bit flat and generic. You could pretty much fit them on any car or SUV.
Old 10/29/04, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the concepts. They look nice to me. Further, I think the Bullits are just overdone now. I pratically see them on every Mustang out there now.

Also...get a moderator to add a poll to this thread.
Old 10/29/04, 07:38 AM
GT Member

I think there is a major difference in the current bullets and the ones on the SN95 mustangs. Maybe if they would have stuck with the SN95 bullet rims I would like them more. But lets face it, most of us want something aftermarket anyways to make our mustang "unique."
Old 10/29/04, 07:40 AM
Cobra R Member

In the begining, I was all for the fan blades because I could not stand the concept wheels,... I was under the impression that the concept rims were std... but when I found out that the 18" wheels were not offered this year, I started looking @ Cragar Wheels that fit-in w/ the retro theme -Torque Thrusts, Ralley Wheels, Mach 1ish, etc... only to find that the type of wheel I like most was going to be std.
Old 10/29/04, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the optional wheels... I like them but don't love them....
I like the bullitts aswell, but in the end I wanted a machined wheel, untill I upgrade, more than likely to black with polished liped 19'inch bullitts.
Old 10/29/04, 08:16 AM
GT Member

I think they are both cool. But I ordered the upgrade for mine.
Old 10/29/04, 08:29 AM
V6 Member

I'm all for the Bullits. All of the GT's that I have seen around Milwaukee have all had the upgraded wheels.
Old 10/29/04, 08:47 AM
GT Member

I think the optional wheels look cheap (too chromey) and I don't like the spoke pattern. Also, I'm a stinker for the Bullitts.

~~ Paul
Old 10/29/04, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

i dont think the optional rims do anything for the car i hate the spoke pattern but bullits are a bit overdone i think the 18" wheels are amazing
Old 10/29/04, 09:03 AM
GT Member

By the way, did anyone else happen to catch the similarity of the "Concept/Upgrade 17" Wheels" to the Hubcaps on this 65 Stang? I was looking at this pic with my Mom and she actually said something about it at the same time I noticed It. Kinda Cool, But I still want Bullitts.

Actually, it's the rims on the V6 models that are styled after the hubcaps of the 65 and 66 mustangs. Just look at them, it's pretty obvious.
Old 10/29/04, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like them both but I i'm getting torch red. I just don't think bullets would look good on that. But I would like to see a picture of a torch red stang with bullets.

What about the other bullets with the spinners. No one ever talks about them or has them?

Jason
Old 10/29/04, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm more of the traditionalist as well. Going to look at cragars and hopefully get them when available. Stock "bullets" are close to the traditional style so I do prefere them to the optional. Prefer chrome to polished. Should be a nice set of options come spring from the different manufacturers...
Old 10/29/04, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I ordered a redfire gt with the bullitt wheels but it seems to me too darker to me so I'll go with torq thrust 2 because it have more depth,however I need more information because someone said that American Racing will built a set with 45 mm offset for the 05 stang.If someone knows other aftermarket wheels with 45 mm offset please tell me
Old 10/29/04, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

B) Kind of "Ricery" lookin' to me
Old 10/29/04, 09:45 AM
V6 Member

I personally do like the bullitts, but I agree that it kinda depends on the color of the car. I can't picture a bright yellow car w/ anything other than the optional rims, but that might just be me?!?

I'm going with either Legend Lime (after I see it in person) or straight black, so I'll definitely be going with the bullitts.
Old 10/29/04, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

The wheels I want have changed a few times. Mainly because I think it's very lame that Ford carried over their last-gen wheels. I know they look better, and they really do, but I was sort of thinking of getting the optional, concept style wheels mainly to be different.

Now that I am seeing pics of all these cars with the Bullitts however, I am leaning more towards them again.

This whole thing would be settled if they were to just offer the stinkin' 18s. On that note, does anyone know if this February date has to do with delivery or with order? I am planning on ordering mine this winter so it arrives in the spring. If I could get the 18s I would freak out because they are the best looking wheel by far.
Old 10/29/04, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like the bullitts, but had those on my '02 GT and am bored with them. I needed a change which is why I went with the optional wheels. IMO they look very nice and modern, especially in person. Pictures take away from the wheel's depth. When the 18's are released by Ford, I will definitely upgrade to those. They really make the car.
Old 10/29/04, 10:00 AM
Banned

i don't like the optional wheels because of Ford's halfassed attempt of the concepts. they looked much better as 18's and without the cheesy plastic center cap.
Old 10/29/04, 10:55 AM

The optional rims just do not say Muscle Car. Too passive for me.
Old 10/29/04, 11:31 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by rhumb@October 29, 2004, 9:08 AM
Personally, I like the yet to be released "Fan Blade" wheels as I think they strike the best balance between retro, modern and overall aesthetics. They have a bit of a traditional flavor, reflecting the Crager wheels on the Shelby GT 350's crager wheels, but done in a thoroughly modern idiom.

The Bullitts are too retro -- repro -- for me. Been there, done that, the looks get'n tired already. Was cool when first done on the SN95 Bullitt, but started getting overdone and stale from then on. Perhaps if they had done a more modern, stylized iteration ... the current ones look anachronistic.

The current optional wheels are alright if a bit flat and generic. You could pretty much fit them on any car or SUV.
I agree with you here rhumb, the fan blades best suit this car of the three rim types. I didn't go with the bullitts because they are common on the current car (wanted to have new unique rims with the new car). Also, I thought redfire (which is metallic) would look better with a machined rim.

The 18's are nice and their chunkiness is very appropriate to the new, more muscular looking design.

I'll hold out for those unless I see some aftermarket rims that impress me more.

They will be fitted with BFG KDW's, that is for sure.

Quick Reply: Why don't you guys like the GT optional wheels