2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
View Poll Results: Should clones be discriminated against?
Yes
31.01%
No
48.84%
I don't care
20.16%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Why the clone hate?

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/06, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only if you put a FAKE sticker on the car , then its ok...........
Old 12/20/06, 07:57 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nonstopred
such a low statement dude. take that back.
Sorry Bud
Old 12/20/06, 08:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm lovin' this. Hey FORD themselves started this. A tad ago I put in an order for the 35th anniversary edition. A friend drove by the dealer and told me it was in. Iwas ****ed the dealer didn't call me. Soooo, down I went. Low and behold, it was a plain jane there, with MY 35th Anniversary badge on it. They did it again in 04 with the 40th anniversary edition. Built a sharp contrasting edition in "special colours", then went on to put the anniversary edition badge's on all of them.

Sooooo, what's the big deal NOW. Our cars are for us. Do It your way. Period. Enjoy your's to the fullest. And if you can't say something good about another fellow Mustanger. Then SHUT-UP!
Old 12/20/06, 08:42 AM
Cobra R Member

the only thing i hate on is when someone tries to pass the car off as the real thing. if they have a clone and say, "yeah its a clone". No biggie to me. But i dont really like clones. U think its one thing if someone throws the parts on it. Its another if they throw the parts on and say yeah its a gt500.

i'll never clone a car. I am putting the gt/cs rear bumper on mine, but thats it, i like the rear bumper a lot. and its sold in the ford accessories catalog. i like the look of my gt as a gt.
Old 12/20/06, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like when people clone a car and try to pass it off as the real deal. Otherwise I don't care what you do. Personally I am always proud of what I have so for me I never wanted to pass my V6 off as anything else but my Mustang, but some people really like the Shelby (myself included) and will never be able to get one so I think that if they "clone" the car to enjoy the look for themselves then thats their right, they paid for the car and can do as they see fit with it. I would still rather see a V6 or GT(GT owners are no different) Shelby clone, then to see one all riced out. to echo many others as long as you don't try and pass it off as the real Shelby why should I care what you do to YOUR car.
Old 12/20/06, 09:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Flame me, I DON"T CARE!!!!

hehe, j/k
Old 12/20/06, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Can't we all just get along?

Most of my buddy's are clone haters....BUT...most of them own 'real' metal (60's & 70's Shelbys, GTOs, BOSS). They REALLY get angry at people who take a 69' fastback and make a boss 302 clone (or shelby).

I can't see it If I owned a REAL 65 Shelby and someone showed me their 'resto-creation' I would be "cool...what mods have you done? How well did they work? What kind of tires do you like?" I would treat their baby (which it is) like it was my baby.

Having said that...I can't afford a REAL one. So I am biased towards people who make them affordable and fun to all us working ducks...you know?

Oh..and the recreation guys mostly do it so they can DRIVE it around and not worry about totaling a $175,000 Shelby...so I am cool with that too....

Jay
Old 12/20/06, 10:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Lime05owner
Most of my buddy's are clone haters....BUT...most of them own 'real' metal (60's & 70's Shelbys, GTOs, BOSS). They REALLY get angry at people who take a 69' fastback and make a boss 302 clone (or shelby).

I can't see it If I owned a REAL 65 Shelby and someone showed me their 'resto-creation' I would be "cool...what mods have you done? How well did they work? What kind of tires do you like?" I would treat their baby (which it is) like it was my baby.

Having said that...I can't afford a REAL one. So I am biased towards people who make them affordable and fun to all us working ducks...you know?

Oh..and the recreation guys mostly do it so they can DRIVE it around and not worry about totaling a $175,000 Shelby...so I am cool with that too....

Jay
well saiud, since i am in a family that are proud owners of a 1969 Boss 302. I take heavy offense to clones of that car. and it kinda ****es me off when people make newerr "tribute cars" that phrase agrivates me. I am planning on painting my 07 bonnet and boot flat black, but i am def. not going to call it a boss tribute.

as i have said. I dont mind clones tha are said to be clones, or spomebody saying "i liked the way the shelby stripes looked so i striped min" or whatever, but if they want to try an dsay its an actual shelby.. thats not right
Old 12/20/06, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

it annoys me if someone does an incomplete clone, like gt lights bumper and then just leaves a single exhaust and puts gt badges on it.

I wouldnt mind a clone mach 5. that would be sick.. too bad there like 250k
Old 12/20/06, 01:43 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

You know some folks just want to replicate the look of a historic stang they love (including me).

One option I've seen is to use "nada" in front of the name such as "nada BOSS" (see below for real picture) or "nada GT 500"

Another option I thought of the other day was if you wanted to use a historic name involving a number, then put "ish" at the end. E.g. "G.T. 350ish" or "Boss 302ish". As in, "it's not a G.T 350, but it is GT-350ish."

