2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Verts and rain

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/06, 07:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Verts and rain

Anybody have this problem, and how do you solve it?
When it's raining and I open the door, all the drops fall on the seat. If I remember I try to wipe the drops off the bottom of the roof, but that does not work all the time.
Old 10/16/06, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question Doug!!!! I have the same problem with mine. Also have the problem with the wife's 05 Solara.

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have an idea of how to close the doors without leaving fingerprints on the outside of the door????
Old 10/16/06, 09:06 PM
Cobra R Member

use your elbow
Old 10/17/06, 02:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dougxox
When it's raining and I open the door, all the drops fall on the seat. If I remember I try to wipe the drops off the bottom of the roof, but that does not work all the time.
You might keep a towel handy and, when it looks like rain, leave it on the seat when you park the car to catch any drips next time you open the door .
Old 10/17/06, 02:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 66FastbackGT
...Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have an idea of how to close the doors without leaving fingerprints on the outside of the door????
I use the palm of my hand on the edge of the door to close it.
Old 10/17/06, 04:47 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two fingers on the very edge of the glass to close the door.

My Vert has done this too, but it is rarely in the rain so I have no solution.
Old 10/17/06, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have an idea of how to close the doors without leaving fingerprints on the outside of the door????
Paint your car white.......
Old 10/17/06, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

In a Vert there is no rain gutter - therefore water will ALWAYS drop off the roof onto your seat. Sorry - it's just something you have to live with.
Old 10/17/06, 02:32 PM
GT Member

Good question Doug!!!! I have the same problem with mine. Also have the problem with the wife's 05 Solara.

My vert's never seen the rain and never will. To close the door without leaving prints, I stick my finger in the keyhole and push. Very affective on my Torch Red fingerprint grabber.
Old 10/17/06, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

The coupes have the exact same water drip... I live in rainey Seattle so It's even worse for me.

I just have a towel handy in the center console.

As for leaving finger prints on the door. You can try pushing on the lock cylinder part of the door handle. Or push with two fingers on the edge of the glass right where the glass meets the door molding.
You could also do a Michael Jackson and wear one white glove!
Old 10/17/06, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

The vert's never been in the rain and hopefully never will.

I'm **** about the finger prints on the door as well.....you really see them on the Refire. I close the door using the outside door handle. The handle doesn't seem to show the prints. On the trunk, I close it holding the fake gas cap. Works great.
Old 10/21/06, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Try using your index and middle fingers on the black weather stripping Between the door and the door glass, about an inch or so from the door's edge. That should work just fine.
Regarding the water drops, that is a problem for every vert. Check out JC Penny or whatever store close by that has a large selection of cotton bath towels. I look for a hand towel that will complement the interior colors of my car. I usually fold it in half, then roll it together; placing it between on the floor between the seat and the door sill. I usually look for towels that are on sale, and that evenually will wind up being used for auto detail or cleanup.
It's also not a bad idea to pick up a couple of wash clothes (cotton again) to keep handy in the vehicle fot that bird dropping. Just make sure that you use a color that will be friendly to your top color. Use that cloth with warm water to remove that dropping ASAP!
Old 10/21/06, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

This thread is great. It has reassured me that there are a lot of other guys out there who are just as obsessive about their Mustangs as I am. Last month, I was detailing the suspension

I have a 'vert and about the rain drips, we don't get much rain out here in the eastern Washington desert but I just wipe up the drips with a towel. I'm not about to let them dry and leave dirt stains. No big deal.

Birds on the other hand are a problem. Seems they can't resist pooping on a nice shiny car. So a towel and some Mother's spray detailer is always helpful to have at hand.

Fingerprints don't show much on my Satin Silver, but yes closing the door with your elbow works just fine.
Old 10/22/06, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a huge NO-NO if you have dew or water on you windshield. Don't leave your door open when you activate the windshield wipers!

My pony was covered in dew one morning and I started her up. While I was stitting there with the door open I decided to flick the wipers on. Sheesh! Big mistake. Talk about a puddle getting splashed on your leg, carpet and door sill.
Old 11/9/06, 07:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Did some detailing and pre winter maintenance over the weekend, and found out if you put 303 on the vinyl roof the drops dont collect up as bad. The drops are there but not very big, they drop off smaller. Kinda like waxing the top. They bead up real nice.
Old 11/9/06, 09:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did some detailing and pre winter maintenance over the weekend, and found out if you put 303 on the vinyl roof the drops dont collect up as bad. The drops are there but not very big, they drop off smaller. Kinda like waxing the top. They bead up real nice.
the only thing i don't like about 303 is when it rains it leaves streaks all down the windows and it looks like ****