2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

V6 vs. V8 …

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/06, 06:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martimus @ February 21, 2006, 11:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
And with my Ford Racing (Borla) exhaust I've got as much if not more of a muscle car sound than a stock GT exhaust (in my opinion)
[/b][/quote]

Ok, now your comparing an uncorked aftermarket exhaust to a stock corked exhaust...
...compare your borla v6 with the borla v8 exhaust and there is no comparison.

I had borla on my v6, and while it sounded awsome (I agree, its a great sound)
The V8 and its firing order + Borla S-Types scare women and children off the street....!
No comparison

-------------------

IIRC the reason the old vipers sounded like junk was because of their firing order and the fact that they didn't have an equalizer pipe, so it sounded like 2 inline 5s
I could be way off on that, but I remember reading that somewhere....
Old 2/22/06, 09:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ February 22, 2006, 8:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

The V8 and its firing order + Borla S-Types scare women and children off the street....!

[/b][/quote]

Awsome, I wanna see this! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]
Old 2/22/06, 11:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EleanorsMine @ February 21, 2006, 6:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Answer me this honestly:
Out of over 10,000 members here am I really one of the, or the only one who actually likes the v6?
I have no use for extra power- so I really truly like mine and would buy the same again.
[/b][/quote]

yes. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

TMS is a mustang enthuisiast site. For car guys/girls...who want the most out of their car. You state you have "no use for the extra power"....well 99% of us here...are looking to mod our cars to get the most out of them...including power.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martimus @ February 21, 2006, 8:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
And with my Ford Racing (Borla) exhaust I've got as much if not more of a muscle car sound than a stock GT exhaust (in my opinion). [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

are you kidding me? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] That's like a 6 cyl. honda accord claiming to have muslce car sound. It's impossible to sound like a muscle car with a 6 because the very definition of MUSCLE is a V8...you can get close to it....but not truly a muscle car sound.
Old 2/22/06, 12:17 PM
I Have No Life

It's for guys/girls/aliens that want stock or modded stangs...
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, I loved the sound of my borla on the 6...and Dan had them on his probe.

But after listening to the big muscle at cruise night....I said to myself 'I sound like a ricer!' hahahha
I mean, it wasn't that loud obnoxious sound, but the size of the motor, number of cylinders and their firing order makes ALL the difference in the world.

V6s, V8s, V10s and V12s all have their unique sounds...and sound great when accented... but something about 8s...Mmmm Hrmmmm
Old 2/22/06, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ February 22, 2006, 6:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, now your comparing an uncorked aftermarket exhaust to a stock corked exhaust...
...compare your borla v6 with the borla v8 exhaust and there is no comparison.
[/b][/quote]

Nah Pete... you missed the point completely dude.

Contrary to the opinions of those who believe that V-6's sound weak or ricey the V-6 with Borla exhaust SOUNDS like a muscle car. Ergo, if I or anyone who wants a muscle car that SOUNDS like a muscle car, guess what? A V-6 can satisfactorily accomplish this.

In terms of scaring women and children, I don't have a need to scare women and children. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img] On the other hand if I REALLY wanted to, I'd just let 'em see my ugly face. That'll do it much better and more consistently EVERY TIME!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurfnSoCal @ February 22, 2006, 11:54 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
are you kidding me? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] That's like a 6 cyl. honda accord claiming to have muslce car sound. It's impossible to sound like a muscle car with a 6 because the very definition of MUSCLE is a V8...you can get close to it....but not truly a muscle car sound.
[/b][/quote]

Nah Surfin... but your response has amusing undertones of SNOBBERY. In my opinion, the mindset that ONLY V-8's can be muscle cars is narrow-minded. Its no better than some yuppie with a Glock telling me that his weapon is more effective than my Ruger. His may hold more ammo but who cares... I don't need the extra rounds (or weight) to take down my target.

Once again I'll repeat what was said earlier, its not how you hold the pen its how you write with it.
Old 2/22/06, 10:59 PM
Cobra Member

So much for this post being a V6 V8 Technological Discussion. This is just more V6 bashing.
Old 2/22/06, 11:58 PM
GT Member

One thing to keep in mind about the GT's V8. Not its not the most amount of power a 4.6 can make, however when compared to any 4 cyl it doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same power. So, a 4cyl car any 4 cyl car makes 210 horsepower, great, but that was RPM band. "Well that would be at 6000 PM" How often do you drive the car in that area? "Not much its to hard on the engine things were out things overheat. So in the GT's case is a nice power curve. The car doesn't have to kill itself to make the power. Other than that it has to be the tradation of a V8 in a muscle Mustang. They go together.
Eric

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dapmustang @ February 20, 2006, 1:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Let me start with this caveat: This is a technological discussion: I DO NOT WANT THIS TO DEGRADE INTO A V6 VS. V8 VS. GT VS. NON-GT CLASS DEBATE! And yes, I am yelling.

