2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

water leak

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/07, 10:46 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoping you get better luck at the second dealer - that one seems to know what's going on. At least you're getting somewhere. Oh yeah, if a survey regarding the first dealer's customer service comes in, you know what to do, unless of course you've responded to one already - no mercy for the crappy service !!!

I find that kind of issue unacceptable for any new car no matter the price. If it was someone's new boat, I doubt they'd take the advice to "lighten up" as kindly.
Old 3/19/07, 11:16 PM
GT Member

Thanks man..I mean mahalo
Old 3/19/07, 11:31 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hi5.0
If it was someone's new boat, I doubt they'd take the advice to "lighten up" as kindly.

Yeah, water leaks in boats really suck, don't they?

Old 3/24/07, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
So right away I have more confidence that these guys have it together. If they fix it up, the stang stays. Appointment is next week, vert stays garaged until then.
Scott
Wanted to let you know that your story sounds very similar to mine. I went through the same thing. I lucked out and had an excellent mechanic who refused to give up. It took 3 trips but he got it. On the last trip he sealed every penetration he could reach. That was well over a year ago, and it has held. I have had the car in some really bad downpours too. Hang in there .. you have hope, and with luck you will get a good mechanic. Be patient, it may take a couple of trips.
Old 3/24/07, 10:18 PM
GT Member

Thanks. I have dried my GT out from last week and rain testing her this weekend. Going for another opinion on the leak at a different dealer on Monday. So far it is dry, but I am going to have them leave the carpet up so I can check easily.
Scott

Crap, I found another huge scratch in the paint this afternoon. Driver's side door sill and it goes down to bare metal. How the hell did it get scratched there??? and how did I miss it until now??? **** thing has been in the garage or backed out into the driveway to test in the rain. WTF!
Old 3/26/07, 09:48 PM
GT Member

Cool leak fix, take #2

Ok second dealer took a look today, water tested and found "water trickling in at RF firewall....sealed wiring harness grommet and antenna wire grommet at the firewall"
They also found scrapes on the shifter bezel and confirmed the driver's door jam scratch to the metal and sill plate scratches on the aluminium.
#2 dealer service was great but it is a royal pain to get there and a bugger of a busy drive. I would practically have to take a day off work for servicing my car. Otherwise top notch service.

Got home and I called #1 dealer's service manager to look at the car. He was great and apologized for all the problems. He wondered aloud how they would have damaged the driver's sill plate and jam when all the work was on the passenger side. I asked if they really took out the carpet (b/c I didn't think they did) He said he saw the carpet out. Then I asked so the seats need to come out to get the carpet removed?? yes. Bingo! the huge deep scrape is right where someone was working to get the driver's seat out..it all lines up as the guy would be laying across the sill and jam to get at the bolts.
The manager agreed to all the damages and is looking into getting things repaired
So if she stays dry and they get the damage repaired, I am a happy man
Old 3/27/07, 07:19 PM
GT Member

The following was posted on another forum tonight. It appears to be such useful information about the leak problem, I have copied it to post here for everyone's benefit:

" ... Getting Closer To Finding The Leak.
I went to the dealer to to check up on my car. A SURPRISE to fine the car outside ( still in pieces ) with the hood up. I walked over to the car and saw a stack of papers sitting on the plenum cover of the motor. I picked up the papers and started reading a form of a tsb direct from ford! From what i gathered there are 4 entry points on the 2005+ mustangs that water could enter the cabin on the passenger side of the vehicle. Just as i was getting to the end of the papers ( mind you i was reading as fast as i could) the mechanic approaches me and asked if i was the owner. We started talking and he told me he has definately found one area where the water is entering the car and possibly 3 other locations! By this time the service rep approaches with camera in hand and started taking pictures of just about everything. To make a long story as short as possible i will try to break down what i read and what the mechanic told me.
1st entry point........the seam where the front windshield frame meets the fire wall. He physically showed me where the seams have seperated and that he started putting seam sealer on part of the broken area. This is where he feels the majority of the water is coming in at. He said that the front passenger side and driver side are two seperate compartments so apparently the weld is only failing on the passenger side of the car ( two seperate robot arms possibly?????? ) He said he sprayed directly into the broken seams and saw water gushing in the car!
2nd entry point.......
You must take off the passenger side fender lining (that black plastic piece protecting the motor from debris coming off the tires). You will then find a gromit that (at least on my car) was no where a tight fit, that allows power cords from the battery and other parts of the enging to enter into the cabin and attach to the junction box located behind the kick panel. From what i gathered from the mechanic. The failed seam at the firewall and this gromit somehow come together and build water just behind the gromit.
3rd entry point......
Behind the gromit listed above...there is a second gromit.......you could almost say there are two gromits in one location one on the engine side and one on the cabin side. Both gromits on my car are very loose fitting and really need to be seated and sealed again.
4th and last entrypoint ........ Bad window seal (which i tend to believe is NOT the problem) which runs down the cabin side of the fire wall and runs along the dash board attachment lip and drains over near the kick panel.

