2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Vandalized in broad daylight on busy street

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/05, 11:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you, after I got the windshield installed, I'd take a day off from work and park the car in the EXACT same spot. Then I'd put a note on the windshield that said "I had to replace this windshield. Don't do it again." I'd then hang out by the car in an out of the way place, and wait to see if the scumbag would take the bait. Then, when he/she jumped on the hood again, I would make sure they'd have a "terrible fall" from my hood of my car that resulted in at least a broken nose and a fractured jaw.

But that's me.
Old 6/24/05, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, that totally stinks. It makes me wan't but in the end it's still your Mustang, and thats all lot more than most people can say.
Old 6/29/05, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I got the windshield replaced on Monday. It was pouring when I got home from work, so I only got to move it from where it was parked to where I garage it, a very short drive. So I have not had a chance to really check it out, but it generally looks good.

One question - the windshield they installed has the running pony's head to the right... I can't remember if this is the way it was originally. For some reason, I'm thinking it was running to the left. Can anyone confirm for me which way the pony's running on the stock windshield?

Thanks!
Old 6/29/05, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From inside the car, it runs to the right.
Old 6/29/05, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry that happened to your car!! It is so ridiculous how jealous people act. Breaking your windshield didn't get them the car they wished they had, it only caused more of your neighbors checking the street for punks!!

lemme at 'em, lemme at 'em

Glad you got your winshield fixed though... may I suggest something clear and greasy on your hood for the next few days >evil grin<
Old 6/29/05, 11:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Jack,

That stinks donkey doo what that punk did to your car. Glad it was just the windshield and no body damage. I've been to Park Slope and would never think of that happening there. When I take my car to JC, now that gets me nervous.

Glad she's all fixed.
Old 6/29/05, 11:24 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, does that ever blow. Some people have no respect at all for another persons belongings. I think some body that couldn't afford your car was jealous and reacted in a terrible way. Hopefully it never happens again.
Old 6/29/05, 11:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jcopin@June 24, 2005, 10:20 PM
prolly some herbs from the ghetto pissed off at something that doesn't fart when it moves or they confused why anyone would spen more on the car than the rims
Does anything constructive ever come out of this guys mouth?

Sorry to hear about the damage to the car. I had my old Accord vandalized by a bunch of punk kids coming home drunk from a party. I was at the wrong light at the wrong time and they got out and started to hit the car. Then they got infront of me again up the road and blocked me. They got out and started to hit it again. Needless to say I was pissed! One kid took the rap for the other four. He served six months in the clink.
Old 6/29/05, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the kind words - and the info about the pony.

Yeah, it really suprised the he|| out of me that this happened in park slope, particularly during the day at a relatively busy intersection, both in terms of foot and automobile traffic. I garage my car, but have occasionally left it parked overnight because I need to take it early the next morning or some such thing. No problems with the pony being stolen off the grill or anything else until now. If anything, I would expect vandalism at night, not in the middle of the day. I figure someone must have seen something, but I have not heard anything from anyone.

I have to tell you, when I got home after finding out about it, there were people standing around, shaking their heads.. lots of people stopping and looking, giving me their sympathy, etc. The cop who came told me it "broke his heart." I was like, "Yeah.. me too."

Anyway, I am fortunate it was just the windshield, particularly because someone climbed up on the hood to kick it in. Anyone with some weight to them would have made some damage to the hood, too, I think, and kicking in a fender or quarter panel or some such think would have been a lot worse.

My guess is it was a group of pre-pubescent punks, maybe with some girls, deciding to show off by bashing the nice new car. I doubt that the person who did it is even old enough to drive, so I'm not convinced it was a jealousy over not being able to afford it thing (it's a pretty affordable car, and there are tons of bmws, jags, mercedes, etc., parked all around that never get damaged). I think it was just random, senseless vandalism.

I'm a lawyer. I'm also a generally forgiving person and, in most instances, if I found out a neighbor kid had done something stupid or something, I'd probably let it go if the parents promised to punish the kid appropriately, maybe make them pay for damage if there was some. But holy he||, if I ever found this punk, you can be sure I'd drag him through every legal proceeding I could muster, press charges to the fullest extent, etc. - you never touch another man's car. That's a rule that you either must know and respect or learn to know and respect.
Old 6/29/05, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. And I know how pissed I was to find a red drink all over my car, which apparently from the spray pattern it was thrown at my car's fron passenger side. If anything like this had happened, I'd probably be typing this from a prison library or something.

Hopefully this kid will be punished.
Old 6/29/05, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Whoever that person was that did that to your car is entitled to one serious A S S W H O O P I N G!!!! I would be furious and I am sure you were when you found out. Hang in there.

