Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Light/Lock Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/07, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Light/Lock Cover Question

I don't know if all trunk light covers are as loose as mine. It has been that way since I have had the car. It's the molded black plastic piece that covers the lock mechanism and houses the light. It's not a big deal, but it bothers me that it is so loose.

Also, there is a round disc of what appears to be one half of a velcro closure on the right side. Any idea what that thing is?
Old 5/7/07, 06:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

I can't help you on the loose cover. Mine is 2.5 years old and has been nice and snug since day one.

As to the velcro spot, check the back of the yellow inside trunk release handle. You'll find that it has the male side of the velcro to match the spot. Simply press that part of the handle up there and, voila', mystery solved!
Old 5/7/07, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Chris. I thought the velcro was part of something else. The mating part from the emergency release must have fallen off. It's not there, but I can cut out a matching circle from some scrap velcro I have, and paste it on.

I'll pull the cover off and see if there is any place where it is not gripping.
Old 5/7/07, 08:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
Thanks Chris. I thought the velcro was part of something else. The mating part from the emergency release must have fallen off. It's not there, but I can cut out a matching circle from some scrap velcro I have, and paste it on.

I'll pull the cover off and see if there is any place where it is not gripping.
Good luck on checking out the cover! The mating part is not a separate velcro piece - it is actually molded into the plastic on the backside of the handle! If you feel the mid-part of the backside of the handle, it will feel rough and serrated -just push that part of the handle up on the fuzzy circle and it will hold on.
Old 5/8/07, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK Chris, so I didn't lose any velcro. I will pop the emergency handle back. About the loosness, I'll see what I can do. I have had the thing off and thought I put is back right, but is does move around.

Maybe it needs a rubber wedge somewhere in there or a little silicone adhesive.
Old 5/8/07, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eureka I figured it out. Nothing wrong with the cover, just with the owner. Either it was never installed right, or it might have gotten bumped (probably by me). But, now it fits like a glove.

There were two problems. First, one of the two metal clips that hold the thing in there had popped off its plastic mounting. It was stuck in the back of the trunk. I removed it and put it on where it belonged. Also, there is a horizontal plastic clip at the back of the cover that needs to grab a part of the trunk lid just behind the cover. With that on there I pushed the cover up and on. The clips held and it is nice and firm now. I even put the emergency handle back on its velcro.

Now if anybody complains that this is worthless without pics.....Too Bad. I ain't pulling it apart again to take pictures.
Old 5/8/07, 08:20 PM
Cobra R Member

I was thinking of removing that handle anyway, If I put them there why would I want them escaping
Old 5/8/07, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Funny Guy. Do you by chance have any relatives living in Nooowark, New Joisey? They have a habit of leaving rental cars in the JFK long term lot with extra baggage in the trunk they don't want escaping.
Old 5/10/07, 06:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Glad to hear you solved the cover issue!
Old 5/10/07, 09:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
Funny Guy. Do you by chance have any relatives living in Nooowark, New Joisey? They have a habit of leaving rental cars in the JFK long term lot with extra baggage in the trunk they don't want escaping.
I don't think its newark but yeah to nj and ny