2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Today is Job 1!

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/04, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have waited 3 years for this car !!! Mine has already been ordered... The dealership said it should be built today.. I can't wait to see my Screaming Yellow Baby !!!!!!! I'm so excited !!!!!!!!!
Old 9/7/04, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Treadhead@September 7, 2004, 8:19 PM
Still no air freshener/air stinker(depends on which one I get) and no prices or nothing about Job 1. Looks like we got 20 more days,,,, Yippee! Atleast we know they are building them now. I can't wait to see one on the lot.
What's so special about the 27th?
Old 9/7/04, 09:32 PM
GT Member

Got my air freshner too... mine's cinnamon as well. I thought it would be that "new car smell"
Old 9/7/04, 09:43 PM

I waited for some info from ford, and all I got was this lousy air freshener.
Old 9/7/04, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by derynf+September 7, 2004, 9:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (derynf @ September 7, 2004, 9:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Treadhead@September 7, 2004, 8:19 PM
Still no air freshener/air stinker(depends on which one I get) and no prices or nothing about Job 1. Looks like we got 20 more days,,,, Yippee! Atleast we know they are building them now. I can't wait to see one on the lot.
What's so special about the 27th? [/b][/quote]
The Mustang launch party that Brad's going to.
Old 9/7/04, 11:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Such a funny thread to read all the way through after the fact. It was like the anticipation when your sports team goes to the championship game and then chokes big-time! Now everyone's cyber-hung-over and going through withdrawls or something.

Maybe Ford doesn't monitor this site afterall, Brad. If they did, they would have sent a PR photographer out to the line just to satisfy those who spent all day here waiting breathlessly.

Old 9/8/04, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by V10@September 7, 2004, 5:46 PM
No and no you don't have to know the price to order one. You agree with the dealer that you will pay X $ under MSRP or y $ over invoice when you place your order. When a dealer orders ANY car from FoMoCo they do not know the actual price until the car is built, shipped and the dealer receives the invoice from Ford.
I didn't agree to any #s... but I got an "estimate" of 26000.. So I'm going to use that as my baseline vs invoice. As long as he's making a profit he shouldn't have anything to complain about.
Old 9/8/04, 12:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Everybody!! Well, it was kinda anti-climatic to say the least. I went into work this evening expecting to hear something about Job 1 also and...nothing. Yes we are building them but not at full-production . Yes, the first official production car was a Torch Red GT, but there was also one of every color behind it (first ten or so GT's, then came the sixes) and the colors repeated several times. The bad news is, days worked 10 hrs and only built 350 cars(mustangs and mazdas) and nites(my shift) stopped working after about 5 hrs(less than 200 cars). We are experiencing parts shortages and breakdowns, but if you weigh all of the facts together, we really are doing great at AAI. Considering the facts that we are building both a fwd car and a new rwd car, completely doubled our workforce over the summer, did a model year change on the mazda all while continuing to build cars(except for the usual summer shutdown) we(the workforce) are doing our best to get the Mustangs out the door. I heard that we are trying for the 23rd as the actual ship date. That means, we will, hopefully, be able to start shipping Mustangs then if all goes well. Don't shoot the messenger!!!PLEASE!! B)
Old 9/8/04, 01:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Nice info john..thanks

So how does the production line work? Do all workers build both mazda and mustang,or is a workers job on the line, car specific? Also would love to hear about how mustangs are built,how they go down the line,and what steps are followed in order.Things like how long a car is at your station etc would be cool to know... :-)
Old 9/8/04, 02:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@September 8, 2004, 3:02 AM
So I hear alot of people saying Torch Red is the first colour being rolled off the line. Any idea when Sonic Blue's are being made?

By the way........
Assembly doesn't work this way. It's not like red cars only the one day and blue ones only the next. They are in mixed order.
Old 9/8/04, 06:14 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info 2MustangJohn!

I don't think that most people really understand how the assembly line works. It is not a completely sequential line. There are essentially smaller specialized lines that feed the main assembly line. There is the Body Shop where the unibodies are put together and then sent to the paint shop. After painting is when the "real" serial assembly line begins. They can put cars out of the paint shop in any order on the main final assembly line. The driveline is also put together on a separate mini-line and then mated in to the unibody on the main line.

The modern hiney'y line is pretty flexible. I've been to the Wixom plant and seen them assembling Lincoln LSs, Continentals and Town cars all mixed into the same line. The Continental is gone but the T-Bird is now on the main line mixed in with the LSs and TCs. Pretty amazing.

Although you're having start up issues, John, look at the bright side. Even with ALL the problems, yesterday, between the 2 shifts, you and your co-workers built MORE 2005 Mustangs in that one day than have been build in the last 9 months! :worship: :worship: :worship:
Old 9/8/04, 06:19 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By the way Brad, TIME TO CAN YOUR FILTER!

It filtered out the standard accepted abreviation for "assembly" and replaced it with "hiny'y".
:bang: :notnice: :notnice: :nono: :bang:
Old 9/8/04, 08:34 AM

All I can say is I am itchin like a poison ivy victim without calamine lotion to see some pix of the muctangs comin off the line at the factory, to say nothing of my anticipation of seein one up close. Ah well, I have waited this long, I can wait a bit longer. And brad, for gettin invited on the 26th, all I can say is... :worship:
Old 9/8/04, 10:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanx V10,for helping explain the assembly process better for those who've never seen one in action before. I've only been an autoworker for three years and most of those was on the antiquated line at St. Louis. here at AAI its truly an amazing thing to watch those cars being made, from raw, bare, flat steel to those wonderful, sweet ponycars we so love!!! Yes, we even stamp our own parts here at AAI! I'm not that lucky to work in stamping :crazy:, (no senoirity) so I'm stuck on line 7 in final where I deck the rear axles and also install the left strut (2 diff. jobs). I really do love my jobs, ' cause I get to see more of the complete cars than others do(paint, bodyshop, and stamping). I read a diff. thread here over the weekend about orange peel, and was noticing that yesterday, guys, if you want a showcar, you're gonna need to have a friend with a paint shop. The orange peel is there, not extremely bad, but its is there and allover the car. :shock: If you knew me, you'd know I'm not that worried about how a car looks, I just want it to run like heck, but I think that I'm gonna wait another year for my new Mustang (other reasons than orange peel such as A-plan). Anyways, i'm gonna take the cam in tonite so I can get some pics from the parking lot of the cars we've gotten out the door hope I don't get canned for it!!
Old 9/8/04, 10:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Oh yea, btw, there were some cars with window stickers in them, but I don't think you'll like what they said. NOTHING!~!! No prices at least, they are keeping that info from us too.!!! :bang: :bang:
Old 9/8/04, 10:46 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Thanks for the info MustangJohn. It is Greatly appreciated.
Old 9/8/04, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Exactly what is Orage peel? Is that like watermarks?
Old 9/8/04, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

BTW, Thanks for the info John..
Old 9/8/04, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Bookman@September 8, 2004, 10:52 AM
Exactly what is Orage peel? Is that like watermarks?
After you paint something (ie a car). Look at the finish. Before you do a final wet sanding. The paint finish has the appearance of an "Orange Peel" - bumpy. Hence the name.
Old 9/8/04, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

They also use orange peel as texture on walls before painting.

EDIT: sometimes

Quick Reply: Today is Job 1!