2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

V6 vs. V8 …

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/06, 07:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Enfynet @ February 21, 2006, 2:05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Wait, I was in the middle of taking my contacts out and thought I read that Toyota will be joining NASCAR... That's a joke right? .... I hope? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Nope, look for Toyota next season. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 07:07 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally would still prefer a V8

A good benchmark motor would be the upgraded 3.5L V6 in the 350Z. It is tuned to get 300HP, equivalent to the GT. It is also one of the best sounding V6 motors out there (strictly my opinion). There are limitations to this motor though. It uses premium fuel, which means that it is probably pretty maxed out in terms of compression and timing. It also lacks in bottom-end torque as compared to the V8

Using the 4.6 mod motor as an example, it is a small displacement V8 with plenty of room to grow in terms of power. Just a tune and intake have shown very strong gains. While these same mods can be done on a V6 like the 3.5L Nissan motor, the gains won't be as significant. The bottom end torque is a fantastic advantage, and a fringe benefit is the sound, even in a stock pickup truck, the sound of a V8 is just great.

In terms of the future, I believe with DOD and 7 speed transmissions on the horizon, I don't think that the future of the V8 is in peril. Unless of course, gas hits 4.00 or 5.00 a gallon in the near future. In terms of fuel economy, doing 50/50 City/highway in my car, I have managed 22MPG
Old 2/21/06, 07:25 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Answer me this honestly:
Out of over 10,000 members here am I really one of the, or the only one who actually likes the v6?
I have no use for extra power- so I really truly like mine and would buy the same again.

The only unhappiness I suffer is mine is an auto- but I wasn't going to turn down a Christmas present.
Old 2/21/06, 09:34 AM
GT Member

I think the 4.0L V6 is a pretty stout motor. It has a lot more potential in it than 210 HP, Ford just didn't tune it for anymore than that, so there would be a big difference between the base Mustang and the GT. It has nearly a 4" inch bore, (3.95") almost as big as the old 5.0. It's probably one of the biggest bore V6's out there. In Europe there was a Cosworth DOHC version of the Cologne V6. Hmm... the cosworth heads on the Mustang V6...

People like to compare the V6 Mustang to imports like the 350Z , but do they realize that 298 hp V6 in the 350Z is their top of the line engine, while the V6 in the Mustang is the base engine?

That said, personally, I couldn't pass up the chance to get an all-aluminum, 3valve 4.6L V8...
Old 2/21/06, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll take the 4.0L V6 in my Explorer (which has more torque than the new Stang V6), but when it comes to my summer car, it's V8 all the way, for the feel, sound, and for the high potential for adding more power.

Brits and some Asians like to say that we Americans like our cars rugged, rough, bad handling...etc. and I agree that I like a rough and tough car, hence the V8, but I think the new Stang is pretty refined as well, at least as refined as I want a sports car (technically a muscle car) to be. Personally, my girl and I laugh at the shopping cart wings and guys driving tiny little 4 cylinders that sound like my 2 stroke dirt bike. I can't apply that to the V6, but point being ricers are the worst, sixes are better, and the V8 sounds best (tho I've never driven a V12 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] )

I mean, I want to see pretty ladies at the red light, rev it, slam the gear, slam the gas, crank the Shaker and give them a big smile a wink...oh, and wasting some Type R on the way would be fine as well, which isn't hard considering how well this car hooks.
Old 2/21/06, 01:23 PM
GT Member

Seems to me (a V8 owner who loves punching it) that a better use of the money might have been to buy the V6 and mod the heck out of it. At least after looking at all the creative things those guys are doing over there in V6 performance. You'd get YOUR car and could have comparable performance to a V8 - after mods. The big IF here is time: which few have. After all, who needs 467 rwhp if you're not going to compete with it?
Old 2/21/06, 01:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ February 20, 2006, 2:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah, its surpising to see how many people do not look at torque numbers and strictly at the HP an engine is putting out.

