2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
View Poll Results: Should clones be discriminated against?
Yes
31.01%
No
48.84%
I don't care
20.16%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Why the clone hate?

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/06, 09:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I purchased this little part Ford Racing just released.It does not have Shelby GT500 on it.Just the Cobra.I did put it on my car and have been confronted that my car was not a Cobra...oh well. I realize that its no Cobra,I did leave the GT emblems on the fenders.I like this badge,the history behind it and future of Ford performance.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9536
Old 12/19/06, 09:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Horrific_Ending
That makes no sense at all....what if i cant afford a GT500/Saleen/or roush? shoudl i still go buy one? lmao sorry that a lot of us on here dont have a ton of cash to finance a car like that. i say its your car do what you please with it. What if GT500's came with the v6 body and the v6's came with the GT500 bodys on it? would everyone go out and buy the v6 body pieces for their car?
it makes perfect sense. i dont have the cash for a gt500. im not going to make my car a poser gt500. if i want the look of a gt500 i will save my money until i time where i cna afford a gt500 or i will stick with my car. Besides the fact that i think, IMO, most of the ppl who piece the cars together with a roush part here, a saleen part there ect ect have cars that look 20x better than a gt500 anyday
Old 12/19/06, 09:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 94tbird
it makes perfect sense. i dont have the cash for a gt500. im not going to make my car a poser gt500. if i want the look of a gt500 i will save my money until i time where i cna afford a gt500 or i will stick with my car. Besides the fact that i think, IMO, most of the ppl who piece the cars together with a roush part here, a saleen part there ect ect have cars that look 20x better than a gt500 anyday
I agree..the Saleen rockers and the Roush quater glass louvers are great add ons.
Old 12/19/06, 09:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94tbird
Wow, man!.. this is gett'in heavy!... beauty is only skin deep! its whats on the inside that counts!
Old 12/19/06, 09:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

im jsut sayin. the psoter asked for opinions. thats my opinion. like it hate it agree or disagree with it itsa not wrong as its an opinion. i could care less what anyone does to their car but ill still call a v6 with a gt500 body kit a poser, even though i like the look.
Old 12/19/06, 09:46 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Clone Wars have begun

Old 12/19/06, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

people may never get that money, its fun to personalize mustangs thats why theres 100000000000 sites with pieces for them.

I am picking pieces from all over for my car

SSE center grille, cdc chin, gt500 rear bumper, white stripes, maybe roush hood scoop.

nothing wrong with that

stop bashing people just because of what theyre doing. Most people with 6's just have them and its the best money could buy for them (me also) and theres no reason to bash that, and hell, maybe i will get a gt500 in the future, but for the time being I dont, and theres nothing wrong with hoping that you could have one and making yours look like one, or a standard gt. theres a lot of takeoff parts that make the 6 look a ton more aggresive, but not really any 6's put gt badges on the cars.

were proud of our cars its just looks that we like better and were not trying to impress anyone but ourselves.
Old 12/19/06, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
The Clone Wars have begun

How right you are Mark!..I always liked Bozo the clone! ....
Old 12/19/06, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those who are worried about what others do to their own cars need another hobby. Who cares if someone puts Cobra emblems on a V6, or even a Chevy bowtie in place of the pony, for that matter? It's their car, and they can do what they want. I'd rather have some faux clone Mustang than a riced-out Civic, but even the ricers have a right to what they want. Everyone has different tastes, and there are bound to be many cars out there that each of us wouldn't take for free. What's wrong with that? The Mustang was meant to be personalized, even if that means copying someone else's car or doing something odd just to be different. Just enjoy your own car and offer compliments to others when you can. Walk away and try not to snicker at the rest.
Old 12/19/06, 09:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by backafter20
Those who are worried about what others do to their own cars need another hobby. Who cares if someone puts Cobra emblems on a V6, or even a Chevy bowtie in place of the pony, for that matter? It's their car, and they can do what they want. I'd rather have some faux clone Mustang than a riced-out Civic, but even the ricers have a right to what they want. Everyone has different tastes, and there are bound to be many cars out there that each of us wouldn't take for free. What's wrong with that? The Mustang was meant to be personalized, even if that means copying someone else's car or doing something odd just to be different. Just enjoy your own car and offer compliments to others when you can. Walk away and try not to snicker at the rest.
Amen brother!... by the way happy 666 posts!
Old 12/19/06, 10:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm cool with everything except when someone with a v6 makes their car look like a gt. I can't stand that.
Old 12/19/06, 10:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
I'm cool with everything except when someone with a v6 makes their car look like a gt. I can't stand that.
Why !...
Old 12/19/06, 10:14 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I may have found a happy medium where folks can put cobras on their cars and other won't have to worry about it being mistaken for the real thing
Attached Thumbnails Why the clone hate?-poser-gt-500.jpg  
Old 12/19/06, 10:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Why !...
I'm society I hate those people that act like there something that there not. Like people that are fake or act too cool for school, stuff like that. Same in the car world too, I think if you have a v6 it's total posing making it look like a v8, it sound's kind of harsh but I just don't like the v6 period- unless you a chick driving it
Old 12/19/06, 10:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