Now on to the topic. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Someone posted an article about a Honda Civic compared to a Mustang GT. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] It talked about the “technology” approach to the Honda’s 4-cly, and the old-fashioned “displacement” approach to the V8 GT.

This got me thinking. No, I’m not thinking about a 4-cyl GT, but what if engine technology were to produce a V8-power-producing comparable engine with six cylinders? Would the V8 crowd be interested?

Yes, I know a HP and torque rating are a couple of numbers that don’t tell the whole story. It's like MHz in a computer microprocessor or megapixles in a camera. It’s area under the curve, curve shape, RPM, and a host of other factors that dictate real would performance. But work with me here for a moment.

What if Ford had a base V6 (210HP) and a GT or “high-output” V6 (300HP)? Again, for the moment, lets assume actual road performance was similar between the fictitious “high-output” V6 (300HP) and today’s V8 (300HP). Would you be interested?

I guess it comes down to this - is it the “8” in V8, or is it that, for now, the only way to get the power (300HP) is to get the GT with the V8. Is the V8 as much a part of the muscle car image as all the other “identifiers”? I also concede that the new V8 isn’t exactly a technological slouch either.

Another scenario. Lets say 2007 was the last year for V8 Mustangs - lets say 330HP V8. Lets say for 2008 the GT engine was a 360HP high-tech V6 for $1000 more sticker. Would you jump on the last V8 Mustang to be produced, or go for more power, more cost, but forever give up those two cylinders. Or make it any set of years when you would be considering your next Mustang - you get the idea. Let’s also say the V8 could be easily modified, but the V6 was complex and high-tech, and would have more factory power to begin with, but was not readily modifiable.

Again, no V6-V8 class arguments. We all want more and more power. I just want to open up a discussion regarding a displacement/cylinder approach vs. a high-tech smaller engine approach.

What do you think …?
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/23/06, 12:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't see Ford or any company dropping V8's in change for a high output V6.
Technology is getting amazing, soon we'll get car's that have independently timed an monitered cylinders. Sure right now we can do it to the whole engine, or maybe even to each bank, but when we can get max output per cylinder, and perfect variable displacement engines then there will be no problem running a big V8 that produces extremely low HC's, CO's, and NOX. And still get great gas mileage.
The V8 will be on forever.
It's mind boggling to know what will become standard even on a KIA in the next 10-15 yrs.
The V6 is nothing to be ashamed of, my car doesn't dictate my opinion.
Old 2/23/06, 12:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elwhit95 @ February 22, 2006, 11:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
One thing to keep in mind about the GT's V8. Not its not the most amount of power a 4.6 can make, however when compared to any 4 cyl it doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same power. So, a 4cyl car any 4 cyl car makes 210 horsepower, great, but that was RPM band. "Well that would be at 6000 PM" How often do you drive the car in that area? "Not much its to hard on the engine things were out things overheat. So in the GT's case is a nice power curve. The car doesn't have to kill itself to make the power. Other than that it has to be the tradation of a V8 in a muscle Mustang. They go together.
Eric
[/b][/quote]
A V8 has the advantage of firing a piston every 90 degrees of crankshaft revolutions. That is what creates the Tq, and smoothness, of the V8.
Variable runner lenghts and Variable cam timing go a long way on getting a vehicle to perform really well without a V8. Little cam and long intake runner for starting out (low-end), then switch over to your big cam and short runner for your top-end. Things like this make vehicles under 8 cylinders fun to drive.
It would be great for Ford to implement more technology to the current V6 without having to come with a V8 replacement.
Old 2/23/06, 02:45 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManEHawke @ February 23, 2006, 8:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A V8 has the advantage of firing a piston every 90 degrees of crankshaft revolutions. [/b][/quote]

I'm by no means a motoring expert, but isn't 360:8=45? Not that this contradicts your point, on the contrary.
Old 2/23/06, 03:20 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(poldrv @ February 23, 2006, 12:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So much for this post being a V6 V8 Technological Discussion. This is just more V6 bashing.
[/b][/quote]
Did you really have high hopes it would be anything but? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 06:05 AM
Cobra Member

Eleanorsmine - Nope, the discussion if we want to call it that always turns out the same. It is interesting to note that not many V6 owners bash the GT. Ford has created two mustangs as such you would think that people would realize that there is a group that will go gaga over the V6 and another that will go super gaga over the V8. To each there own.

