2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What's missing from the 2005 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/04, 01:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Automatic gear shifter looks funky. I know a lot are made that way... but the one in my 84' mercedes looks better than that...

I just think the ones that only go up and down look a bit cheap. But hey, if thats what it comes with tough poo.

Edit: Hope this works. (*Note* My car doesnt have red interior )

Stang

Mercedes

Sorry for both pics... just for comparison.
Old 4/27/04, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kevinb120+Apr. 26th, 2004, 10:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ Apr. 26th, 2004, 10:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by f1-cobra@Apr. 26th, 2004, 8:11 PM
I'd like to see IRS, other than that it is perfect.

<!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120
@Apr. 26th, 2004, 6:38 PM
Ive looked the 8 over, it uses thin metal and an uber-cheap interior. The rear seats are stupid, and it has no ***** whatsoever. Rotaries do not last long either, they are 70k mile motors. The 3 has a much better interior overall. Everyone I know who has had them rebuilds them. Its a big dissapointment in my book. I owned a 93 RX7-tt, a by-far superior car(and more expensive MSRP non-adjusted for inflation 11 years ago). That is just another utterly forgetable yuppie mobile, like the 350 or TT. :sleep: the last 7 was a TRUE sports car.

I had an '85 RX-7 GSL-SE with the 13B rotary when I was in college and it lasted to 168,000 miles. It was a great little car. No problems at all out of it until the end.
turbo?[/b][/quote]
No, not turbo, but as light as it was, it was really quick. It was the first generation body style. I have a pic, but it is too big to post.
Old 4/27/04, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by VillianousBlak@Apr. 26th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Excuse me but I have a question?
What LOSER needs A PARKING SENSOR on a MUSTANG? It's mildly acceptable considering most of America's driving public CAN NOT DRIVE, especially in there GARGANTUAN grocery hauling SUVS. BUT if you don't know how darn far it is from the CURB to your FENDER in a MUSTANG you deserve no car, let alone one like this.
Ban me. I don't care. Some things need to be said.
You live in America. That means that the average supermarket has a parking lot that is 10 square kilometers in size and features twice as much space as necessary. The United States are a country with plenty of space for everyone, your freeways have 10 lanes in both directions, everybody has huge garages and just about everything else would justify the image of the nation of the superlatives
I live in Europe. Munich, Germany, to be exact. That's where the Oktoberfest comes from and where you can find the Hofbräuhaus. Munich has a problem (though it is not as bad as in London, Paris or New York), too few space. Too many people. That means few (and expensive) parking lots in the city, and if you don't want to cruise around for half an hour looking for a place to park your car because you don't want to scratch your bumpers and those of the expensive cars in front and behind you, you better get a PDC. It's less nerve-wracking and you can park more precisely and closer to someone/something behind you. In certain areas you can easily get a new drivers-side mirror each month because some roads are narrow enough to force some people to pass your car very, very closely. And the mirror is gone. Although a PDC wouldn't help much (but maybe a bit) in these cases. But there's something coming to my mind that is missing on the new stang:

Automatically folding exterior mirrors. BMW has these. Sweeeet
Old 4/27/04, 06:42 AM

HID's would be cool. I'd also like to see some sort of amber turn signals in the back, the concept's nose and hood, about 50 more horsepower, and a better design and placement of the parking brake. And much like myself it could stand to lose some lbs.
Old 4/27/04, 08:12 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I need is a good paying job

what the stang needs is nothing... except the 18's being on the car when I pick it up
Old 4/27/04, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by kevinb120@Apr. 26th, 2004, 4:38 PM
Ive looked the 8 over, it uses thin metal and an uber-cheap interior. The rear seats are stupid, and it has no ***** whatsoever. Rotaries do not last long either, they are 70k mile motors. The 3 has a much better interior overall. Everyone I know who has had them rebuilds them. Its a big dissapointment in my book. I owned a 93 RX7-tt, a by-far superior car(and more expensive MSRP non-adjusted for inflation 11 years ago). That is just another utterly forgetable yuppie mobile, like the 350 or TT. :sleep: the last 7 was a TRUE sports car.
I've test driven a few 8's and would have to disagree about the interior quality, something I pay excrutiating attention to. I found the materials and assembly to be very high quality overall. The rear seats, while not limo class, are at least as good as a Mustangs and far more accessible with those clever suicide doorlets. I didn't find the metal to be thin per se, but they do use AL in those doorlets in addition to the hood (like the '05 does too, better check that out before you plunk down coinage).

Early rotaries used to be disposable items, a rep they've had to live down for far too long. But current ones, properly cared for, seem to last as long as piston motors and are in many ways far more rugged in that there just isn't much to break on them. The 7 was a rocket but perhaps too undistilled and expensive a sports car for the market. The RX-8 is a bit more like the Mustang in being a sporty 2+2 coupe. It's a hoot to drive, has very sophisticated handling, is very interesting from an engineering sense and possessed of a unique character quite distinct from the Stang -- vive la difference.

The rotary in particular is a facinating motor, quite the opposite in character from a huge, low-rev, high-torque V8, but a blast to drive in its own right even if it does require dental drill RPM. But at least its utterly happy and unstrained at those hyper rpm without all the thrash, buzz and strain that makes wringing the neck of most four bangers a molar grinding experience -- you know intellectually, that your S2000 ain't gonna pitch a piston through the hood, but it sure sounds like it will.

In any case, I digress, greatly. My point was from a more abstract parts count and engineering perspective, various cars including the RX-8 seem to be able to match my Stang wish list without an extravagent bottom line. It's certainly not unreasonable to wonder why -- there may be good reasons I'm unaware of -- but on the face of it, its seems Ford ought to be able to do so, IF it so chooses. My hope is that additional and increasing market competition will enforce a stern level of price discipline on the Stang, which will benefit everybody except perhaps a few rapacious Ford execs grown fat on SUV-style profit margins.
Old 4/27/04, 08:41 AM

Needs painted mirrors and telescoping steering wheel. :angry:
Old 4/27/04, 08:47 AM
GT Member

I don't know if the steering wheel will tilt, but tilt would be a nice feature.
Old 4/27/04, 09:12 AM
GT Member

not to kiss BMW's hiney or anything, but they have some cool stuff on their cars, and it all works. My fiance and a few coworkers have them, so I can drive them around a bit.
The HID's are a wonderful asset to have, especially at night. If you never use them, you won't miss them. If you do, and they are from a reputable company, you will want them from then on. I mean, you have to see somthing before you can avoid it.
Also, the mirrors that tilt down when the transmission is in reverse, like Wombert brought up, are really freakin handy! I made fun of them when I first saw them. I thought it was just another thing that someone with too much money could pay for and tell all of their competitors..I mean friends, about. But it helps you see distance to curb, obstructions behind you, and anything else that is in your way when backing up.
I am not saying these are necessities, but they could be offered as options. I mean, not everyone wants the base stang, however good it is. I will be giving more money to someone, it may as well be ford so it can go on the warranty.
Old 4/27/04, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Mark VIII's have the auto-tilting side mirrors while Reverse is engaged. It's an awesome feature and really is a subtle, but extremely useable touch. On a Mustang, though?
Old 4/27/04, 03:07 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Galaxieboy@Apr. 27th, 2004, 2:15 PM
What I need is a good paying job

what the stang needs is nothing... except the 18's being on the car when I pick it up
Amen to that.

And as BlueOval mentioned, this thing should have painted mirrors and a telescoping steering wheel with tilt IMO. Maybe even power adjustable pedels.

You should be comfortable in your car. There are so many drivers out there. Your car should be made to accomodate your driving position, not the other way around.