Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updating x-cal3 firmware question...

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/08, 04:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updating x-cal3 firmware question...

When updating the X-Cal3 firmware via SCT X3/LiveWire Updater software, a Pop Up comes up stating "That the Vehicle Must be Returned to Stock pops up, Click OK."

The SCT web site/tech area just says to Click OK and continue. The question is, do I really have to return the car to stock w/ the X3 before I update the firmware and then reload the custom tune after updating the firmware? SCT support articles/videos seem a little ambiguous on this point.

thanks - kf
Old 6/25/08, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
When updating the X-Cal3 firmware via SCT X3/LiveWire Updater software, a Pop Up comes up stating "That the Vehicle Must be Returned to Stock pops up, Click OK."

The SCT web site/tech area just says to Click OK and continue. The question is, do I really have to return the car to stock w/ the X3 before I update the firmware and then reload the custom tune after updating the firmware? SCT support articles/videos seem a little ambiguous on this point.

thanks - kf

Not a pro on the subject but since the stock strategy file might play a part in an error free operation after your firmware update i'd say yes, but should you return to stock before or after the firmware update is another question. I know 1 thing I got my X3 already updated from a dealer with custom tunefiles and it's a flawless quick operation to do anything with it, but did alot of research and careful surfing menus with it to get good, but mine works flawless and the adjustable options def. helped for "idle drive" on my auto and "lowering cooling fan speed more" . Good luck

Not alot of support sources but if you call "SCTFLASH.COM" techsupport or use their realtime help they should know..

Last edited by wveil06; 6/25/08 at 05:43 PM.
Old 6/26/08, 07:28 AM
V6 Member

Yep, contacted SCT and they said "Yes, definitely return car to stock before updating firmware" and then reflash custom tune after firmware upgrade.

I guess when upgrading the firmware it erases the part of the XCAL-3 that stores the stock tune so the only way to retain is to put it back in car, upgraded firmware and then when re-flashing w/ custom it will re-upload the stock file to the device.

Kinda like using your cars PCM to store the stock tune until firmware upgrade is complete.
Old 6/27/08, 05:36 PM

Yea I think they would benefit by constructing a complete operating manual because alot of crap can go wrong and they just don't have enough info available without contacting them on specifics, other than that I like mine alot and the custome tunes are nice too.