2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Traction control on V-6

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/05, 07:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by KansasCityTim+May 5, 2005, 1:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KansasCityTim @ May 5, 2005, 1:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by AWmustang@May 5, 2005, 7:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine
@May 5, 2005, 5:18 AM
I could definitely see it on a stick...

Can anyone tell me why on a right turn I can lay rubber forever but on straight take offs and left turns its very hard to do?

I have heard other people complain about something similar. They say that when they are doing a burnout in the V6 only the right tire ever spins. My guess would be the the differential slightly favors the right wheel. When you make a right turn the weight of the car is transferring to the left side of the car. Less weight = less traction = spinning tire. And once its spinning the diff will keep senging power to it, which is why you can keep laying rubber even after you have straightened out.
I was under the impression that with a non-posi differential, the right, rear wheels gets the power, meaning that on a burn-out, the only thing that would ever spin is the right, rear tire. V6's don't have posi do they?
[/b][/quote]

If that were true it wouldn't need a differential at all, it could just use gears and send the power to the right tire. The reason for a differential is so that you can send power to 2 wheels but have them turn at different speeds around corners.

It appears that this differential favors the right tire, but there is power going to the other wheel.
Old 5/6/05, 07:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard of favoring, it should give power to the wheel with the most traction at any moment, and allow the outer wheel to turn faster that the inner at a turn.
Unless you just happen to coincedently always have the right tire on a grippier surface relative to that on the left?
I have no TCS as well, but I have yet to break the tires loose, so really I don't know how it is on this car. Car drives perfect, I can't tell so far.
Old 5/6/05, 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
THE POST WITH ALL THE ANSWERS ...

The reason the right rear tire spins is due to the rotational torque of the engine. This rotational torque puts an imbalance on the vehicle's chassis putting more of the car's weight on the LEFT rear tire. With less weight on the RIGHT tire, it will spin when the torque overcomes the traction available. By the way, this is the same on ALL rear wheel drive vehicles with open differentials (not just V6 Mustangs). If the engine turned the other way, the left rear tire would spin.

The reason it is so easy to spin the tire on a RIGHT turn, is the turn tranfers even more of the car's weight onto the LEFT side.

The reason it is harder to spin a tire on a left turn is you are tranfering weight back to the RIGHT rear tire while turning ... I.E. turning weight tranfer to right is canceling out the engine torque weight tranfer to left.

V6 Mustangs have always had an OPEN differential, which works exactly as stated above.

A Posi (GM T.M.) or Traction-Lok (Ford T.M.) differential is a "Limited-Slip" type differential. These differentials have a set of clutches with spring tension on them that tie the two wheels together. When turning, the clutches slip allowing the wheels to turn at different speeds.

With 210 HP and skinny factory tires, the 2005 V6 Mustang (Auto or Manual) needs help bad in the traction department !! Ford's "factory" solution is Traction Control, which works very well in eliminating the anoying "one-wheel-peel". In a race, a non-T/C equipped V6 Mustang would have no chance against the same Mustang with T/C ... to win, you must eliminate wheel spin and no driver can do this better than the Traction Control computer. Put a Traction-Lok differential in the non-T/C car and it would easily win with double the available traction. Traction-Lok in BOTH cars would be a close race.

Doug
Old 5/6/05, 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by orange3.9stang@May 6, 2005, 8:39 AM
THE POST WITH ALL THE ANSWERS ...

The reason the right rear tire spins is due to the rotational torque of the engine. This rotational torque puts an imbalance on the vehicle's chassis putting more of the car's weight on the LEFT rear tire. With less weight on the RIGHT tire, it will spin when the torque overcomes the traction available. By the way, this is the same on ALL rear wheel drive vehicles with open differentials (not just V6 Mustangs). If the engine turned the other way, the left rear tire would spin.

The reason it is so easy to spin the tire on a RIGHT turn, is the turn tranfers even more of the car's weight onto the LEFT side.

The reason it is harder to spin a tire on a left turn is you are tranfering weight back to the RIGHT rear tire while turning ... I.E. turning weight tranfer to right is canceling out the engine torque weight tranfer to left.

V6 Mustangs have always had an OPEN differential, which works exactly as stated above.

A Posi (GM T.M.) or Traction-Lok (Ford T.M.) differential is a "Limited-Slip" type differential. These differentials have a set of clutches with spring tension on them that tie the two wheels together. When turning, the clutches slip allowing the wheels to turn at different speeds.

With 210 HP and skinny factory tires, the 2005 V6 Mustang (Auto or Manual) needs help bad in the traction department !! Ford's "factory" solution is Traction Control, which works very well in eliminating the anoying "one-wheel-peel". In a race, a non-T/C equipped V6 Mustang would have no chance against the same Mustang with T/C ... to win, you must eliminate wheel spin and no driver can do this better than the Traction Control computer. Put a Traction-Lok differential in the non-T/C car and it would easily win with double the available traction. Traction-Lok in BOTH cars would be a close race.

Doug

You know what... as soon as I read that rotation of the engine part, it clicked in my head. I KNEW there was a reason the right wheel was favored. Thank you for the excellent explanation.
Old 5/7/05, 02:08 PM
V6 Member

My aunt has a V6 w/ TCS. She lives in rural Indiana where the winter is rough. She said the '05 w/ TCS handled wonderfully in the snow, and she didn't have any problems. She said with TCS off, she could barely move out of the driveway.

In her opinion, it's a must-have.

I am not worried about TCS, since I live in an environment free of snow, and very little rain. The 4 wheel ABS would be nice though.

joe
Old 5/7/05, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

come take mine out of my GT i cant stand it
Old 5/14/05, 08:15 AM
V6 Member

Thanks to all that responder to my question about TC and Anti lock brakes. I understand that in Atlanta I will rarely need TC, but in the traffic I drive in, Anti lock brakes are a GOOD thing. Since you can not get one without the other, I ordered it with the package. I can not stand the idea of turning it off every time I get in the car. I want it to work as it should and what I paid for. I understand that sometimes we have to adapt, but in my case, when I get off the expressway and the car falls on it's face. That is just not acceptable. We will see what the dealer says......bet that will be fun. And I will let you know if there are any answers. Thanks guys,,,and gals
Mark
Old 5/14/05, 02:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My '04 is my 3rd SN-95 Mustang ... had a '94 & '98 before it, all 3 have been V6 5-Speeds and all have been WITHOUT ABS (and T-C which was available for the '04). These cars have been year-round daily drivers and I do regularly drive in ice & snow in the winter but also have the proper tires (see sig.).

Between these 3 cars I have driven almost 250,000 miles (thru Milwaukee and in and around Chicago every week), and can say that I have NEVER wished I had ABS !!

A decent set of "high-performance" or "ultra-high-performance" all-season tires that are properly maintained can be as effective as ABS with the touring tires that come std. on V6 Mustangs. Giving your driving the 100% attention it deserves will also be more affective than not and thinking that ABS is going to save you in daily panic stops !!

ABS & TC also equal more electronic troubles in the future. The guy that bought my 6 year old '98 with 131k miles on it was VERY relieved to hear that it DID NOT have ABS !!

IMO these cars already have way too much electronic junk on them ... us V6'ers are lucky that ABS & T-C are not yet standard as it is on the GT.

The $700 ABS/T-C cost adder can be better spent on a decent set of Tires, Traction-Lok, and maybe a few other minor mods. I exchanged my tires before I had even had 100 miles on the car ... since they were basically new, they treated them as Take-Offs and I got a decent credit for them.

Doug