There are so many factors.
[/b][/quote]

And where they come in in the rpm band. Go 35mph in 3rd in an S2000 sometime and suddenly floor it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ February 21, 2006, 9:06 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Nope, look for Toyota next season. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

And Dodge is pissed at one race shop sharing Dodge technology with a Toyota development team. Toyota will basically use American race teams to develop an engine for them they can simply stick thier name on.
Old 2/21/06, 03:21 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
you cant beat the sound of a V8.
you cant beat the feel of off idle torque(Ive had several bigblock cars- the GT still feels kinda weak down low- but overall its a absolute blast to drive).

I personally wouldnt swap my V8 for anything but a blown(roots type only- centrifugals dont help bottom end as much), or bigger V8.

face it- if its a street car 'legally' it will rarely get over about 3500 rpm. getting any seat of the pants feeling from a 6 would require a lot of work, or a lot of gear and associated rpm noise to attract the law. A lumbering bigblock will effortlessly slip the tires by just a slightly quick 1/8" of pedal from a traffic light, and not attract attention...to me thats a fun car...power you can actually feel every time you take off without having to romp on it...I'd really like a roush or magnacharger for mine [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

I think unless you are racing(hopefully not on the streets) HP means a lot less than low rpm torque.
Old 2/21/06, 04:41 PM
GT Member

What about a direct-injected inline four? Mazda and VW/Audi both have turbo fours with DI out right now and, while I haven't seen the curves, the HP and torque numbers are quite impressive...197 hp @ 5100 and 207 lb-ft @ 1800 for the 2.0L VW/Audi engine, 274 hp @ 5500 and 280 lb-ft @ 3000 for the Mazda's 2.3L. Direct injection allows precise fine-tuning of fuel delivery throughout the rev range, giving a good balance of economy and power. You don't see too many fours offering such good low-end torque, especially in a 2.0L!

Just imagine when DI makes its way into the mainstream I4, V6, and V8 engines...that's the next step for the IC engine, IMO. Better power and economy. What's not to like?
Old 2/21/06, 04:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shea @ February 21, 2006, 12:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
but point being ricers are the worst, sixes are better, and the V8 sounds best (tho I've never driven a V12 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] )[/b][/quote]
I'm still trying to figure out how Dodge made the V-10 Viper sound like a V6. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gmichael @ February 21, 2006, 12:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
After all, who needs 467 rwhp if you're not going to compete with it?[/b][/quote]
Exactly!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ford4v429 @ February 21, 2006, 2:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
you cant beat the sound of a V8.
you cant beat the feel of off idle torque(Ive had several bigblock cars- the GT still feels kinda weak down low- but overall its a absolute blast to drive).

I personally wouldnt swap my V8 for anything but a blown(roots type only- centrifugals dont help bottom end as much), or bigger V8.

face it- if its a street car 'legally' it will rarely get over about 3500 rpm. getting any seat of the pants feeling from a 6 would require a lot of work, or a lot of gear and associated rpm noise to attract the law. A lumbering bigblock will effortlessly slip the tires by just a slightly quick 1/8" of pedal from a traffic light, and not attract attention...to me thats a fun car...power you can actually feel every time you take off without having to romp on it...I'd really like a roush or magnacharger for mine [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

I think unless you are racing(hopefully not on the streets) HP means a lot less than low rpm torque.
[/b][/quote]
I agree... gobs of low end torque make all the difference... viva la stump pulling! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Speaking upon only the new 4.6 3v Mustang GT engine, it's hardly an "old fashioned" engine by any means. It implements all the technology the Honda k20 a2(?) engine employs (rsx-type-s), charge motion plates, called something different, but it does the same thing by changing the flow of air in the intake runners, restricting and opening to optimize torque and emissions, and the "vtec" is virtually identical to the Fords version of variable cam timing.

There are plenty of V6 and straight 6 engines that put out similar power and adaquate torque numbers but they are higher compression, requireing higher grade gasoline. They also tend to be more peaky and require higher rpm running to optimize their power. They are also more expensive to make when compare to a V8 with the same power output.

