2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What is Ford doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/06, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Webba
Wow, shotzy I figured for sure you were the Kai I knew. Hell is part owner in a local brewery hence when I saw your name being shotzy I was sure you were him. Anyway as for the question about the 06 at 0% and the 07 lease at 9% they want to move the 06 off their balance sheets. The past few times I have run rates through Ford it has been alot higher than my bank. I am guessing they are starting to be alot more careful about loaning out $. They havent got much to loan these days
Well I guess now you know 2
Old 9/1/06, 06:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
G35's are very poorly made, sorry.
No they aren't.
I had one of the very first ones for 2 years. Nice car.
The interiors were cheap for the 1st 2 years.

I gotta say, the Mustang is 300% more fun though.
Old 9/1/06, 11:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
I just don't understand?
You're going about buying a car the wrong way. You need to focus on just two things, term and interest rate. Haggle on the interest rate, not a payment amount.

Regards
Old 9/2/06, 12:45 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me tell you a little about me. My first car was a POS 67 mustang. But it was a stang and I love it. Any way when the new stangs came out I really liked them but didn't want to get involved with a brand new model.
Since I always lease my car for 2 years anyway, I got the G35c fully loaded. The G35 is a great car btw but I still really wanted a Mustang.

Well my lease is ending so I start to look at the new Mustang GT/CS. Love the car so a no brainer into the dealer I go. Now I own a small business so I always lease my cars for the write off and because I put high mileage on the car so I dont want to have the hassles of selling a 2 year old car with 50,000 miles on it. I have been doing these high mileage leases for about 10 years so I know pretty much where the payments should fall. The dealer gives me this outlandish number something like $3000 down and $250 more a month than I pay for the G35. So I tell him thank you have a nice day. Then I go to the dealer my best friends sister works at and am able to get X plan pricing. The deal is a little bit better about $2000 down and $89 more a month than I pay for my G. Okay its a little high but I love the car so I put down a deposit and order it.

Well one week later, I get a call from my friends sister. They have sold the dealership and she is not sure the new owner will honer the deal. Ok I have the deal and all the numbers so I go around to the other dealers to see if they will do the same one. They all tell me the cant because they would make no money on this deal. Which is at least partly true because my sister friend said thats why she wasn't sure the new owner would honor the deal. So I give up and go back to Infiniti, were they give me the exact same payment that I am currently paying with no money out of pocket with the exact same terms as the ford lease for a fully loaded G35c 6mt. This is with no inside connection or haggling for that matter. And they were happy to do the deal.

This is what I really dont understand this, maybe someone can enlighten me. Forget for a moment of which car is better or why you would want either car. Lets talk about real numbers Loaded GT/CS conv ~ $35,000 Loaded G35 ~ $39,000. How does infiniti make the money on a higher priced car for a lower monthly payment. And the guys at the Ford dealer were acting as if I was trying to steal the car or something.

I would think I would be Fords primary target. I can afford the car am even willing to pay a some premium for the nostalgic value. At the deal with my sisters friend I would have paid about $4,000 more over the life of the lease to ford motor credit mind you. And still no one would take the deal.

I just don't understand?
It's all part of the "Way Forward."

Old 9/2/06, 08:16 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

You're comparing your lease on your present G35. 2 years ago interest rates were much lower. Have you priced out a new G35 lease at today's prices?

Recently when I was at a local Ford dealer talking to the sales manager he was crying to me that he just can't compete with the lease specials that Toyota & Nissian have. Either Toyota & Nissian are loosing money on their lease specials, or the higher residual value allows them to lower their lease costs. The 2005+ Mustangs appear to have great residual values, so I don't know what the problem with the Mustang lease is other than in the past it appeared to me that Ford really doesn't want to lease Mustangs as I've never seen a really attractive lease available on a Mustang.
Old 9/2/06, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Every thing is negotable. I pay for the extra miles up front at a discount. I prefer this because I dont have to worry about trying to sell a 2 year old car with 50,000 miles on it. And because I only keep it for 2 years the car is almost always under warrantee. I haven't done anything but basic maintence on a car in 10 years. So I save money that way too.

Number one, no one leases a Mustang GT or better. The rates really suck.

Number two, a fully loaded GT/CS conv is $38,000 or $39,000 Auto.