As for the those that think that Ford should only have created a V8 mustang for 2005 perhaps those comments should be directed to Bill Ford. I wonder what Bill's reply will be considering 70& of the mustang market is the V6. I really don't think the choice to get a V6 over the V8 has nothing to do with cost either....it is though a little something called personal choice.
Old 2/23/06, 06:10 AM
I Have Admin Envy

This is a great discussion, as long as it stays technical, lets please keep it that way
Old 2/23/06, 06:35 AM
I Have No Life

It's not V6 bashing at all...

Nowhere have we said they suck...

Just keeping on the sound topic (its not a HUGE point, but nothing beats the sound of a done up 8)

Martin, I got your point... that you think it sounds muscley

I have NO doubts that the 4.0 sounds great with a done up exhaust...
Not debating that. My 3.8 sounded beefy...
The bigger the engine gets the deeper the sound will get.
So if your going by that, yes it'll sound deeper and mean...

Thats only PART of the pie....the other is how the engine fires.
V8s have an odd firing order that give them their trademark sound
Firing twice on the same side.

V6s sound the way they do because of their even firing order. (L-R-L-R-L-R)

That's why a V6 will never capture that traditional sound, they physically can't.
This is NOT saying they can't sound good.... again, I loved the way mine sounded.... but comparing it to an 8... hands down, the 8 just sounds meaner and has that muscle car lope/sound.

Compare even the 4.6 to a say a big 429....
Like I said at cruise night... the deepness ... i felt like I had a small pee-pee [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I haven't seen any V6 bashing, these guys are just pointing out that the V6 is not a muscle car, and cannot sound like one. That is just fact, not bashing.

The V6 is a great car and the Mustang platform would not survive without it. Shoot, the very first Stang made was a V6, wasn't it? That said, when they started making bigger engines in the late 60s, those are my favorite cars, the true muscle cars...
Old 2/23/06, 07:29 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I can't claim my car sounds like a v8- It sounds like- well a car. It has a nice note to it, but I can't claim it has a throaty rumble. Even though it doesn't have a deep voice, And the speedometer only goes up to 120. I love the car. I would still in a second choose the one I chose. That's just me and I am not ashamed of it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Besides, its my first mustang.
Old 2/23/06, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

For me, and this is in no way a dig on V6's, this is my first V8, and I can say I will never go back. I had a high output V6 in my previous car (01 Acura CL S type) with 260HP, and I think about 210 lb/ft. As has already been stated, you had to get the RPMs up to take advantage of the HP, and the torque was weak. It was not a fun car off the line, why, because it didn't have the torque.

Now, I know that I rarely get to use the hp/tq of the V8, but then again, my car is not a daily driver, so I don't drive it that much, period.

So, if I had a choice of a V6, even with the HP/tq of a V8, I think I would still take the V8. For the sound and modability. This doesn't mean that you V6 owners should feel like I'm trashing V6s, all of this is just my opinion..................
Old 2/23/06, 04:43 PM
GT Member

All I know is, I have got to stop reading this forum...all this talk about torque is making me want to go take my week-old four cylinder Altima back to the lot and go find a Mustang GT.
Old 2/23/06, 05:32 PM

I bought at V6 pony pack because I liked the looks, and I always said if Ford built a Mustang with a decent suspension (pony pack), I'd buy it. Traded an 01 Bullitt & I've owned two Cobra Mustangs. While the Bullitt was a nice car & I do miss its exclusivity, its exhaust noise at Interstate speeds drown out the CD player. If Ford puts the 250hp 6 in the Mustang, it will have a nice weight front/rear weight distribution and will be an even more attractive package. Bottom line, the current V6 is a nice option for some.
Old 2/23/06, 05:58 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GirchyGirchy @ February 23, 2006, 3:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
All I know is, I have got to stop reading this forum...all this talk about torque is making me want to go take my week-old four cylinder Altima back to the lot and go find a Mustang GT.
[/b][/quote]
Just a question, bro', but whatcha doin' buying a Nissan and hanging out on a Mustang site?

Quick Reply: V6 vs. V8 …