I'm amazed that Ford is able to squeeze the power and torque from such a small displacment sohc V8 and still be able to make ULEV rating. And the fuel economy isn't that bad either.

The sticking with a V8 in GT models is more about cost effectiveness and heritage than technology or HP/TQ numbers.
Old 2/21/06, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

Personally I'd take the V-6 any, and every, day of the week. I get plenty of that seat of the pants feeling from the V-6 and more than enough torque and HP... And with my Ford Racing (Borla) exhaust I've got as much if not more of a muscle car sound than a stock GT exhaust (in my opinion). [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

Oh yea and its much safer driving sanely by the hot rodding V-8's and ricers on the side of the road next to those cars with red and blue flashing [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/redlight.gif[/img] lights. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/policeman.gif[/img]

In my opinion its kind of counter-intuitive to have all that potential and not be able to use it safely outside of the track. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EleanorsMine @ February 21, 2006, 9:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Answer me this honestly:
Out of over 10,000 members here am I really one of the, or the only one who actually likes the v6?
I have no use for extra power- so I really truly like mine and would buy the same again.

The only unhappiness I suffer is mine is an auto- but I wasn't going to turn down a Christmas present.
[/b][/quote]
After seeing some vids posted on this site of a few V6's doing burnouts, I do have respect for how much power the six has.
Old 2/21/06, 09:49 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
something I'd personally like to see offered- a severely undersquare version of the modular- similar displacement, but small bore/long stroke, something that could hit 400-450 ft/lb by 2k even if redlined at 4500. I dont NEED a lot of horsepower- too tempting to get into trouble- but sure wouldnt mind a torque monster for a daily driver again.
Cant beat the everyday/legal 'feel' of a bigblock. If it werent able to rev, well that would just help keep from getting in too much trouble. I'd rather have 225-250 hp and 400+ ft/lb down low- its more fun, MOST of the time.
I test drove a V6 mustang, and its a fine running car. To me though, more torque the better, and best bang for the buck seemed to be going with a stock/warrantied 4.6...I am still amazed at the exhaust sound...its a tiny V8, but sure dont sound like it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The current 4.0L V6 definitely isn't a slouch. It's numbers aren't very far behind the GTs from the late 80s and early 90s.
Old 2/21/06, 10:20 PM
Cobra Member

For those of you that like the V6, I am in your corner. As I have indicated before you have to ask yourself were will you ever get to use the 300 horsepower of a 2005 GT. The race track perhaps. Legally on the street....not a chance unless you have a sweet way of getting out of a traffic ticket (s) or a monopoly get out of jail card. If you like paying traffic fines hey by all means buy a GT.
Old 2/22/06, 02:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

The S197 platform needs 300hp !

It's a heavy beast !!!

I would honestly prefer 350hp stock or 500lbs less weight.

It needs a serious freekin diet !!
Old 2/22/06, 04:45 AM
Cobra Member

I've never gotten a ticket yet in over a year of ownership of my GT. I may not need the torque or hp but cruising up 10 or 15% grade or higher @ 75mph in 5th turning 2100 rpm's is pretty nice.
Old 2/22/06, 05:30 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

My leadfoot and [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/LookAtME.png[/img] yellow car would bring me nothing but trouble if I had a Gt. As it is, I already drive like granny because I can't exactly blend in.

Sadly, Unlike the most of you, the most she ever does is haul kids shopping bags. She will never see a track.She will never see anything but making her better looking mods either. So there is really no point.

All in all, Enough power to please me.
Shes delicious yellow which I love.
And she is the car I waited for my whole life.
Old 2/22/06, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

I've never had a problem going up hills with a 10 or 15 % grade with my V6. Also I very seldom push the overdrive button to go up hill. It's like a previous poster has indicated it's not how you hold the pen its how you write with it. To borrow the qoute from Eleanorsmine " All in all, enough power to please me. She's delicious Windveil Blue which I love. And she is the car I have waited for my whole life.

Quick Reply: V6 vs. V8 …