I hate people with no respect for someone else's things :bang: If it's not yours dont touch it :bang:
Old 6/29/05, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

i once watch a guy hit someones car right in front of them with his car , the kid parked the car and proceeded to just leave i was like holy poo... this is some crazy stuuf going on , i never found out what came out of it....
Old 6/29/05, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Jack, sorry to hear about it. Just to add a by-the-way comment, if anyone tells you they can install a windshield and it be cured and ready to drive in an hour is full of crap. It takes a good 24 hrs or 36 hrs for that adhesive to fully cure. It's not going to leak, but it won't be as safe... for instance, if you were to get into an accident and you weren't wearing a seat belt, the windshield may not hold, and you could be ejected from the car. So... now that it's too late, I just thought you should know. But, yeah... there is no adhesive that has been approved by the NTSB that will cure in 1 hour. You're probably ok because it is summer... because temperature is the biggest factor, next to humidity, but ... just thought I'd change the subject for a minute.
So, back to the topic at hand.. I hope you catch the little bastard and kick in his windshield..... so to speak
Old 6/29/05, 01:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@June 24, 2005, 6:22 PM
So I was at work today when my neighbor called me and said, "I don't know how to tell you this, but your windshield is smashed in." I had the cops drive by it to make sure no one could get in the car, then when I got home, called the cops again and they took a report.

Car was parked at a busy intersection in a nice residential neighborhood in Brooklyn (Park Slope, for those who know it). When I left at 9:00 this morning, she was fine. A doorman next door to me told me it was smashed when he got to work at 4:00 this afternoon. It was parked on the corner of a major road, where people are always walking and lots of cars go by every minute of the day. I don't see how this could have happened, but it did.

There were footprints on the hood, which means someone climbed on it and kicked the windshield in. The hood was not dented or otherwise damaged at all (thank god), so it must have been a light - even extremely light - person, i.e., a kid. Probably a group of little wannabe thugs with one of them wanting to impress the others. Man, if I could find the shoes that match these prints... holy he|| would there be broken legs.

Hoping to replace tomorrow. I called a mobile windshield place and they said I should be able to get it done tomorrow morning (which is good b/c I was supposed to be going somewhere tomorrow), and that, once installed, it only needs an hour to cure. They also said that it had the mustang on the windshield, i.e., was the same as the factory one, which was nice to hear - I thought I was going to lose my little fella there behind the mirror. The woman told me that people ask for the windshield with the pony on these so much, that they don't even make any other windshield for it, like a "generic" one or whatever - if you get this one replaced, it will come with another pony, like it or not. Cost ~ $370. Better than I expected, but I'd rather have painted, window louvres, a steeda triax . . .
Dude, that truly bites! Small consolation, but it coulda been worse! Too many jealous low-lives out there!

The other day I came out and there was a big sticky foot-print on my rear bumper. There was no damage but I was like WTF?

~Rob
Old 6/29/05, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Where'd that happen, your house?
Old 6/29/05, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@June 29, 2005, 2:31 PM
Hey Jack, sorry to hear about it. Just to add a by-the-way comment, if anyone tells you they can install a windshield and it be cured and ready to drive in an hour is full of crap. It takes a good 24 hrs or 36 hrs for that adhesive to fully cure. It's not going to leak, but it won't be as safe... for instance, if you were to get into an accident and you weren't wearing a seat belt, the windshield may not hold, and you could be ejected from the car. So... now that it's too late, I just thought you should know. But, yeah... there is no adhesive that has been approved by the NTSB that will cure in 1 hour. You're probably ok because it is summer... because temperature is the biggest factor, next to humidity, but ... just thought I'd change the subject for a minute.
So, back to the topic at hand.. I hope you catch the little bastard and kick in his windshield..... so to speak
Fair enough. Guy did the installation at about 4:00 p.m., and it started raining just as he was finishing, I guess, and continued to rain for the rest of the day. I ended up moving the car at about 9:30 p.m., so about 5.5 hrs later. I drove it about 1 mile to where I garage it, put a cover on it, and it'll sit there until this weekend, so for 4 days or so. I think I should be good to go.
Old 6/29/05, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@June 29, 2005, 2:36 PM
Where'd that happen, your house?
Well, on the street, outside my apartment. Not a lotta houses (or driveways) in Brooklyn.
Old 6/29/05, 01:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It would have been nice if someone had seen something. I can understand your anger. Recently while driving in Vermont someone going the opposite direction splattered a burrito all over my hood....not even close to a broken windshield, but I was pissed.
Old 6/29/05, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@June 29, 2005, 1:44 PM
Fair enough. Guy did the installation at about 4:00 p.m., and it started raining just as he was finishing, I guess, and continued to rain for the rest of the day. I ended up moving the car at about 9:30 p.m., so about 5.5 hrs later. I drove it about 1 mile to where I garage it, put a cover on it, and it'll sit there until this weekend, so for 4 days or so. I think I should be good to go.
yeah, I'm sure there's no need to worry... just food for thought I guess
Old 6/29/05, 02:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry about your car, that terrible. My girlfriend says that was something a woman would do. With little footprints on you hood she might be right. Have you "3 F 'ed" some lady lately?

Quick Reply: Vandalized in broad daylight on busy street