2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Well, add me to the accident list

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/06, 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, add me to the accident list

Not looking for pitty just pretty mad and wanted to post. Driving today and it has been raining pretty bad but was not when this happened. Made a left and went down this street with a small bend in it, well I was only going 20 but put my foot on the gas and when I did the car lost control around the curve I ended up doing a 180 into the other lane and then 5 seconds later someone came and smashed right into the back of me, once I started fish tailing there was no saving me it was just wait and pray to God I don't hurt anyone. Thankfully the woman in the other car and her daughter were not harmed and the daughter walked away with a bloody lip because she was not wearing her seatbelt, wierd thing is the woman was also holding two dogs in her lap while driving . Needless to say the rear half of the car is totaled bumper, quarter panels, trunk, all either smashed or all acordian dented. No damage done to the rear axel but my exhaust is probably shot, not sure whats going to happen at this point the body shop is talking with the insurance company, I am not sure what is going to happen if they can fix my car I wonder if it will ever drive right again. Oh and your going to love this the first thing I do is jump out of the car and see if they are alright and the woman looks at me and says "you know I have always hated mustangs, they are just so ugly" and no I am not kidding. Well, thanks for listening I always feel better writing stuf on here.
Old 12/13/06, 01:45 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So sorry that happened to you. Thankfully no one was injured. Good Luck with your insurance company.
Old 12/13/06, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Should have said, "really.. wow.. i've never been partial to women having the right to drive"....

glad your ok....

car should be ok... as long as frame isn't bent.
Old 12/13/06, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Vistablue: sorry to hear about the damage to your Pony! I'm sure you'll have her fixed up and good to go in no time.

This is the first "accident" thread I have seen where someone doesn't say, "sorry about your crash, but this is an excuse to get mods!" Personally I think that is crass.

I am interested in the circumstances of how you spun out. Was it applying the gas at the wrong time in a curve? Slick road? Standing water? While I know our 'Stangs are a bit skittish in inclement weather I am worried that it would be VERY easy to lose control. (not putting down your driving, just genuinely curious.)
Old 12/13/06, 02:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Tom, so sorry man, that sucks. BUT..as others have pointed out, as much as we love our Mustangs, they are still things and things can be repaired or replaced. I'm sure you are glad as am I that nothing happened to anyone. Humans tend to damage more easily and be less easy to fix.

As you've discovered, these babies can be a handful in the wet weather. This is one of the reasons I choose not to run it in the rain/snow. I understand the ability of these cars to bite back because I too have experienced something similar although not with this particular one. I just can't trust myself that I wouldn't put my foot down at some point forgetting the weather factor and this stuff happens so fast, you can't recover.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 12/13/06, 03:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
Should have said, "really.. wow.. i've never been partial to women having the right to drive"....

glad your ok....

car should be ok... as long as frame isn't bent.
Heh heh,
or
"I never really liked women who got pleasure from their dogs while they friggin drive eitherr." What kind of car was she driving?

PS So sorry about that bro, hope you get her straightened out quick.
Old 12/13/06, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can he shoot for a no fault accident since the woman was obviously pre-occupied playing with her dogs in incliment weather? If you spun out and did a 180, she should have been following far enough behind you to be able to avoid any accident.
Old 12/13/06, 04:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom, I'm so sorry to hear. As a fellow VB owner, I feel for you bud! I hope you told the police officer that she was driving with 2 dogs in her lap when the accident happened. Plus, what in the h*&& was that lady thinking not having her child buckled up in the first place. Was the kid in the front seat, and did their airbags deploy? If both answers are yes, that mother is lucky that her daughter wasn't hurt more severely.
Old 12/13/06, 04:16 PM
V6 Member

I take it this was an older car without airbags. Dogs on lap + employed air bags = not good.
Old 12/13/06, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

My mother is a lawyer, and after talking to her you might actually have a good case to not be at fault here. Sorry to hear about the crash and hope everything turns out good!
Old 12/13/06, 04:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

glad everyone is ok. not glad to hear she had no seatbelt on her child! best of luck with everything.
Old 12/13/06, 05:10 PM
Cobra Member

