2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

trunk ajar

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/05, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SC67Stang@July 8, 2005, 11:02 AM

I will try that and also try the trunk release when the car is in gear to see if it works.

It does work that way... I just stop the car and pop the trunk for the girls to get their school bags out. I never put it in to park.
Old 7/8/05, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That happened to our Lincoln a while back. The trunk ajar message kept coming on after we had it for about a year. The dealer had to adjust the trunk latch a few times and it hasn't happened again. I have no idea why that problem happened in the first place.
Old 7/8/05, 11:51 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

its not just the message the runk is actually opening
Old 7/9/05, 12:11 AM
FR500 Member

hasnt happened here
Old 10/25/05, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

its happened to me three seperate times.

When your driving it makes this odd beeping sound but usually no indicator lights once I shut the car off and turned it back on and the beeping sound went away.

The second time I caught a split second flash on the gauge cluster that showed the open doors icon but it comes on so fast and goes away that you can miss it. And the beeping is sort of random its not like the seat belt warning beep, its like totally random.

So that time I turned the car off opened each door and the trunk and closed them all securly and restarted the car and beep went away.

Then just last week it did it again, and this time I was driving over sort of a rough road and I noticed everytime I hit an expansion gap in the road it would beep, so I opened each door while driving and still the beep (see I suspected a bad door contact at first) then I kept driving and still I got the funky beep...

BUT this time I noticed that as I hit the bump my trunk bounced a little...so there you have it, the trunk sensor. Also should note that when I hit my trunk release button my trunk does not pop open, sure it unlatches but I have to kind of lift up on the trunk to open it.

And the night before I know my trunk was locked because I checked it

So maybe somehow when you unlock the car it could glitch and unlock the trunk as well. Or the release handle inside somehow disengages by itself.... who knows...

But if you have heard the crazy beeping you will understand how strange it is.
Old 10/25/05, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

rrobello, I posted a question about this same thing a few months ago and didn't get too many responses, but I have the same problem!!! My dad and I changed out my rear bumper to a GT bumper and I thought that we might have caused it, but I don't think it was at all. At first it would just do it every once and a while, but now it just stays on and the alarm beeps twice meaning a door is open. On further inspection I was looking at the trunk latch assembly on the lid and found the sensor that tells the car that the trunk is closed and pressed some on it and the trunk light would go off some times. I think there is something wrong with the sensor. I took the light out of the trunk till I get it fixed b/c it stays on if the car thinks the lid is open. Turns out that the light has stayed on so long that it has melted the plastic on part of the trunk light assembly. So I have defiantly got to get it fixed. Good to know I’m not the only one w/ this problem. Hahaha. Sorry it's so long! Thanks!

edit: ohhh yeah the rough road would cause my light to come on also before now when it just stays on
Old 11/29/05, 12:16 PM

The keyfob will release the trunk with the engine running and even when the vehicle is in gear until you reach about 3mph. Above that approximate speed the trunk release is inhibited.
Old 12/1/05, 04:30 AM

I have had my trunk pop open twice while driving I think its the same issue

Paul
Old 12/1/05, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

It happened once to me at a car wash. I think they accidentally hit the fob key.

Yes, it is an annoying sound. Not as bad as the seatbelt reminder. A friend of mine always forgets to buckle-up....now I say "You don't want to hear that NOISE again do you?"
Old 12/1/05, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Update: I went to the dealer twice and they fixed it. I'm not sure exactly what they replaced, but I haven't had a problem with it since.
Old 5/4/06, 09:55 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Hate to bring up an old thread, but since the topic has come up again in another thread, could you ask the dealer what they did?
Old 5/4/06, 10:09 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005MineralGT @ July 8, 2005, 8:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've had this happen a few times too, but I think it has been due to something else on my keychain hitting the release button on the keyfob. It has always happened within a mile after taking off, but usually within about a block. Also, the velcro thing for the emergency release handle is kind of cheesy and doesn't hold well.
[/b][/quote]

If you don't like the velcro circle then maybe put a little piece of electricians tape on the handle to hold it better. I think they made the velcro to handle attachment a light one on purpose. That way they won't get sued when some dumb idiot puts himself in the trunk and gets carbon monoxide poisoning cuz he can't get the handle off the darn velcro. LOL! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 8/8/06, 10:08 AM
GT Member

This has happened to me about 4 or 5 times recently.
The weird thing is, my '06 GT has over 17K miles on it, and this issue never happened until a few months ago.
I find it very hard to believe that now, all of a sudden, my knee (or some other item on my keychain) has developed an uncanny knack for engaging the trunk release button on my key FOB.
This is most assuredly a malfunction.

Looks like the last post was made in May.
Does anyone have any definitive information on this issue?
Old 8/8/06, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

i figured it was the bag in my trunk pulling the release handle as it doesnt take much force to relase with that pull cord. only happened once though
Old 8/9/06, 05:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happened to me the other day. Nothing in the trunk and nothing else on the keyring that might have pushed the button.
Old 8/10/06, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ive had it happen to me dont know if it was my knee or the rain. Im leaning towards the rain because it has only happened when its raining and hasnt happened since.
Old 8/14/06, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by rrobello
its not just the message the runk is actually opening
This happened to me 4 or 5 times. I found it was stuff in the trunk was pulling the emergency release. I also took the release handle and shoved it into the plastic latch cover as far as it would go. Hasn't happened since.
Old 8/14/06, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

The dealership replaced the sensor that tells the car if the trunk is open or not on mine and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 8/23/06, 01:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I only had it happen if I had a second set in my pocket and Mr woody decided to push some buttons or if I had a box or item of a hieght that could come in contact with the emergency glow in the dark pull handle in the trunk.
Old 9/18/06, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

My trunk won't pop open if the engine is running and I push the key fob. I have tried this several times as I forget to put something in the trunk after I started it up in the driveway. It is annoying but back to the loose nut behind the steering wheel excuse for me I guess.

Quick Reply: trunk ajar