such a low statement dude. take that back.
Old 12/19/06, 10:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
I'm society I hate those people that act like there something that there not. Like people that are fake or act too cool for school, stuff like that. Same in the car world too, I think if you have a v6 it's total posing making it look like a v8, it sound's kind of harsh but I just don't like the v6 period- unless you a chick driving it
You mean your not Britney Spears!
Old 12/19/06, 10:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
I think I may have found a happy medium where folks can put cobras on their cars and other won't have to worry about it being mistaken for the real thing
I dig it! ...you could sell 10.000 of those on ebay!....
Old 12/20/06, 01:41 AM

I don't mind people putting bodykits on their cars... It's when they try to pass them off for something they aren't... It's like putting a V8 badge on a V6 car [Mustang or otherwise]... This is more apparent for "GT" badges than anything. I'm sure if I owned a Cobra or GT500 I'd be more against people putting snakes on their car... but the snake badge doesn't indicate the vehicle model. A GT badge indicates a GT model. Replacing a GT with a pony badge doesn't say anything except that the car is a Mustang. Replacing the GT with a Cobra badge without the "Cobra" or "GT500" or "Shelby" namesake is fine. Although, I have seen GTs that were licenced BY Shelby to wear such badges, that's fine. But if you have a V6 and you put a snake on it, I don't think it'd be right to tell people its a GT500. Using the bodykits are fine, just don't use the namesake unless you're getting it licenced as such. [i.e. C6S wearing a "Shelby" badge is appropriate if its a V6 as its a Shelby licenced vehicle]

And if you're going to completely clone a car inside and out to the same specs as the car you're cloning, go ahead and badge it... and be sure you tell everyone how much you did to change your car.
Old 12/20/06, 02:53 AM
Closet American

It's the right of everybody to create a clone if they so desire.

Just as it is my right to mock the bloody bejesus out of them for doing so.

So feel free to send in the clones.
Old 12/20/06, 04:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Originally Posted by The Reverend
I have read the posts:

Certain Shelby GT parts will NOT be available so that you can not replicate the car.
The Bullitt sill plates and badges should not be available so that you can not make a clone.
GT350 stickers should not be sold, because the Mustang does not have 350hp and they will make one eventually.

I have read that most aftermarket companies like Roush, Saleen, Shelby, et al, make their profit from parts, not the vehicles themselves.

If someone wants a Playboy pink Mustang with an aftermarket Roush body kit with the badges, emblems, then Roush will sell it to them. Can they call it a Roush? We live in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
BTW, Rev., the original GT-350 didn't have 350hp either!! the racing versions were close(306hp was what they rated them at, i think). The reason Mr. Shelby called them the GT-350, was b/c his desk was just 350 ft from the production line. At least thats what I've read in numeruos books about the matter. Personally, i don't care what ANYONE else thinks about MY car, it is MINE!! i do like the looks of the GT500, and may clone it sometime in the future, then again, I like the GT/CS too, so who know!! The rear medallion from the GT500 is very nice looking, but, since I'm really into the original 'stangs too (like my '66), I've put the V6 badge on my GT!!! Flame me, I DON"T CARE!!!! I'm gonna pull the GT badges off the sides b/c I REALLY don't like them and put the running ponies from the V6 on instead, so it will be just like my FACTORY '84.5 GT-350 5.0L and my '66 coupe w/ the 351 inplace of its 289, b/c I'm planning to RESTO-MOD it. With GT-350 rocker stripes and Shelby stipes on top, btw, its a coupe!!! Mustangers can pick on ricers all we want to, but shouldn't pick on each other at all, (unless its our best bud!!!)!!! Constructive critism is ok, but keep your derogatory comments to yourself!!! And if you don't, I'm gonna ignore them anyways, b/c I DON'T CARE!!!! John

Quick Reply: Why the clone hate?