2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Vandalism, gawkers, creeps, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/05, 09:10 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m getting close to being able to order my ’06. I remember posts regarding several negative aspects of owning one of the first new Mustangs. Vandalism, being bothered by every jealous nut case with an opinion to share, not being able to drive down a street or be at a stop light without a Jeff Gordon wannabe revving his engine for a race, etc.

Now maybe it’s just the normal statistical occurrence of this type of thing. I know the car is a cop magnet; I can deal with that. But I don’t want to get keyed or have a shopping cart “accidentally” shoved into my door because some moron is --issed off at the world and wants to take it out on my car ‘cause he can’t get one.

So, for those of you that have had your new Mustang for a while - how has your experience been? How much vandalism? How much negative aspects of just driving your car around and minding your own business?

Dave
Old 9/15/05, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

First, some stats:

Daily driven, over 6,000 miles since May, DC area.

Car has not been vandalized other than some inconsiderate birds letting their bowels loose. I did receive a small dent near the rear driver-side wheelwell, which was in the first 2 weeks or so. Hardly noticeable.

So far, I haven't had any Vin Diesel wannabes revving at me at all. Have not been pulled over, either. In fact, I haven't had any negative experiences, except that people seem to drive too slow nowadays .

Now, I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the area I live in. The suburbs of DC are pretty nice for the most part, and there's plenty of more expensive cars around here that would be a far greater target for vandalism than my car.
Old 9/15/05, 09:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts
It is not the car to own if you want to remain anonymous - at least for a while anyway.

I have not had a negative experience yet. People have come up to me in parking lots and been complimentary. I have been revved by a 3-series BMW, a hemi Charger and a GTO, but I do not street race. Others have already proved I could potentially do in two of them; the GTO is a question mark, I think.

Vandalism - well, you can never predict whose path you will cross. It could happen anywhere.

Sooner or later she'll get dinged. I know I'll cringe when I see the first one. On a black car with her lines, it'll show. I'll then see what a reputable body shop can do.
Old 9/15/05, 10:06 AM
Cobra R Member

No blatant vandalism yet, thank God, but I did notice the tiniest of indentations on my front bumper, like someone bumped it in a parking lot or something. Not noticeable unless someone were to point it out. Still bugs me though. I know it's there!

And yes, I get all kinds of attention, good and bad, from admirers as well as detractors wanting to "show up" a new Mustang. Guys in Civics and Acuras usually know enough not to mess with me, though.
Old 9/15/05, 10:07 AM
Banned

No problems here, just a lot of necks cracking as they turn to look. I guess we are making the chiropracters happy !! :P
Old 9/15/05, 10:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a kid in a Golf the other day, it looked like a new one. He was sitting in a Wawa as I drove by. I swear his head went all the way around checking the car out.

Was pretty funny.
Old 9/15/05, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I haven't had any problems and I am not worried about circumstances beyond my control.

I have had a few craparos rev their engines at me and some rice riders pop wheelies next to me.

I don't drive my car everywhere so I pick my parking battles.

I have noticed cops looking at my car but they seem to be admiring it rather than thinking of writing a ticket.

I did have some fool in a previous generation mustang pull up beside me last week and tell me that my car looked nice but I couldn't take his. As far as I could tell, the only thing done to his car was the application of a red R under the 4.6 emblem.
Old 9/15/05, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

On my first cruise I turned around in a little strip mall near my house. A girl and her BF/ husband were sitting in a shop at the window. When I turned in front of them the guy did a double take that looked like it hurt. Of course the girl just glanced and then turned away. No vandalism here but everyone wants to pass me no matter where or what speed I'm driving.
Team Mustang Source

Have 5,000 on it and around here, has been a pleasant experience. Don't get a group to form when I am pumping gas anymore but almost all comments recieved have been positive. Local police love to check it out with one incident of being followed for like 20 miles - thinking he was waiting for me to rap the pipes.
Bullitt Member

The only vandalism done to mine in 17000 miles has been the occasional asteroid belt I drive through that leaves my front bumper looking like it has a bad case of acne. However, im just waiting on the door ding since I dont always park away from people depends on the rush im in.

As far as races... I have had some runins with fellow drivers but never once one w/ less than 6 cyls.

And my clean driving record remains intact ... most of the time they are admiring the car more than anything.

But bottom line the attention is nice and makes you feel even better about your car
Old 9/15/05, 11:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had a guy in a Chevy truck spit on my drivers side window when I walked into a local eatery. He didn't like where I parked my car so I guess he wanted to be a jerk about it.

As for racing I've gone up against the usual suspects. I got my butt handed to me by a 350z when I first got it. Now I turn around and give them the business unless they are turbo or supercharged.
Old 9/15/05, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bpmurr@September 15, 2005, 12:03 PM
I had a guy in a Chevy truck spit on my drivers side window when I walked into a local eatery. He didn't like where I parked my car so I guess he wanted to be a jerk about it.

That is grounds for:

:jedi: :flame2:
Old 9/15/05, 12:04 PM
V6 Member

I had a kid in a VW Golf rev me and take off from a light on Day 3. Then a couple weeks ago a guy in Mitsubishi Eclipse passed me on the semi-paved right shoulder of the highway (ala Smokey & the Bandit) to get to the off ramp before me. And since I don't street race or rev others he was only passing me because I was in a GT.

Aside from that, only compliments and thumbs-up from other drivers in every type of car.
Old 9/15/05, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Lot of compliments and good conversations with people that had mustangs in the past. Everyone I've met seem to like the 05/06. I've had a few ricers want to race me, but I give them the "old man wave" :nono:, they usually flip me the bird, tell me i'm a chicken, and take off. I don't think that would happen as much if I didn't have the Shelby stripes, hood pins, flowmaster, sequential, etc. But I want the car to look cool so I put taunts from the occasional street racer.
Old 9/15/05, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by markski74@September 15, 2005, 11:09 AM
That is grounds for:

:jedi: :flame2:

He did it when I was inside picking up my food. Had I saw him in the act I would have done all the above. Glad I didn't though because I don't know what type of computer access they have in prison.
Old 9/15/05, 01:57 PM
V6 Member

No bad incidents yet, just great comments from people. Getting the windows tinted today so I know more of the cops will be looking at me.
Old 9/15/05, 02:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts
For Mr. Spitter, don't forget
Old 9/15/05, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've had my car for a month and a half and haven't had any problems with people. I had a Hemi Dodge 1500 revving at me on the freeway and I had to show him who the boss was. I haven't had any people try to race me on the streets except my buddy in his 350z
Old 9/15/05, 03:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've only had one unfortunate incident in the first 5,000 miles. Some idiot going in the opposite direction on a 2 lane road bounced a burrito off my hood. Don't know what it would do to the paint, but I quickly got that crap off there.

Most people love the car and approach as I'm gassing up or in a parking lot. I don't know how many times I've had the hood open while pumping gas. I love showing it to the admiring crowds.

No trouble from the police. I did have one open his window at a light to listen....don't know if he was admiring or hoping to cite me.
Old 9/15/05, 03:26 PM

This is what someone did to mine after about a month of having it.

Quick Reply: Vandalism, gawkers, creeps, etc.