2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Traded in the GT for a GT500 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/08, 06:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both cars are awesome!!! That must have been tough to get rid of your GT but the gt500 is well worth it...
Old 5/26/08, 07:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black GT500
You will say that right up until you drive a GT500...

Then you could NEVER say it again, not with a straight face anyway.
He has a good point...The GT is great but the GT500 is a whole other animal and has awesome potential. It's funny I have had several people tell me this weekend that they liked my GT that I had better that my new GT500. But like what was pointed out before...once you drive one you will see it in a very different way.

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Very nice combo. CONGRATS!!!

FYI: It can top 160 and vids can be posted on YouTube.

Remember to observe the posted speed.
At all times.

I always observe the posted speed limit (need to know how fast you should be going...lol)...thats why I got a GT500...

By the way...thanks all for the compliments
Old 5/26/08, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ain't that the truth.

There are not too many factory engines that you can bump up to over 700 horsepower without cracking a valve/cam cover.

[RANT ON]

I've yet to find anyone who has actually gotten to drive (Truly Drive) a gt500 that thinks it is over rated.

Every single time I hear someone complain about the price, suspension or whatever it's someone who has never driven one.

BANG for the BUCK, nothing on the planet comes close to comparing to the FACTORY warranted 500 horsepower GT500. The only guys arguing otherwise do not have one.

For less than what a comparable (500 factory Horsepower) 2008 Chevy 505-horsepower Z06 ($72,985~$82,000 MSRP) or the 2008 now 600-horsepower Viper SRT-10 ($85,985~$98,110 MSRP) costs I have my 2008 GT500 ($45,095 MSRP) and my Wife’s 2008 Bullitt ($32,165 MSRP) I paid $31,000.

Anyone building a comparable car out of a $30,000 Mustang GT faced with the cost of parts and labor, to change the engine, exhaust system, 6 speed transmission, brakes, wheels and tires, suspension, leather interior, seats, dash, steering wheel and all body parts will be well above the cost of buying a brand new GT500, and they still won’t have one.

I DID NOT buy my 2008 Shelby GT500 as a collection item, I bought it to DRIVE! I don’t give a rodent’s derriere about resale value. If I just wanted to look at something sitting in the garage I could have saved my money and bought a full sized poster of a cool car and hung it in the garage.

[/RANT OFF]

BTW:
I know you know this without me telling you, You made an EXCELLENT trade! Enjoy.

Originally Posted by itsmetoo
He has a good point...The GT is great but the GT500 is a whole other animal and has awesome potential. It's funny I have had several people tell me this weekend that they liked my GT that I had better that my new GT500. But like what was pointed out before...once you drive one you will see it in a very different way.

I always observe the posted speed limit (need to know how fast you should be going...lol)...thats why I got a GT500...

Old 5/26/08, 08:56 PM
GT Member

Your right it was an excellent trade. I couldn't be happier with it.

I am glad to hear someone else say..."I DID NOT buy my 2008 Shelby GT500 as a collection item, I bought it to DRIVE!" I could not agree more. I put 350 miles on mine just in the last 2 and a half days. The car is just soooooo much fun to drive. I cant wait to get a CAI and a tune for it.
Old 5/27/08, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nice car. I would have made that trade too. Is it an 07 or 08 Shelby? auto ar stick? demo or no miles? just curious at 2k over still a sweet deal!
Old 5/27/08, 05:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

All GT500's are 6 speed manual transmissions...

His posts say it is an 08, all GT500's are 6 speed manual transmissions...

Originally Posted by Indystang
Nice car. I would have made that trade too. Is it an 07 or 08 Shelby? auto ar stick? demo or no miles? just curious at 2k over still a sweet deal!
Old 5/27/08, 02:43 PM
GT Member

Am I the only one that thinks the trade in was pretty generous for 06 with 40 something miles?
Old 5/27/08, 02:44 PM
GT Member

Congrats My buddy did the same thing but he kept his Turbo GT as well. He loves his GT500 there awsome.
Old 5/27/08, 02:47 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
awesome buy! my favorite color combo too!
Old 5/27/08, 07:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Indystang
It's an 08, had 15 miles on it and it was kept on the showroom floor. Like stated above all GT500's are 6 speed manual transmissions.

Originally Posted by sp44
Am I the only one that thinks the trade in was pretty generous for 06 with 40 something miles?
I thought it was too thats why I did not mind paying $2000 over MSRP for the GT500 cause the trade in deal was exceptional. Although you have to consider all the mods I had in my GT. I know, I know you usually don't get much if anything back out of the mods you put in. Guess I got lucky.

I originally was there to get a car for my son and noticed that there was a GT500 there so I had to check it out. I went back a couple times just looking at various mustangs there. The last time I was there the sales manager asked me what it would take to get me to trade mine in. I told him MSRP for the GT500 and $23,000 trade in for mine,then we came to a reasonal agreement. I'll have to admit I was not expecting or planning to trade my GT in at that moment. Funny part is that I had purchased a carbon fiber dash kit for my GT that arrived by UPS today. Now I gotta sell it.
Old 5/28/08, 12:17 AM
GT Member

What's it like driving wise... comparing the two... I realize it's probably faster (I'm assuming your GT was N/A, not on the bottle), but what's it like taking off? Does it feel like a heavier car that struggles to get traction off the line (comparatively to the GT)? Does it pull hard til redline or feel like the midrange is where all the power's at? How's handling? Brakes?

Sorry to bug you with these questions, I'm just wondering... I'll probably never know what it feels like to drive one of those. haha.
Old 5/28/08, 02:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a 2008 GT500 and a 2008 Bullitt, I drive them both, and can and do compare them both on the same roads on the same day.

