2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/13 | 09:32 AM

Tires

What brand and size are you guys running on 05-09 GT's? We currently have 235/50-18 Dunlop Sport Maxx. Considering Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric or Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position next and going to 255/45-18 on the next set. Would love some feedback from you guys. Thanks in advance.
Old 6/30/13 | 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Conti DW See the tire thread.... It's a sticky.
Old 7/1/13 | 08:14 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

https://themustangsource.com/f657/mu...sticky-517216/

Two of my posts. Tires in your size. I feel exactly the same way as when I originally posted:

Just bought a set (around Xmas 2012) of the Goodyear Eagle GT for my GT/CS in the original stock size of 235/50ZR18 with a speed rating of 97W. The label indicates it as a 'High Performance All Season' radial. They replaced the BFG originals which weren't too bad.
I am extremely impressed with the performance in the rain. The grip is outstanding and comparable to the Goodyear GS-D3 I have on my Trans Am. I know it is early in the game for these new tires but all my experiences with Goodyear have been very positive.
** UPDATE: Just returned home from a 5,600 miles trip to the southwestern US. These tires exceeded every expectation. A horrible rainstorm was encountered for hours in AL and MS on the way out and the traction was superb with no hydroplaning at highway speeds. Complete confidence! The handling on a very twisty section of Rte 66 in AZ was also excellent. The beading is also not an issue (like the original BFG) as there was no air loss whatsoever. The tread wear appears to be very good and the mostly highway miles were very comfortable. I realize these are expensive tires but I highly recommend them for those seeking quality.

Last edited by NC14GT; 7/1/13 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 7/1/13 | 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
https://themustangsource.com/f657/mu...sticky-517216/

Two of my posts. Tires in your size. I feel exactly the same way as when I originally posted:

Just bought a set (around Xmas 2012) of the Goodyear Eagle GT for my GT/CS in the original stock size of 235/50ZR18 with a speed rating of 97W. The label indicates it as a 'High Performance All Season' radial. They replaced the BFG originals which weren't too bad.
I am extremely impressed with the performance in the rain. The grip is outstanding and comparable to the Goodyear GS-D3 I have on my Trans Am. I know it is early in the game for these new tires but all my experiences with Goodyear have been very positive.
** UPDATE: Just returned home from a 5,600 miles trip to the southwestern US. These tires exceeded every expectation. A horrible rainstorm was encountered for hours in AL and MS on the way out and the traction was superb with no hydroplaning at highway speeds. Complete confidence! The handling on a very twisty section of Rte 66 in AZ was also excellent. The beading is also not an issue (like the original BFG) as there was no air loss whatsoever. The tread wear appears to be very good and the mostly highway miles were very comfortable. I realize these are expensive tires but I highly recommend them for those seeking quality.
I have the same pair only lasted me 7 months about 8k miles on them there straight bald now. And there definitely not all season lol a 2 inch snowfall was like trying to run on ice (horrible) Im not buying them again that's for sure I think there's better tires for the money. Just my two cents.
Old 7/1/13 | 11:05 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Michelin has a new all-season tire out, the Pilot A/S 3

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details

I wish I could tell you first hand but I've got to wait till the parental unit wears the tires out on the mom-mobile. Right now she has the Pilot A/S and they are wearing pretty good and when they go I'll be upgrading the tires to the A/S 3s

I got a chance to talk to the SE VA Michelin tire rep awhile back and she was really excited about the A/S 3 and couldn't wait for the A/S to be replaced, probably from a customer satisfaction/warranty standpoint. The design of that tire really gave Michelin a headache. The A/S wore pretty quick in the middle and your average ******* tire tech or mechanic (even dumber when it comes to tires) would mistake some outside tread wear appearance with the tire delaminating.

Anyways, the three sets of tires I've run on the GT500 have been the OE Goodyear F1 supercar tires (sucked), BF Goodrich KDWS (good), and Nitto 555 (okay). When I get around to it, I'm going with 19's and Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I've heard nothing but good things about this tire.

