2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I verified the Tire Pressure Sensors work...

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/07, 07:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I verified the Tire Pressure Sensors work...

I had headed to the dealership today to try and take care of the 6000 mile service, but got there a bit too late. So instead I decided to head south to San Antonio to find something to do. Got on I-35, started to complain about the traffic, and ten miles south of Austin thought maybe I hit something. About 30 seconds later the TPS icon came on, and "Low Tire Pressure" popped up on the info panel. I hit the hazard lights and pulled off on the shoulder. Got out, clearly heard hissing from the rear left tire, and began cursing while I popped the trunk to get the spare tire.

Still not sure what I hit, but there is a sizable piece of sharp metal stuck in it. I'm going to replace the tire, as it's a pretty big gash that is going to be left behind when the object is removed.

Ugg.
Old 1/27/07, 07:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks, but now you know...
Old 1/27/07, 09:35 PM

Word of adwise. Put the dough nut spre tire front, and put the front tire on the back. Riding on the spare tire will domage your LSD. Spare tire is different size than OEM tire, so it rotetes different speed. It will ware out the clutches on your LSD.
Attached Thumbnails Well, I verified the Tire Pressure Sensors work...-mustang-3.jpg  
Old 1/28/07, 12:51 AM
GT Member

Any recommendations on what to replace them with? The local Discount Tire Store shows these tires all in stock, and the same size. Right now I have the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS that came stock, but am willing to turn this incident into a possibility for something better.

And thanks for the tip on where to put the spare. Pretty much for now the car will be parked in the garage till I can get it to a tire shop. I didn't think about where to put the spare when it happened, but I did limp home at speeds under 50mph.
Old 1/28/07, 01:40 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by drakino
Any recommendations on what to replace them with? The local Discount Tire Store shows these tires all in stock, and the same size. Right now I have the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS that came stock, but am willing to turn this incident into a possibility for something better.
I'd throw on the BF Goodrich g-Force KDW IIs @ 255 all the way 'round, personally...but they are a bit spendy.
Old 1/28/07, 08:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by flyfinn
Word of adwise. Put the dough nut spre tire front, and put the front tire on the back. Riding on the spare tire will domage your LSD. Spare tire is different size than OEM tire, so it rotetes different speed. It will ware out the clutches on your LSD.
Agreed, but hopefully someone is only using the spare for very limited use... If not, then definitely install on the front.
Old 1/28/07, 07:18 PM
GT Member

I had mine go off the other week. I was on my way to work and the light came on. I was on a back road with no shoulder and a lot of traffic so I had no place to pull over and just prayed. Finally when I could pull over I noticed that all of the tires were fine. The TPS is nice, but it would be even better if it told you the tire. I found one that was low later in the day, but I spent the rest of the way to work trying to guess which tire was loosing air.
Old 1/29/07, 07:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
I'd throw on the BF Goodrich g-Force KDW IIs @ 255 all the way 'round, personally...but they are a bit spendy.
So, whats your address so I can send you part of this invoice

Just ordered 4 of the g-Force KDW @255, the shop should have them in on Thursday. Wasn't planning on replacing the tires currently, but hey, at least this way I now also have road hazard coverage on them in case something else on I-35 decides to get under the tires.
Old 1/29/07, 11:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Those G-Force KDW's ride nice and stick very well,good choice!
Old 1/29/07, 08:57 PM
Closet American

So, whats your address so I can send you part of this invoice
Address is in my profile. Just remember the postman only delivers one day every hundred years.

Just ordered 4 of the g-Force KDW @255, the shop should have them in on Thursday. Wasn't planning on replacing the tires currently, but hey, at least this way I now also have road hazard coverage on them in case something else on I-35 decides to get under the tires.
Atta boy...