2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Traction control on V-6

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/05, 03:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is traction control needed on V-6? It seems that not to many V-6's have that option.
Old 5/4/05, 03:24 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Don't have it.
Haven't missed it.
Like it that way....
I also do not have ABS.
Makes navigation on wet roads and gravel a challenge- albeit a fun one.
Old 5/4/05, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I need it for the northern Ohio winters.. Winter stinks :angry: :notnice:
Old 5/4/05, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

It's not needed unless you drive in the snow. Or you could get a limited slip differential.
Old 5/4/05, 03:28 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Until I learned to handle her which took about a week of heavy driving in the rains that arrived when she came home.....I was fishtailing all over when I stopped and started.

NOW my favorite thing to do is jump the railroad tracks- the car hits them just right you feel like one of the Duke boys.
Old 5/4/05, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

If you do get it you have the option to turn it off by a push of a button on the dash which is good for when I want to lay some rubber.
Old 5/4/05, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe not in Nashville, but in snow belt YES!
Old 5/4/05, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

The traction controll comes as part of the package with anti lock brakes. I live in Atlanta and drive in traffic, so I ordered this package. I hope to never need either, but the anti lock brakes was something that I felt I would like to have. It also is a discount on your insurance. That may not pay for it, but it helps. Mark
Old 5/4/05, 07:49 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Ahhh insurance!

I do love the way mine brakes though. Fun Fun!

I get to enjoy it 4 days a week when my kids aren't in with me. On the weekends I drive like Granny.
Old 5/4/05, 09:08 PM
GT Member

I have the twin to Sonic Blue's Stang in Ohio, and I have T/C. I have it on all the time, cause with my right foot I would go through tires like water. It is fun to take it off every so often to shake and bake! It has kicked on a few times in the rain.

I would say if you are getting a stick, yes.
On an automatic, not sure if it's needed, unless where you are has bad weather year 'round like Ohio.
Old 5/5/05, 05:15 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I could definitely see it on a stick...

Can anyone tell me why on a right turn I can lay rubber forever but on straight take offs and left turns its very hard to do?
Old 5/5/05, 06:58 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have already used the TCS and performed very well, kept the rear of the car where I wanted it.
Old 5/5/05, 07:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@May 5, 2005, 5:18 AM

Can anyone tell me why on a right turn I can lay rubber forever but on straight take offs and left turns its very hard to do?

I have heard other people complain about something similar. They say that when they are doing a burnout in the V6 only the right tire ever spins. My guess would be the the differential slightly favors the right wheel. When you make a right turn the weight of the car is transferring to the left side of the car. Less weight = less traction = spinning tire. And once its spinning the diff will keep senging power to it, which is why you can keep laying rubber even after you have straightened out.
Old 5/5/05, 07:39 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Not that I should be burning rubber But I like to play.....
Old 5/5/05, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The need for traction control depends where you live. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, we have snow from October 31 to usually mid April. Along with ice, freezing rain etc. TC is need here on a mustang.
Old 5/5/05, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know out here in the northwest it rains regularly from October through about June. We are also starting to see freezing rain as a typical part of our winters. So I got the Anti-Lock/TCS package for my V6 Pony.

As far as burnouts on a V6 I've seen a couple vids of some really good burnouts. It can be done I guess it just takes a little practice.
Old 5/5/05, 10:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno about TCS, but I'd highly recommend to everyone to get ABS. If TCS bugs you, you can turn it off.
Old 5/5/05, 12:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Shutter866@May 4, 2005, 5:25 PM
Is traction control needed on V-6? It seems that not to many V-6's have that option.
Living in the Northeast and having a long commute, I was almost ready to give up on Mustangs because to say that they're bad in the snow is a massive understatement. Even including the wicked restyling for 2005, I probably would not have bought another Mustang without traction control.

In your area however, it might not be an issue!
Old 5/5/05, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I've been in Nashville in both heavy traffic and heavy rain. Given the way some of the semis drive out their, I'd go for it.

I did order for mine because my environment does include bad traffic, insane drivers, and quick bouts of heavy rain.
Old 5/5/05, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by AWmustang+May 5, 2005, 7:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ May 5, 2005, 7:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine@May 5, 2005, 5:18 AM

I have heard other people complain about something similar. They say that when they are doing a burnout in the V6 only the right tire ever spins. My guess would be the the differential slightly favors the right wheel. When you make a right turn the weight of the car is transferring to the left side of the car. Less weight = less traction = spinning tire. And once its spinning the diff will keep senging power to it, which is why you can keep laying rubber even after you have straightened out.
[/b][/quote]

I was under the impression that with a non-posi differential, the right, rear wheels gets the power, meaning that on a burn-out, the only thing that would ever spin is the right, rear tire. V6's don't have posi do they?

Quick Reply: Traction control on V-6