2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Weird starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/08, 01:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Weird starting problem

I went to start the GT today and let go of the key too soon by accident. Upon trying to re-crank it, the starter didn't make a sound almost as if I didn't have the clutch fully depressed. I re-stomped the clutch and still got nothing. I had to pull the key out and re-do it to get it started. Has anyone else encountered the same problem?
Old 7/17/08, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think I had to pull the key out (honestly don't remember) but I did the same thing and it took two or three tries after that to get the starter to turn.
Old 7/17/08, 05:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Its mad at you for not driving fast enough.
Seriously, my Ranger pulled something like this on me about a year ago.
I got it to just barely run when I turned the key off too quickly.
I limped home with no power (when I hit the gas,felt like it was running on 2 cylinders).
I turned it off after the 5 miles home. Turned it on again and it ran like brand new.
I chalk it up to confusing the computer by not turning the starter the way it wanted.
Old 7/18/08, 07:43 AM
GTR Member

I also notice that the throttle becomes much less responsive after an initial hot start (like after filling up with gas). I've never had this happen with my 2000-up automatic Fords. It's either the 2005-up PATS system and/or the clutch safety switch with regards to the weird no-start condition.
Old 7/18/08, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I went to start the GT today and let go of the key too soon by accident. Upon trying to re-crank it, the starter didn't make a sound almost as if I didn't have the clutch fully depressed. I re-stomped the clutch and still got nothing. I had to pull the key out and re-do it to get it started. Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

I have noticed this problem if I happen to let the clutch out and kill it acidently every so often, It seems that if I try and re start it immediately I get no responce when I turn the key. I have found just take a second and take your foot off the clutch, turn the key off and then back on and it fires up just fine.
Old 7/18/08, 08:43 AM

I think I remember reading something about the starter being disabled when the car is on, so you don't accidentally engage the starter when your engine is running. Maybe you've confused it into thinking the engine is running when it is actually not, thus disabling the starter until you reset it by removing the key?

[Tangent] For the few months that I still had my old Volvo and Stang at the same time, I would do it pretty often in the Volvo (is it on?? I don't hear it.. *kgh-ktt-ktt* ah crap, it was already running )... I can never tell if a typical passenger car is on or not anymore after getting used to the constant rumble of the v8.
Old 7/18/08, 06:30 PM
GTR Member

You have a good point. It seems kind of odd to have that on a Mustang GT though. It's not like it runs so quiet that you can't tell if it is idling!