2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What Fake Me Out Gas Cap Do You Like The Best

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/04, 01:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gotta go with the classic tri-bar and pony.
Old 4/2/04, 07:52 AM

I probably could do without it altogether, Pony or GT on it. But like Brad, I wish they'd better integrated the keyhole somehow. At present, it looks like it was drilled into the edge of the thing as an afterthought. Rather, perhaps they could have made the center part a sliding cover over the actual keyhole. But that would have cost $5 more, so Ford went with the cheap and tacky, a shame when they are trying to raise their styling and attention to detail above such things obvious shortcuts.
Old 4/2/04, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd prefer to see a shelby logo in there...
Old 4/2/04, 09:00 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by rhumb@Apr. 2nd, 2004, 8:55 AM
I probably could do without it altogether, Pony or GT on it. But like Brad, I wish they'd better integrated the keyhole somehow. At present, it looks like it was drilled into the edge of the thing as an afterthought. Rather, perhaps they could have made the center part a sliding cover over the actual keyhole. But that would have cost $5 more, so Ford went with the cheap and tacky, a shame when they are trying to raise their styling and attention to detail above such things obvious shortcuts.
Who really needs a keyhole there anyway? There isn't one on the passenger door, and I use my remote keyless entry every time I open the trunk.
Old 4/2/04, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BlueStangVert+Apr. 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlueStangVert @ Apr. 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rhumb@Apr. 2nd, 2004, 8:55 AM
Who really needs a keyhole there anyway? There isn't one on the passenger door, and I use my remote keyless entry every time I open the trunk. [/b][/quote]
same here. i have yet to use my key to get into the trunk, we dont need a key, trunk raleace in glovebox an remote are all we need. imo.
Old 4/2/04, 09:37 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I honestly don't think it was a shortcut.
I think they are being smart about it.

The more cool/moving things on the exterior of the car...the more vandals tend to want to mess with them.

Leave it the way it is..and i'm happy.
It looks good, and although it may not deter thieves from attempting to rip the whole badge off...and least its not like the old days where one could just RIP it off.
Old 4/2/04, 09:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

I like the GT better
Old 4/2/04, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Boomer@Apr. 2nd, 2004, 10:40 AM
I honestly don't think it was a shortcut.
I think they are being smart about it.

The more cool/moving things on the exterior of the car...the more vandals tend to want to mess with them.

Leave it the way it is..and i'm happy.
It looks good, and although it may not deter thieves from attempting to rip the whole badge off...and least its not like the old days where one could just RIP it off.
Maybe not a shortcut, but certainly not as well integrated design/aesthetically-wise as I think it could have been done. The round form of the key hole just doesn't really accentuate or complement the rest of the gas cap/medallion design, rather, looking like something that was imposed upon it after the fact, not designed with it.

Regardless of any concerns about vandals, a simple sliding cap over a concealed key hole would hardly be an overly complex mechanism and just would have looked that much cleaner IMHO.

Admittedly a very minor criticism, but then again, great vs merely very good design IS about sweating ALL the minor details to get them just right. Perhaps it is because Ford has advanced the overall design quality of the '05 soooo much that a minor thing like this even warrants mention, a "flaw" that would have all but disappeared in all the design detail clumsiness of the current car. So perhaps in an odd way, that criticism has advanced, or shrunk, to this level is a bit of a complement to the new design overall.
Old 4/2/04, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Pony & Bars

Actually wouldn't mind the Team Mustang flaming horse in there... it would match the tattoo on my arm.
Old 9/9/04, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. The 6 is nicer. You would have thought that they would have put more thought into the design...Especially when it's somewhat of a "focal" point on the rear. I do agree, look to the aftermarket world in the near future.
Old 9/9/04, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I voted GT but I like both of them. Wish they were easy to swap out. You cuold swap depending upon your mood.
Old 9/9/04, 10:59 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BlueStangVert@April 1, 2004, 12:03 PM
I wish they'd hidden the keyhole under the center of the medallion.
I completely agree with you.
Old 9/9/04, 11:13 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Boomer I agree with you, better having a hole a little "out of place" than having the entire medallion ripped off within a month of owning the car. (pay attention to how many Mustangs have had the ponies ripped off)

I like the look of the medaillion, maybe the aftermarket will build one that is hinged for the ones who don't like the keyhole.
Old 9/9/04, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by jarradasay@April 1, 2004, 7:04 PM
They appear to be stick ons. I bet we could order to pony and remove the GT ourselves. probably cost like 100 bucks for the pony sticker tho
I can guarantee the emblem is not a stick on. There is a fastener designed specifically for it. I know the person and company who has the patent.

FWIW, I like the GT.

-John
Old 9/9/04, 11:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Well ill be,i never noticed the passenger side non key hole,but then again i never noticed it on earlier model either (not to self,get eye check up)

As for the fake gas cap rear keylock thing,i could do without it.Maybe something like below but with name mustang recessed below keyhole like 2004 models?
Old 9/9/04, 11:48 AM
I Have Admin Envy

For me, it looks as if something is missing without the medallion

Maybe if they moved the licence plate up there (like SN95) and made the bumper smooth it would look better.
Old 9/9/04, 11:52 AM

Both are a bit overdone for me.

Perhaps something toned down a bit, more stylized in a modern vein and referencial than replica, in a brushed metal finish. The current one is just too gaudy and bling bling for me.

I'd like to see the recessed panel done in some dark matte finish perhaps, either black, gray, or some dark brushed metal finish.
Old 9/9/04, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

pony, pony, pony
Old 9/9/04, 12:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

No, No, No :notnice: :notnice: :notnice: That is an integral part of the Mustang tradition. No messy with it. Also, Moving the lic. up to the trunk would make it the focal point of the rear, ugly... look at the back of the Caddy CTS if you want to see what I mean! Now that is one UGLY car. Plates are a necessity not a styling tool.
Old 9/9/04, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the pony one better too. I would rather have a pony on the side also. One side with a GT and the other with a Pony.

Quick Reply: What Fake Me Out Gas Cap Do You Like The Best