Number three, you don't want the lost and hassle to sell a two year car with 50K on the odometer. Well, there is not that many buyers for a high mileage two year old Mustang GT/CS, so that is why you take the bath.

Number four, without your tax write-off, you would not be saving anything. It is very costly to dump a new vehicle every two years. That is why most are 39 mons which ownly work out for a low mileage vehicle.

We last leased an 01 Lincoln LS at 50K-2 year, just too costly to ever do that again.
Old 9/2/06, 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Import Vs Domestic
Yes and no. Japanese labour isn't cheap, and the cost of living is ASTRONOMICAL in Japan (I lived there for a year), but there is simply a different work ethic. Workers take pride in the company, and by and large most companies take care of their workers... without the need of a large union like UAW that, although was initially formed with the best of intentions, has turned into a greedy, lazy parasite. In Japan, the workers simply do their job, and they get paid decent wages. It's that simple. Too bad here in North America we have no bloody concept of working TOGETHER for a common good anymore.
working together for a COMMON GOOD is a communist idea

and the japanese companies dont need to pay health care ..the government does

you saying people should not have healthcare here?? do you have health coverage?? maybe you shouldnt either then .. unions are the ONLY thing stopping companies from stomping on the common guy

yea and toyota ..theyre soo nice ..didnt they this year just close an entire factory in india because the workers wanted to be treated like humans???
Old 9/2/06, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Badsnke98
That is why most are 39 mons
Most of the leases are 39 months because most of the warranties are 36 months and the manufacturers want you to be stuck holding the bag for any mechanical problems at the end of the lease.
Old 9/2/06, 09:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RaslDasl
Most of the leases are 39 months because most of the warranties are 36 months and the manufacturers want you to be stuck holding the bag for any mechanical problems at the end of the lease.

Not that much is going to happen during months 37, 38 and 39 that has not already occurred. Some vehicles come with longer warranty's. If your's does not and you are that worried just turn the vehicle in early and move on to the next mechanical problem waiting to happen under a new warranty.
Old 9/2/06, 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

reading that just now it dawned on me, if you have a 39 month lease and a 36 month warrenty, when you turn it in if you dont know or dont think something is/could be wrong with the car but the dealer says there is are you now responsable for fixing it since its no longer covered? i would think that would be the case. just like if there was a huge scratch on the car when you turned it in you would be responsable for the cost to fix it or the depresiasion SP? it my have caused. wow thats something i never thought to ask about a lease car before
Old 9/3/06, 08:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just saw this on another post somewhere, but if Ford wants to sell more cars and take away some thunder from Toyota and Honda, SELL MORE SMALL HYBRIDS!!! Make a Focus Hybrid that gets 40+mpg. The Escape hybrid is great, but it really doesn't get great mileage, because it's a mid size SUV. People want something that gets good mileage, and most of Ford's stable is packed with fat gas hogging trucks and SUV's. 2 years ago, gas was cheap (comparitively) and people had money to burn, so why not get that Excursion that gets 10mpg? Now at $2.50-$3.00 a gallon, people are a little more uptight about mpg's.

Bottom line is this: in order to survive, you have to sell cars/trucks that people will buy. People want to buy fuel efficient vehicles these days.
= FORD MUST SELL MORE FUEL EFFICIENT VEHICLES.
Old 9/3/06, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

they could make a focus that gets 40 mpg thats not a hybrid, but they wont. they could make hybrids that get well over 100mpg but they wont. because the big oil companys are controlling what they build by sharing a chunk of the profits
Old 9/3/06, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vc4life
they could make a focus that gets 40 mpg thats not a hybrid, but they wont. they could make hybrids that get well over 100mpg but they wont. because the big oil companys are controlling what they build by sharing a chunk of the profits
Who is making a hybrid car that gets 100mpg that meets government regulations and customer expectations for styling, room, and durability?
Old 9/3/06, 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

no one but they could, WE SENT A ROVER TO MARS! you dont think someone could make an affortable nice roomy car that gets more then 50mpg or better yet over 100mpg, sure they can but they're not going to because they would lose MONEY! and thats my point
Old 9/3/06, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
According to the articles I've read about cars with 100mpg, the technical hurdles are hugely challenging. I am not sure why any business would produce something that would not make a return on investment, whether directly or indirectly.

