2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Why don't you guys like the GT optional wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/04, 10:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read through many many post and almost everybody HATES the optional rims. Do people have a soft spot for the bullit/torque thrust looking wheels. I know and have seen many rims offered by aftermarket that will look awesome. I will be going one inch bigger and hopefully 10.5 in the back. For the time being I order the optional bright rims to go with the redtorch color. My girlfriend always tells me I hve NO style. Except my taste in cars.
Just wondering if there is something in particular that you guys are seeing that I am not?
Old 10/28/04, 10:34 PM
V6 Member

i like the opitonal wheels better, the bullitts dont look as good, the older style bullit is amazing, but the new one is alright.
Old 10/28/04, 10:37 PM
I'm people, and I like.

well, in my opinion, the optional tires look like they should be on a truck
Old 10/28/04, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally I am a stinker for the bullit rims. I think they give the mustang a meaner look (esp with black ext). The optional rims are nice, but I think the bullit rims are more "stang" IMO.

Also, if you are looking for aftermarket rims anyway, it makes sense to stick with the standard wheels for now rather than waste the money. Put the towards the aftermarket set...

Just my 2 copper for you...
Old 10/28/04, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

B) I'm one those that are getting the bullitts. My feeling are somewhat going back to the 60's and doing now what I could'nt do then.
Old 10/28/04, 10:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Though I prefer the bullits, it's been suggested that the concepts look better on certain colors (I can't imagine screaming yellow w/o them, e.g.). In the end, it's really a matter of taste. For me, the (now three year old) bullits are still "new" since I've never owned a Mustang that had them. For others, many of whom have owned recent model stangs, the concepts are a welcome departure...
Old 10/28/04, 10:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I personaly want Bullitts, because they seem to go better with the Retro/Modern Style of the 05 Mustang, but will eventually go with 17" Hallibrand Wheels, Like these, that look like the 16" V6 Wheels.
Old 10/28/04, 10:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way, did anyone else happen to catch the similarity of the "Concept/Upgrade 17" Wheels" to the Hubcaps on this 65 Stang? I was looking at this pic with my Mom and she actually said something about it at the same time I noticed It. Kinda Cool, But I still want Bullitts.
Old 10/28/04, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bullits for me, but will upgrade to bigger ARE Torque-thrusts....better style than factory ones IMO.
Old 10/28/04, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with thezeppelin... I've seen very similar wheels on SUVs and trucks. I like the look of a wheel that comes "out" of the center, not out to the center. The optional rims look like the center of the wheel sticks out, the opposite of what I like.
Old 10/28/04, 11:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I actually like the optional wheels. If I were getting a GT I would so get them.. IMO They just look better than the bullitts. But to each their own.
Old 10/29/04, 12:06 AM
Bullitt Member

One of the things I like about this model year is the retro styling. I think the standard wheels look more retro to me. I think the optional wheels look fine, I just like the bullitts more.
Old 10/29/04, 12:36 AM
GT Member

I am an old guy. My motorcycle is old school style and I worked my butt off to make it that way. The Bullit wheels remind me of ETs which I put on my new 65 426 Plymouth. If I ever end up with one of these cars - I would love to be able to find something Craegar-ish. I am far more at home with old school and less is more.

I stopped buying things on credit about 15 years ago - so I will need to get the cash first - with this econ that may take me a good while. When I do get one - the fogs will be history asap. I am not really in love with the grill mesh - maybe by then someone will have a tube grill or something.

Also I hope I can find a way to get some kind of side pipes on it - we use to call them lake pipes also - but I would not want them to be as smallish (cir) as lake pipes.

I have not looked under the cars so I have no idea if side pipes are even possible - but to me the cars are yelling for them. I have had enough burned legs to last a life time so they will have to have some kind of heat shield. I will also have to figure a way to get rid of the tailpipe cut outs.
Old 10/29/04, 12:40 AM
GT Member

I do not know what ford was smoking when they used those wheels as the optionals. THey belong on a Ford ranger or 4 door, not a mustang. Ford could have done so much better. And what is up with those tires.??? they look like they belong on a V6. Not performance looking at all compared to the Goodyears or Nittos or anything. I mean look at the rims and tires they gave the special edition cobra or Mach 1. Not to knock those with these rims, but I suspect we will see some good stuff in the next two years. They have only begun, give it a couple of years. I can't wait until the special edition mustangs come out in the next few years. Simply stated: the optional rims are analogous to that grill on the new S281, WHAT where they thinking
Old 10/29/04, 06:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wasn't there a poll on this somewhere. I looked but coulnd't find it. I know it was a poll and it showed which wheel was liked themost.

Anyway, I like the optional wheels a little better. Not that I don't like the bullitts.
Old 10/29/04, 06:43 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I prefer the concepts but I think its a matter of taste. They grew on me and they look much nicer in person (loose depth in pictures).
Old 10/29/04, 06:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Bullitts for the darker colors (black, mineral grey, etc).

Concepts for the brighter colors.

Just my opinion.
Old 10/29/04, 06:47 AM
GT Member

I think the bullets look better on the darker color cars, but as for the brighter color cars the optional rim looks best. If I was getting a black GT it would have the bullets, if I was getting a yellow gt it would have the optional rims. When I get my torch red, it will have optional rims. I dont agree that they look like something on a ranger or suv at all. I think someone is trying to hard...
Old 10/29/04, 06:55 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The optionals are okay - but I like the Bullitts - have ALWAYS thought the Stangs look better (meaner) with 5-stars on them (s'what I had on my '88).

I think the optional wheels take away from the 'sportier' look of the car.

I'll tell ya, I was really happy when I saw the prices for ordering - I told my brother:

"Lemme get this straight - I get to SAVE $195 to get the cooler wheels I want?...."
Old 10/29/04, 06:57 AM
GT Member

I like the Bullitts over the optional wheels. They fit the retro theme better to me. The optional wheels may be designed to look like the old hubcaps, but they still come off as too modern on this car, IMO. The Bullitts give a meaner, more muscle car feel. So, when i get one, it will have the Bullitts. That is, until something better comes out from the aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Why don't you guys like the GT optional wheels