Last edited by bob; 7/1/13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 7/4/13 | 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Tires

My '06 GT has 18" Fanblade wheels. I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Best tire I have ever driven on.
Old 7/4/13 | 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Pilot Super Sports!!!

Old 7/5/13 | 06:37 AM

Agree. Michelin makes excellent tires (had them on another car) but many here can't afford them, just like the Goodyears, so expect some bashing for them (as seen in another post earlier) and promotion for the 'el cheapo' brands is common. It isn't just here on this Mustang site but on every car site in the internet world.
With tires, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR."
Old 7/5/13 | 07:10 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Wades GT
Pilot Super Sports!!!

Nice!
Old 7/5/13 | 07:38 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Agree. Michelin makes excellent tires (had them on another car) but many here can't afford them, just like the Goodyears, so expect some bashing for them (as seen in another post earlier) and promotion for the 'el cheapo' brands is common. It isn't just here on this Mustang site but on every car site in the internet world.
With tires, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR."
You're exactly right. And Michelin makes the best tires. I've found a few that are close and a little more affordable but haven't found any to beat a Michelin. You're gonna have to pay for quality tires.
Old 7/6/13 | 07:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You're exactly right. And Michelin makes the best tires. I've found a few that are close and a little more affordable but haven't found any to beat a Michelin. You're gonna have to pay for quality tires.
Ditto. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S all-seasons I had on my car were the best all-season tire I've ever had on any car I've ever had. They let me get away with so much in rain and snow (light snow--c'mon it's still a Mustang). Not just in grip but predictability too --can't say that for the Kumho's I used to have. Quiet and comfortable too. They just wore down a little too fast. I put them on in '09 and only used them Oct - April
Old 7/10/13 | 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

In the past, on several CVPIs I had as "work" cars involving cruise, acceleration, hard braking and cornering, bootlegs, violator stops from triple digits, and some long high speed runs .... I got 15-20K out of a Goodyear Eagle RS-A tire if I didn't replace it sooner due to puncture, but I never had one fail and handling was always predictable and the tire comfortable and I developed a trust for them. The rubber is some soft, they do wear faster than some others, but they also work well in wet and light snow.

So on my two Thunderbirds and the Mercury GM I run Goodyear Eagle RS-A in 225/60-16 and at "normal" speeds and conditions, I get nearer 30K and great traction in a cool running tire that is comfortable.

I have decent tires on my 2008 Mustang GT already, they are originals still .... but I have a stack of new Goodyear Eagle RS-As in size 235/55-17 ready for it, I expect them to serve as well on the Mustang.
Old 7/11/13 | 06:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
Old 7/11/13 | 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by tbear853
In the past, on several CVPIs I had as "work" cars involving cruise, acceleration, hard braking and cornering, bootlegs, violator stops from triple digits, and some long high speed runs .... I got 15-20K out of a Goodyear Eagle RS-A tire if I didn't replace it sooner due to puncture, but I never had one fail and handling was always predictable and the tire comfortable and I developed a trust for them. The rubber is some soft, they do wear faster than some others, but they also work well in wet and light snow.

So on my two Thunderbirds and the Mercury GM I run Goodyear Eagle RS-A in 225/60-16 and at "normal" speeds and conditions, I get nearer 30K and great traction in a cool running tire that is comfortable.

I have decent tires on my 2008 Mustang GT already, they are originals still .... but I have a stack of new Goodyear Eagle RS-As in size 235/55-17 ready for it, I expect them to serve as well on the Mustang.
Nice to hear from another Goodyear man.
This is going to be hard to believe but I have over 20,000 miles on my Goodyear GS-D3 on my T/A with many miles left! Probably 10,000 more. I never expected this sort of tread life on such a soft compound. It just shows that if you don't 'floor it' 24/7 you can get good life out of them.