2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

V6 sound

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/04 | 01:25 AM

i would like to now how the V6 exhaust sounds..
i've seen a lot of movies on this site from the GT, and it sounds very nice
but i haven't seen one of the V6 or heard the sound of it
is there anyone who's the lucky one to drive a V6 and can tell me how this car sounds???
a short movie of it is very welcome...
Old 11/15/04 | 02:29 AM
Cobra Member

I had a test drive in Edmonton last Thursday. Car has quite the rumble when you start it up. Very impressed. Go for a test drive and find out for yourself. To see my full length review on the test drive click on my screen name and all my post should come up.
Old 11/15/04 | 03:42 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by michel@November 15, 2004, 2:28 AM
is there anyone who's the lucky one to drive a V6 and can tell me how this car sounds???
I test drove the GT BEFORE I bought a V-6. The sounds are different, but there is still a throaty sound to the V-6. I am very impressed with the torque of the V-6.

I really liked the GT, but found it hard to justify the $5,000 difference when I considered my style of driving (conservative). I don't have a way to record the sound, but it's impressive!

Jim
Old 11/15/04 | 05:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought myself a GT 5 speed manual 3 weeks ago, and this weekend purchased a V-6 with automatic for my wife. Yes, it does have its own distinctive exhaust sound. Just enough of a low hollowing sound on start-up that drew a smile on my wifes face when the salesman started it up. Both of us thought the same of the initial cold start sound while standing at the rear of the car. Maybe half of the growl of my GT, but still a nice sound as it was the first V-6 we had heard. Didn't really sound like a six. At half throttle excelleration from a standing start, the shift points are quick and precise. Gets up to 70 with not much effort. While on I-90 driving back home Saturday after we picked it up, the ride was smooth and quiet. Rpm's at 70 mph were running at approx 2100 rpm. The leather seats were also comfortable to sit in.
Old 11/15/04 | 08:15 PM

They sound great!! I love to listen to my V6... I can't vouch for the GT though...but I love it!
Old 11/15/04 | 08:21 PM
FR500 Member

jaxxon welcome......thats totally awesome u got 2 models of 1 car haha must be awesome to see!!
Old 11/15/04 | 08:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Ponyman+November 15, 2004, 2:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ponyman @ November 15, 2004, 2:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-michel@November 15, 2004, 2:28 AM
I test drove the GT BEFORE I bought a V-6. The sounds are different, but there is still a throaty sound to the V-6. I am very impressed with the torque of the V-6.

I really liked the GT, but found it hard to justify the $5,000 difference when I considered my style of driving (conservative).

Jim [/b][/quote]
Yeah....I can relate to the conservative driving (my style too), but I like to play once in a great while also. With me, it's not the $5,000 more on purchase......you only have to pay that once! It's the 'high performance' tag on the car insurance that has me thinking......that part is always gonna be there! BTW.....to answer the topic question: I haven't driven a GT as yet, but I did drive the V-6 twice.....it has a nice healthy sound (not timid), and has plenty of get up and go IMO.
Old 11/15/04 | 08:46 PM
V6 Member

Interestingly, I was looking at the price difference in Canada and in our dollars (which are running approximately 80 cents US), the difference is closer to $9,000. I'm married, bought a house last year and have a young son; to me nine grand is a significant step up to a GT.

At around $24,000 CDN dollars, the V6 competes with a whole other level of cars. I could get a base Mini Cooper for that kind of money, or a loaded Mazda3 Sport, for example. At $32,000 for the GT, the options are dramatically different -- an Acura TSX is at that price level here.

I think both have a lot to offer at their respective price levels, but realistically, if I were to buy in the next couple of years, it would have to be a V6.

I've only seen reviews of the GT, which have been pretty strong. It will be interesting to see how the V6 fairs, especially in terms of handling (with softer suspension tuning and 65 series tires) and engine sound and character.
Old 11/16/04 | 12:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've only seeing passing comments about the V6... However some members here on the board have posted very thorough reviews of the V6 and their test drives. Do a search and you should find them.
Old 11/16/04 | 01:22 AM
V6 Member

Tone, you bring up an interesting point about high Canadian prices.