As far as 50mpg cars go, some cars advertised to achieve those figures do not actually do it. Read this article from USA Today or this one from Wired.

An interesting resouce about hybrid cars can be found here.

I agree that an increase in the hybrid versions of certain cars will help Ford, but I also think that nicely styled cars would be as much or even more beneficial.
Old 9/3/06, 11:15 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jcopin
working together for a COMMON GOOD is a communist idea
Old 9/5/06, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by V10
You're comparing your lease on your present G35. 2 years ago interest rates were much lower. Have you priced out a new G35 lease at today's prices?

Recently when I was at a local Ford dealer talking to the sales manager he was crying to me that he just can't compete with the lease specials that Toyota & Nissian have. Either Toyota & Nissian are loosing money on their lease specials, or the higher residual value allows them to lower their lease costs. The 2005+ Mustangs appear to have great residual values, so I don't know what the problem with the Mustang lease is other than in the past it appeared to me that Ford really doesn't want to lease Mustangs as I've never seen a really attractive lease available on a Mustang.
No I comparing the new 06 G35 coupe that is now sitting in my driveway.
Old 9/5/06, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Badsnke98
Number one, no one leases a Mustang GT or better. The rates really suck.

Number two, a fully loaded GT/CS conv is $38,000 or $39,000 Auto.

Number three, you don't want the lost and hassle to sell a two year car with 50K on the odometer. Well, there is not that many buyers for a high mileage two year old Mustang GT/CS, so that is why you take the bath.

Number four, without your tax write-off, you would not be saving anything. It is very costly to dump a new vehicle every two years. That is why most are 39 mons which ownly work out for a low mileage vehicle.

We last leased an 01 Lincoln LS at 50K-2 year, just too costly to ever do that again.
Number one, That is my point.

Number two, According to forddirect fully loaded is $35,895 Stick But even if there are equal in price. They are still way off on leasing.

Number three, Thank you for making my point as to why I will only lease.

Number four, But the point is I do get the write off, and so do a lot of other people. And I dont do this to save money really. I do this because I drive alot and dont want to drive a car that will not be covered by warranty. One major repair to one of these cars with all the high performance parts and technology can be very expensive. The most I am ever out of warrantee is 6 months, and that cant be helped.
Old 9/5/06, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by vc4life
no one but they could, WE SENT A ROVER TO MARS! you dont think someone could make an affortable nice roomy car that gets more then 50mpg or better yet over 100mpg, sure they can but they're not going to because they would lose MONEY! and thats my point
He is right..we did send a rover to Mars, and we have put men on the moon. Now if we could just get that pesky hundreds of millions of dollars price tag down we should have no problem. Until then if you would like to buy a 30 million dollar Focus that gets 100 mpg have at it.
Old 9/5/06, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Number one, That is my point.

Number two, According to forddirect fully loaded is $35,895 Stick But even if there are equal in price. They are still way off on leasing.

Number three, Thank you for making my point as to why I will only lease.

Number four, But the point is I do get the write off, and so do a lot of other people. And I dont do this to save money really. I do this because I drive alot and dont want to drive a car that will not be covered by warranty. One major repair to one of these cars with all the high performance parts and technology can be very expensive. The most I am ever out of warrantee is 6 months, and that cant be helped.
#1 That no one wants a two year old used up Mustang GT/GS with the best part of it used up, I agree! Mustang GT's where never intended to be leased, even rates were favorable on leasing. People are willing to actually own them, they have a following.

#2 Ford Build & Price - 2007 Ford Mustang Coupe GT - Premium
MSRP Invoice Auto $38,220 is still missing Front Seat Side Air Bag $380
So, if that is your point why are you posting here? Their two completely different vehicles. Your chose, a wanta-be something or other with no heritage. Also, your owner loyalty is helping your G35 payment.

#3 I didn't. My point is the general Mustang used vehicle buyer is not interested in your type of left overs, so you must pay the piper.

#4 The point is your high mileage use of a vehicle is very costly without a tax write you would not be leasing anything. You would most likely back off on your driving because you could not write off your insurance and fuel costs either. Also, not much faith in any vehicle EH?

Quick Reply: What is Ford doing wrong?