Believe it or not i fell relieved that i am seeing some progress and the fact that i know they have contacted ford direct and that ford sent them color photos of possible areas where the leak may be intering the cabin. I asked the mechanic if i was the only one with this problem so far and he shook his head No and said 'there are too many like this!' ... "
Old 3/27/07, 07:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mail906
He said that the front passenger side and driver side are two seperate compartments so apparently the weld is only failing on the passenger side of the car ( two seperate robot arms possibly?????? )

This is very disheartening on many levels. Yes, the water leak is a big issue, but failing welds are a MUCH bigger issue. Are the welds in fact failing or is it an issue with a misapplied seam sealer - i.e. stiff sealer used in an area with some flex?
Old 3/27/07, 10:16 PM
FR500 Member

don't know if post #47 is good news or bad news... seems Ford has "officially recognized" the problem but is trying to keep this one quiet.

BTW, Scott (twokidsnosleep) glad to hear you are hopefully that much closer to getting your issue resolved and dealer #1 finally wised up. I guess sometimes if kind words don't work, the "other kind" gets the message across. Still, roast 'em on the survey anyway.
Old 3/27/07, 10:40 PM
Closet American

Yeah, I talked about this back in post #35.

Ford is aware there is a problem, and a TSB is supposed to be forthcoming.
Old 3/28/07, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

Corporate Ford has some real management problems which I feel are easy to fix. Second Ford needs to crack down on these bad dealers BIG time this run around bull**** is unaccecptable. I have had leaks before and I can tell you that while the problem was the same the dealership (Toyota) handeled it much better, then the story here and I feel bad for all of you. I also know of many foreign delaers that suck, and how crappy their service can be (Mercedes in particular). I have not had a huge problem with service work on my past Mustang and I don't anticipate it for my new one. It's all about the dealership, trust me Ford at most levels wants to help it's customers but when Ford drops the ball some dealers are just not willing to work for their customers past delivery and signing. Thats not to take all the blame off Ford as they need to step up on this one and fix it where it starts, unfortunetly for the UAW workers that plant in Mexico (where they build the Fusion) is looking like it fixes the problem really well.
Old 3/28/07, 07:03 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
...unfortunetly for the UAW workers that plant in Mexico (where they build the Fusion) is looking like it fixes the problem really well.
Speaks volumes about the issue of "entitlement," doesn't it?
Old 3/28/07, 10:46 PM
Cobra Member

Still it's hard to talk about this without sounding like a basher. Which I am not (hell I am hours away from dropping 30K on a new Ford). My point is that it only takes a few to ruin it for the many and Mullay needs to find these people and broom them fast. All it takes in a Bad platform manager here, and a lazy QC manager there and a "I want more breaks and a raise" UAW worker there and there and Lousy dealerships EVERYWHERE.

I often wonder if Mullay focuses so much on Euro Ford because in the background these statments and changes (Hau's promotion) are the signs that Global Ford will remove the detractors or at least put a chain of command in that forces them to conform, possibly moving 90% of production/assembly out of country and importing the Euro cars straight from the plants to America, of course with necessary changes.

Though it goes without saying that this can apply to any company, and I don't think the imports will be doing much better as time wears on. The recent huge steering ball joint recall from Toyota, Which is the second time they recalled this part, once being for the past truck body style (04 and back) and the other now. This is eerily reminisant of that tire fiasco a few years back. Also I think what we are seeing is as the volume of imports sold is increasing the more problems that pop up from increased mass production, not just because more are bought but because more have to be made in general. Yes that sounded a little odd so I will explain when a company like Bugatti makes a Veyron they are making one veyron and take the time to individually craft the car, pouring over every detail. How many problems do you think something made like that has? My bet, none.