First to answer mrkabc, it was actually all of those factors combined I underestimated the curve and while not flooring it (when I spun out I was going 30) the slick road and some standing water did not help my traction, yes I would have to say that loosing control of the car under wet conditions (going straight or turning) is a very easy thing to do and unless your in an open area the possibility of of coming out of a tail spin with out damage is highly unlikely, still if I was lucky enough to not have anyone coming the only damage that would have happened would be a very messed up passenger rear wheel as I first hit the curb and stopped and was then hit 3 or 4 seconds later. The child (she was 13) obviously thought she was too cool to wear a seatbelt and I guess her mother did not force it, the officer could tell she was not wearing a seatbelt as if she actually was her face would not have hit the dash (yes sitting in the front seat). I spoke with the officer but I can really make no claim to the dogs as he did not see the dogs (her husband got there before the Police and moved them to his work van, my word against hers) though I did mention it. The car she was driving was a 2000+ Oldsmobile van it was quite well equiped but her air bags did not go off because she was breaking and the front of her car was being pushed down by the weight and the sudden stop thus my cars rear, ended up smashing into the hood area and did not set off the air bags sensors that are in the front bumper. I got slapped with a careless driving ticket though I have no plans to plead guilty to it, and will try and dispute the ticket based on the factors of the dogs that I mentioned and the fact that the girl was not wearing a seatbelt. Hopefully I can get the ticket downgraded to something that does not carry points if I agree to pay all fines. Needless to say when I get my car back I will be going A LOT slower in the rain, as I now know first hand that my baby was ment for dry roads and clear days. I am impressed with Ford for making the car safe under these horrible circumstances, I was hit at about 35 - 40MPH and suffered virtually nothing aside from a sore shoulder. Thanks everyone for the kind words, if the insurance agent takes pictures I will share them (I personally don't want any)
Old 12/13/06, 05:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
pics??
Old 12/13/06, 05:23 PM
Cobra Member

this is not something I want pics of but if the insurance agent wants to take some I will post what he/she gives me
Old 12/13/06, 08:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
You got rear ended, is her fault no?

Just trying to make the best out of it.
Old 12/14/06, 01:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Stoenr
You got rear ended, is her fault no? Just trying to make the best out of it.
It sounds as though he ended up and was hit in the oncoming traffic lane, so I don't think the courts would consider it a true rear-ender. But he could argue that she may have been distracted by having dogs in her lap and that a "reasonable and prudent" driver (as the courts say around here) shouldn't have hit him.
Old 12/14/06, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry about the accident that is a bummer.

As far as the dogs in her lap and your citation for careless driving they are completely seperate. I am not sure I would try that defense with the judge as it may just **** him/her off. The fact that you were spun out in the wrong lane pretty much shows you deserved the ticket. Not trying to pick on you and sorry to say it but it is the truth. As far as the dogs are concerned if you could prove that, you might have a good chance at redirecting the fault of the collision from you to her. Was she on her cell phone as well? Can't tell you how many women drivers have almost killed me on their phones.

Good luck to you, hope everything works out ok.
Old 12/14/06, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, that sucks. It just seems like all the cards were not totally lined up for you. Your case does sound viable, but it just depends on how the location looks. I mean for us it is easy to say, she hit you, she was preoccupied, she is at fault. But, we dont know about the road. You said it was around a turn. So does the lady acually have that much time to react....normally without the dogs? Because you know, a blind turn could be a bad turn. If I was going around a turn like that, I wouldn't be swurving out to the left side of the road, because that would be on coming traffic, so she might not have had the choice but to break as hard as she could and maintain the lane she was in.

I'm not trying to side with her or you, just trying to look at it from another angle. Personally, after she said that "mustang" phrase to me, I would have asked how she and her daughter was, and then said...oh it's too bad about the dogs...
Old 12/14/06, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

If you lost control of your car and she hit you, you're still likely at fault. The relevance of the dogs in her car or lack of a seatbelt is questionable. I'd take the ticket to court and if you have a good driving record, they may let you off for court costs. I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. My first wreck was in a wet turn 25 years ago in a Trans AM, and I'm still overly cautious when approaching any turn in the rain. It's one of those things you don't forget.

I just wish Ford would add a vehicle stability system to the Mustang like GM is doing for many of its cars. It would make it safer for all of us.
Old 12/14/06, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My roomate's Mazdaspeed 6 has Stability control. It can't overcome the laws of physics. And his system at least puts the car into severe understeer if it senses the car going into oversteer. It's very counterintuitive to the driver that actually knows what to do in a skid situation.

He usually turns it off in the rain because he feels it is harder to control the car.

Quick Reply: Well, add me to the accident list