You could also put the word "Tribute" next to the name. Such as the photoshop seen below.

These ideas might sound goofy to some, but it is a way to replicate a look without having to deal with as many of the almost guranteed "poser" comments.

Just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails Why the clone hate?-nada-boss.gif   Why the clone hate?-tribute-boss.gif  
Old 12/20/06, 02:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I for one would like to see the "rule book".I have no rules for anybody taking the time to fix up their car.Life is way too short. I've been blessed with good health(so-so),a great wife and a Mustang.I figure life is good.The cars are cool and toys we can reward ourselfs with is a benefit for hard work.As long as Ford or vendors offers modifation parts there will probably be a variety of different looking Mustangs.I still havn't seen two that look a like.Except on the new car lot.
Old 12/20/06, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a 2005 V6. I couldn't afford a GT at the time or the insurance. I did however really like the GT fogs and front bumper better than the 6. I saved my money and bought a GT take off front bumper for a REAL good price and got the grille from Kevin. I did it for the looks and to have the fogs/visibility. Not to make people think it's a GT. I would NEVER, let me repaet that NEVER!, put GT badges or any other badges on my car if it was not that actual model.
"Badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
I don't see anything wrong with making your car your own. That's what it's all about but this is one V6 owner that does NOT agree with misrepresenting your ride. If you want to put the GT500 body kit on go ahead, just don't put the GT500 badges on it. My .02 cents.
Old 12/20/06, 03:07 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Make yourself happy...thats all that really counts. Thats my philosophy and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12/20/06, 03:21 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Donna, would putting Cobra badges on your mustang make you happy?
If not, why not?

Just trying to draw you into the fight
Old 12/20/06, 03:33 PM

Well, beyond the usual "it's my car and money and I can do whatever the hail I want" diatribe, there is a certainly elemental dishonesty (passing a car off for something it really isn't) and reveals a lack of creativity and originality ("I'll just ape something else cause I can't think up anything better myself...").

I can also understand the automakers interest in maintaining the uniqueness and model integrity of a specialty line. Sure, some clones will be excellent, high-quality, fully done renditions, but many others will be done shoddily and on the cheap to some degree, especially when it comes to more expensive hardware equipment.

Sort of begs the question in one sense -- presuming that aftermarket modding is to be a reflection of a person's individuality and creativity, then why even do a clone in the first place? I guess some people are just meant to be followers and others, leaders.

But if it's your car and money, you can do whatever the hail you want to...

PS Saw a C6 Vette the other day with all manner of Ferrari badges and labels on it, trying to be a clone of some sort of a Ferrari -- somehow seems to fit into this discussion, trying to be or emulate what your not vs being your own person/thing...
Old 12/20/06, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

honestly, I say let everyone do what they will. I personally wouldn't put GT emblems on my 6, but I loved the lines of the GT so I bought the body kit. Like most other 6er's who did this early on, I caught some flack. No biggie...it's the car I wanted. What I think is HILARIOUS is now that the Shelby is out, so many of the same GT owners who bashed me are copying the Shelby. I say..."What's the difference???". If we wanna get techincal, my 6 is closer to a stock GT than a GT is to the Shelby....So why all the fuss? Anywho...I say make it look how you want...You're paying for it, but the badges just make me laugh & shake my head...
Old 12/20/06, 03:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Maybe we clone b/c we love the real thing and can't afford it, not b/c we lack creativity!! And you know what, if I can afford to clone my GT into a GT500, it will not be an exact clone b/c there are some things that I just don't like on even the real thing!!! And I'll bet that I'll put WAY more miles per year on my clone than most real GT500's!!!!
Old 12/20/06, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a GT front end of my 6, because I like the fog light look and it makes the car more aggresive looking. And yes I am putting dual exhuast on my car in the spring, for both the sound and the look. Go ahead and crucify me...Im a terrible person. If its your car and your money do whatever you want to it, its yours. BUT I am against saying your car is something its not, if it looks like a GT or a Shelby that is one thing, but when someone asks you which model you have dont lie and say its something that its not.
Old 12/20/06, 06:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a coinfession...I kept the floor mats from my V-6 Pony Package car.They look really nice even if they only say Mustang on a silver badge.Yeah..I'm cloning a V-6 interior
Old 12/20/06, 06:42 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nonstopred
it annoys me if someone does an incomplete clone, like gt lights bumper and then just leaves a single exhaust and puts gt badges on it.

I wouldnt mind a clone mach 5. that would be sick.. too bad there like 250k
What's a mach 5

Quick Reply: Why the clone hate?