Attention adrenalin, this picture is NOT a SIGNATURE!
This thread and my post are now talking about comparing the two Mustangs I own, this is a picture of them.

The blower makes boost/power right off idle! It pulls hard, like plastered to your seat back hard from idle to red line.

The GT500 does not feel heavy, I repeat, IT DOES NOT FEEL HEAVY! The additional 185 horsepower and very broad torque curve more than make up for the 300 pounds.

The GT500 handles substantially better than a Mustang GT or the improved handling Mustang Bullitt.

Originally Posted by GOarmy08
What's it like driving wise... comparing the two... I realize it's probably faster (I'm assuming your GT was N/A, not on the bottle), but what's it like taking off? Does it feel like a heavier car that struggles to get traction off the line (comparatively to the GT)? Does it pull hard til redline or feel like the midrange is where all the power's at? How's handling? Brakes?

Sorry to bug you with these questions, I'm just wondering... I'll probably never know what it feels like to drive one of those. haha.
Old 5/28/08, 05:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, I guess I didnt know that all Shelbys were 6 speeds. I just checked EBay and saw several Shelby 500s selling for MSRP. Still a darn good tradethough. I have 40k on my 05 also
Old 5/28/08, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

lucky bastich.... sorry watched johnny dangerously yesterday.
Old 5/28/08, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tempting, I may have to visit some dealerships. I am thinking about going FI this summer or fall. Instead spendong 5-7k. I could put it towards a GT500 I have 14k on my 07 GT.
Old 5/28/08, 07:39 PM
GT Member

The blower makes boost/power right off idle! It pulls hard, like plastered to your seat back hard from idle to red line.

The GT500 does not feel heavy, I repeat, IT DOES NOT FEEL HEAVY! The additional 185 horsepower and very broad torque curve more than make up for the 300 pounds.

The GT500 handles substantially better than a Mustang GT or the improved handling Mustang Bullitt.
I would have to say that pretty much says it. Not to mention just adding a CAI and a tune gives you a pretty good power increase (so I hear). I will be finding out for sure in a week or two.

Originally Posted by Rapture
Tempting, I may have to visit some dealerships. I am thinking about going FI this summer or fall. Instead spendong 5-7k. I could put it towards a GT500 I have 14k on my 07 GT.
I was in the same situation about going FI. I am glad I got the GT500 instead of putting a supercharger on my previous GT. With the money I already had in the GT and the cost of a supercharger I would have been into it about $41,000. Just a few thousand more is the cost of a GT500 and I can say it is a much better car.
Old 5/28/08, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, the CAI and a tune can get you an additional 35~50 Horsepower!

If you want to step into the 600~750 Horsepower range, it's a simple blower swap a CAI and a tune away.

I would have to say that pretty much says it. Not to mention just adding a CAI and a tune gives you a pretty good power increase (so I hear). I will be finding out for sure in a week or two.

I was in the same situation about going FI. I am glad I got the GT500 instead of putting a supercharger on my previous GT. With the money I already had in the GT and the cost of a supercharger I would have been into it about $41,000. Just a few thousand more is the cost of a GT500 and I can say it is a much better car.
Old 5/28/08, 11:08 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
GT500's rule and anyone who doesn't think so can kiss my @ss!

I would buy one tomorrow at $2k over msrp on such a good trade if I didn't think I would be sleeping in it that night in someone elses driveway.
Old 5/29/08, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

That is so true. When the GT in my sig was totaled a few months ago, I was lucky enough to come across a GT500 that was also a black vert. I couldn't pass it up. Since then, everyone keeps telling me that they liked my old car better. Then I give them a ride in it and their opinion magically changes.
Old 5/29/08, 10:05 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually outperforming a stock gt500 is not that hard. As the video below explains.. This GT is only putin 370 at the wheels and its still close to the gt500's street performance ( not dyno numbers).. I would still take a gt500 over a gt any day because of its potential..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119426

Ain't that the truth.

There are not too many factory engines that you can bump up to over 700 horsepower without cracking a valve/cam cover.

[RANT ON]

I've yet to find anyone who has actually gotten to drive (Truly Drive) a gt500 that thinks it is over rated.

Every single time I hear someone complain about the price, suspension or whatever it's someone who has never driven one.

BANG for the BUCK, nothing on the planet comes close to comparing to the FACTORY warranted 500 horsepower GT500. The only guys arguing otherwise do not have one.

For less than what a comparable (500 factory Horsepower) 2008 Chevy 505-horsepower Z06 ($72,985~$82,000 MSRP) or the 2008 now 600-horsepower Viper SRT-10 ($85,985~$98,110 MSRP) costs I have my 2008 GT500 ($45,095 MSRP) and my Wife’s 2008 Bullitt ($32,165 MSRP) I paid $31,000.

Anyone building a comparable car out of a $30,000 Mustang GT faced with the cost of parts and labor, to change the engine, exhaust system, 6 speed transmission, brakes, wheels and tires, suspension, leather interior, seats, dash, steering wheel and all body parts will be well above the cost of buying a brand new GT500, and they still won’t have one.

I DID NOT buy my 2008 Shelby GT500 as a collection item, I bought it to DRIVE! I don’t give a rodent’s derriere about resale value. If I just wanted to look at something sitting in the garage I could have saved my money and bought a full sized poster of a cool car and hung it in the garage.

[/RANT OFF]

BTW:
I know you know this without me telling you, You made an EXCELLENT trade! Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Traded in the GT for a GT500 yesterday