See the whole start of qulaity from imports cars started when they were making less cars, whenthey had the time to take their time and now that production is ramped up 10 fold quality that was not an issue before pops up. Are some the worst problems in auto history? No, but are the end results dangerous? Yes. Everything starts small and snowballs over time. I don't know about you but I would rather have my car not start then have it start, run normally and all of a sudden the gas pedal falls off or my steering joint break and now I can't steer. The question is why is the quality slipping, my guess is that these Japanese car companies are getting cocky, much like their American counterparts did.

Truth be told, why not? With Ford and GM in the red and their place properly secured in American Auto culture (NASCAR for one) it's not hard to imagine that they feel as if they can cut some corners. I would be curious to see how these companies actually stack up on their own turf, where all of the following is true 1. Many asian nations have an extremely strong sense of nationalism 2. The preception is "only buy domestic". I have never come across a consumer report out of Japan that states that you should not buy a domestic product, that if sold over here given how it looks and is built would surely be bashed. I feel it's more then the comment "oh it's different there" and more like "it's Domestic so we don't care".

I am not saying that the asian nations are narrow minded but many asian nations live to see their country thrive and will do whats necessary to help that, reguardless. Now none of this excuses the current situation (the leak I did not forget ) the reason I still buy from Ford is that despite the people on here that have a leak (and if it were me I would be ****ed, so I sympathize and feel horrible for you) but I still see this as an isolated incident that effects only so many out of the hundreds of thousands of Mustangs sold over the last 3 years. Should this have been adressed? Absolutely and much quicker too boot.

I just do not judge and entire company based on an incident that effects (in my exposure so far) only some unfortunate few all with the same make of car. It would be a different story if we all had different Fords that were all leaking (hense why I pointed out the Fusion earlier). My family recently bought a 2007 Edge and after driving it for 3 weeks I have found it to be one of the most competent and well made vehicles I have driven/rode in (review to follow shortly). It's whisper quiet, the interior fit and finish is very nice with zero rattles, and the suspension makes pot holes feel like bumps. I also know many other people with new Fords who have absolutely no problems, some being 05+ Stangs who have been driven and sat in torrential down pours.

Understand that I am not excusing the problem at hand and stand by what I said before, but I am explaining why I still support this company. The final point just to make this all come full circle is that most people on here that continue to have the same problem always seem involve the same thing the middleman (dealership) treating it's customers poorly and not being willing to do whats right, and what angers me the most is that Ford lets it continue.

My advise to all those suffering from leaks, would be some people have gotten this fixed at their dealership, one jst posted in the warranty and service section under the leak post, get the dealer contact info find a dealer you trust and have their service department call the other service department and let the guy who fixed it talk about what he did, with your dealers tech and I bet your leak gets fixed this time. Again I wish everyone the best through this, and I hope for a quick resolution that gets you back to burning pavement rather then taking up space on it
Old 3/29/07, 02:25 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Still it's hard to talk about this without sounding like a basher. Which I am not (hell I am hours away from dropping 30K on a new Ford). My point is that it only takes a few to ruin it for the many and Mullay needs to find these people and broom them fast. All it takes in a Bad platform manager here, and a lazy QC manager there and a "I want more breaks and a raise" UAW worker there and there and Lousy dealerships EVERYWHERE.

I often wonder if Mullay focuses so much on Euro Ford because in the background these statments and changes (Hau's promotion) are the signs that Global Ford will remove the detractors or at least put a chain of command in that forces them to conform, possibly moving 90% of production/assembly out of country and importing the Euro cars straight from the plants to America, of course with necessary changes.

Though it goes without saying that this can apply to any company, and I don't think the imports will be doing much better as time wears on. The recent huge steering ball joint recall from Toyota, Which is the second time they recalled this part, once being for the past truck body style (04 and back) and the other now. This is eerily reminisant of that tire fiasco a few years back. Also I think what we are seeing is as the volume of imports sold is increasing the more problems that pop up from increased mass production, not just because more are bought but because more have to be made in general. Yes that sounded a little odd so I will explain when a company like Bugatti makes a Veyron they are making one veyron and take the time to individually craft the car, pouring over every detail. How many problems do you think something made like that has? My bet, none.

