2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

top slashed - aftermarket roof?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/07, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation aha!

ok this was driving me absolutely insane and i finally found another similar vert to compare it to. the reason the seam looks different is because it IS different.

hard to explain, but on every other mustang vert on the dealer lot, if you were to run your hand along the top from the driver side towards the passenger side, when you hit the seam your hand would run right over it because the material is overlaid from the outside towards the inside. this makes the seam less visible.

on my top, the material is sewn together with the seam facing the doors. meaning if you ran your hand from the door inwards, you would hit the seam. it really does make the seam a lot more visible. at least to someone owning the car less than a year.

its not really that big of a deal, except i'm pretty sure that means its not an oem roof, unless they somehow make them two different ways at different locations or something.

sigh.

another thing i noticed today, is that if you are outside the car and lean over to talk to someone inside, the inner lining hangs down so much you can actually see inbetween the lining and the roof... large enough gap you could pull it down and probably stick your arm inbetween easily. looks to me like the reason is that the elastic band that holds it to the roof is very loose compared to the cars on the lot.

anyway, already scheduled to go back to the shop on tuesday. pretty sure they are going to think i'm crazy if i try and explain the roof seam thing.

Here's a link to a few quick photos comparing my car to a car on the lot.
http://web.mac.com/raia/Site/Mustang...omparison.html
Old 9/3/07, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The seams on my '07 cloth roof face in towards the center of the roof like the dealer lot pictures you posted. The top is available as an entire assembly with the frame, top material, and headliner installed from the vendor. From what I can tell, they simply need to disconnect a few switch and electrical wires, remove six bolts per side, compress and remove the old assembly, and then drop in the new top and reconnect everything.