Years ago when the Cdn dollar was low I bought my wife's Windstar in Ontario for about 15% less than the equivalent price in the US. And the GST/PST was refunded when I exported it, plus there was no state tax for Canadian imports registered in Texas.

Now it seems the situation is reversed, maybe due to the high Cdn dollar. The Canadian GT is 8% higher than the US model, plus the higher taxes.

The Canadian models are overpriced.
Old 11/16/04 | 04:47 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tone@November 15, 2004, 9:49 PM
Interestingly, I was looking at the price difference in Canada and in our dollars (which are running approximately 80 cents US), the difference is closer to $9,000. I'm married, bought a house last year and have a young son; to me nine grand is a significant step up to a GT.

At around $24,000 CDN dollars, the V6 competes with a whole other level of cars. I could get a base Mini Cooper for that kind of money, or a loaded Mazda3 Sport, for example. At $32,000 for the GT, the options are dramatically different -- an Acura TSX is at that price level here.

I think both have a lot to offer at their respective price levels, but realistically, if I were to buy in the next couple of years, it would have to be a V6.

I've only seen reviews of the GT, which have been pretty strong. It will be interesting to see how the V6 fairs, especially in terms of handling (with softer suspension tuning and 65 series tires) and engine sound and character.
Hey there,

I know you only mentioned the Mini Cooper in reference, but I should say that that's what I traded in for my mustang. The coopers look great but have SERIOUS quality issues. I don't miss the car in the least and am glad I was able to trade and not lose my poo=rt in the process (Mini's have very high residual value).

Jim
Old 11/16/04 | 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jaxxon@November 15, 2004, 7:53 AM
I bought myself a GT 5 speed manual 3 weeks ago, and this weekend purchased a V-6 with automatic for my wife. Yes, it does have its own distinctive exhaust sound. Just enough of a low hollowing sound on start-up that drew a smile on my wifes face when the salesman started it up. Both of us thought the same of the initial cold start sound while standing at the rear of the car. Maybe half of the growl of my GT, but still a nice sound as it was the first V-6 we had heard. Didn't really sound like a six. At half throttle excelleration from a standing start, the shift points are quick and precise. Gets up to 70 with not much effort. While on I-90 driving back home Saturday after we picked it up, the ride was smooth and quiet. Rpm's at 70 mph were running at approx 2100 rpm. The leather seats were also comfortable to sit in.
Post some pictures of both of your cars together when you get a chance.
Old 11/16/04 | 05:58 AM
Queen Of Nascar

The sound is a nice growl, granted its not the V8 but a nice rumble all the same. I'm not good at describing it. Houtex can you help me out. lol
Old 11/16/04 | 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Jaxxon@November 15, 2004, 6:53 AM
I bought myself a GT 5 speed manual 3 weeks ago, and this weekend purchased a V-6 with automatic for my wife.
WOW, most people on here are still waiting for their first 05, and you have two!!
Old 11/16/04 | 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Yup, I spent so much time on this great website that my wife also wanted one of the new '05's, and then after I got mine, then she really wanted one. I drove an '04 GT manual that was Redfire over Father's Day weekend last June, took it back to the dealer, told them it was nice, and the rebate's on them looked inviting, but I really wanted to pre-order an 05 GT, no matter how much Ford's rebates were. She got the bug for one, but I managed to talk her into getting the V-6, as that has more than enough power for her. She's satisfied with her new ride, and it's 5K less than my GT. We were sort of going to wait until Spring and order one for her, but with the IUP delay, the talk of price increases, and maybe not even having the IUP available as an option in the future, I told her one was available right now, equipped the way she wanted it, so we may as well get it now. So we did. I'll see if I can post a picture when I get a digital camera avilable from one of my sons.