See the whole start of qulaity from imports cars started when they were making less cars, whenthey had the time to take their time and now that production is ramped up 10 fold quality that was not an issue before pops up. Are some the worst problems in auto history? No, but are the end results dangerous? Yes. Everything starts small and snowballs over time. I don't know about you but I would rather have my car not start then have it start, run normally and all of a sudden the gas pedal falls off or my steering joint break and now I can't steer. The question is why is the quality slipping, my guess is that these Japanese car companies are getting cocky, much like their American counterparts did.

Truth be told, why not? With Ford and GM in the red and their place properly secured in American Auto culture (NASCAR for one) it's not hard to imagine that they feel as if they can cut some corners. I would be curious to see how these companies actually stack up on their own turf, where all of the following is true 1. Many asian nations have an extremely strong sense of nationalism 2. The preception is "only buy domestic". I have never come across a consumer report out of Japan that states that you should not buy a domestic product, that if sold over here given how it looks and is built would surely be bashed. I feel it's more then the comment "oh it's different there" and more like "it's Domestic so we don't care".

I am not saying that the asian nations are narrow minded but many asian nations live to see their country thrive and will do whats necessary to help that, reguardless. Now none of this excuses the current situation (the leak I did not forget ) the reason I still buy from Ford is that despite the people on here that have a leak (and if it were me I would be ****ed, so I sympathize and feel horrible for you) but I still see this as an isolated incident that effects only so many out of the hundreds of thousands of Mustangs sold over the last 3 years. Should this have been adressed? Absolutely and much quicker too boot.

I just do not judge and entire company based on an incident that effects (in my exposure so far) only some unfortunate few all with the same make of car. It would be a different story if we all had different Fords that were all leaking (hense why I pointed out the Fusion earlier). My family recently bought a 2007 Edge and after driving it for 3 weeks I have found it to be one of the most competent and well made vehicles I have driven/rode in (review to follow shortly). It's whisper quiet, the interior fit and finish is very nice with zero rattles, and the suspension makes pot holes feel like bumps. I also know many other people with new Fords who have absolutely no problems, some being 05+ Stangs who have been driven and sat in torrential down pours.

Understand that I am not excusing the problem at hand and stand by what I said before, but I am explaining why I still support this company. The final point just to make this all come full circle is that most people on here that continue to have the same problem always seem involve the same thing the middleman (dealership) treating it's customers poorly and not being willing to do whats right, and what angers me the most is that Ford lets it continue.

My advise to all those suffering from leaks, would be some people have gotten this fixed at their dealership, one jst posted in the warranty and service section under the leak post, get the dealer contact info find a dealer you trust and have their service department call the other service department and let the guy who fixed it talk about what he did, with your dealers tech and I bet your leak gets fixed this time. Again I wish everyone the best through this, and I hope for a quick resolution that gets you back to burning pavement rather then taking up space on it
Fairly stated.

But I just want my car...!

Old 3/31/07, 11:33 PM
GT Member

I detailed and washed the car today and she looks good. No leak evident so far. There were fingerprints in many places on the inside of the car and some plastic mouldings were not all snapped fully backed into place. I can tell they ripped the **** out of her. I shampoo'd and vac'd the carpets and washed and polished the interior all up. My 5yr old and I put the summer wheels back on...he thought that was "the coolest thing we have ever done" I had him wash and wax his bike
This is a photo of the driver's side damage to the sill from the seats coming out....it ain't pretty. The leak was on the passenger side, but they took out the carpet so both front seats came out.

Old 3/31/07, 11:40 PM
GT Member

Cool

Another closer view..nice gouge hey

After the cleaning fit, she polishes up nice

sorry if those pics are a bit large
Old 4/1/07, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Off topic, but... Twokidsnosleep, you sound like a nice dad working on your car with your kid and having him wax his bike is priceless. Sorry about the scratches, things like that are why I hate to take my car in for anything. I would think all Ford employees should know that these Mustangs are like children to us! Hope everyone gets their leaks fixed. After reading a couple of these threads lately, I check the carpets after each wash or rain!
Old 4/1/07, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

I presume they're going to do some touch-ups to fix their screw-ups? They need to fire the hack that did that to your car. That's 100% unacceptable from a dealer technician.