2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What happened to the Ponydrive Sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/05, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I also just found out that a cousin of mine is a financing consultant to many dealerships here in St. Louis and he said he has a few favors due to him that he'll ask around for me. If that doesn't work, this is definitely an option. Thank you very much.
Old 3/2/05, 01:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, thanks to Organizer1/Dave for trying - no bad blood here. I think Ford was just caught off guard by the magnitude of interest. While the whole thing was in the planning stages they were probably thinking "Well if it falls through, maybe we'll only upset a few dozen customers...". But as it grew, it was probably becoming a double edged sword - more people, more excitement to really make it happen, but logistically more difficult to pull off.

Ford may be losing $2.5 million in revenue, but I would guess that after giving us all X-plan, and adding up the expenses, scheduling the cars, perhaps paying people overtime and running the factory on a weekend, they stood to make a very small profit on the whole deal. They are better off financially to just build 101 dealer allocated cars on that same day.

Going along with the conspiracy/rumor idea, I also had the feeling that if dealers found out about it, they may not be very happy - in that Ford was basically going direct to consumer and taking 101 cars, make that 101 very limited edition cars, off their lots. They could've argued that if Ford is going to create any SE 2005's, and buck their standing backorders in the process to build them, then they should be allowed to get a cut, too. Those still marking up 1st production Mustang GTs seem to think they already have pseudo "Special Editions"

I'm just playing devil's advocate...I will still get a Mustang, but will need to call up some distant relatives to see if they would be willing to give me an X-plan PIN. Not impossible, just a bit more difficult. I wonder how many calls Ford will make to us Pony-Drive-rs before they get tired of being yelled at. If they do get around to me I plan on at least being cordial and will still try get them to honor X-plan for my now planned 2006 purchase.

Thanks again Organizer1 - I know it must have been heartbreaking after all the effort you put in. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Old 3/2/05, 04:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very disappointed in Ford at this time. I had high hopes over the Pony Drive SEs and that is not just because I was on the list to get one.

Ponylover, like 2&2 stated, I wanted this car because of the limited number and that it showed Ford really was working for the '05 to be like the 65's were. A great car, lots of aftermarket, and very special limited editions.

Just to give you background from my view. I could care less about the X plan, that is because I have access to the Z plan. I would have liked for everyone that were going to get one of the 101 to get an X plan though.

I was in Afghanistan when I first found out about the Pony Drive SE from Brad's site. I could look at some sites but could not email due to the job I had there. So I had to wait until I returned to get on the Pony Drive list. Instead of getting "just" a regular GT I could get what I always wanted, a very limited car with CDC parts on it as well. So I waited, and would wait until September if I had to, and planned a very busy schedule around going on the Pony Drive and getting to see the car produced and the extras be put on by CDC. :worship:

I'm sure many have busy schedules as well that were planning on going. I also happen to be moving in the middle of that time. However, the excitement and opportunity to get a limited car, was well worth my planning on driving OVER half of the United States and moving all my household goods in less than a month well worth it. Thanks Ford for making it easy on me and my move, although I would have gladly "suffered" for the car.

That said, I also told many people about the Pony Drive car. Many knew I wanted to buy this car before I left for Afghanistan and asked me constantly when I was getting it. That is another testament on how popular the car is as well. However, now I will have to go back and tell all those people that Ford backed out of this. I had bow tie lovers even stating how they thought so much about Ford for taking care of their fan base and some are/were converting until this. Now they will lump Ford in with GM on weighing the overall profit more than good PR on just a few promotional cars. Thanks Ford for looking like GM.

I will get one of the new Mustangs, but I will not be getting an '05. I wanted Sonic Blue very much, but there are no special editions/limited cars that I really care for out right now. Yes, the Saleens, Roushes, and other tuners are neat but are not what I am looking for right now. I will wait to see what the Cobra or maybe the next SE will be like. However, like I said before, I am very disappointed with Ford and feel like they have given me a

However, I do want to thank Dave for all the hard work he has done. I truly appreciate what you did for us and I am sorry for the inept personnel at Ford for what they did to you.

Here is to next year Ford getting it right with production and their customer/fan base. ... I can't wait for March 25th now, I hope they don't jack the price up too much on the Cobra ... or whatever it is going to be called. :shock: