2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Tire Pressure Monitoring System bands & sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/08, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Pressure Monitoring System bands & sensors?

Guys i have an 08 and want to change wheels. What do you guys do about the TPMS? Do you just go with out or buy new bands/sensors?
Old 9/12/08, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take the old sensors from your wheels out, then buy new bands for the new wheels.
Old 9/12/08, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

buy the bands from american muscle for $17 each. My tire shop charged $7.50 per wheel labor for the swap, you may be able to get that for free if you buy the tires from them.
Old 9/12/08, 06:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought new bands from American Muscle, tire shop didn't charge me to move them over to the new wheels.
Old 9/12/08, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Guys i have an 08 and want to change wheels. What do you guys do about the TPMS? Do you just go with out or buy new bands/sensors?
I bought some 20" rims on sale a while back for my GT on order (still waiting, waiting). Talked to Discount Tire, they wanted $100 plus per wheel to install all new bands and TPMS. Tire Rack's about the same for a new setup. So, bought the bands from American Muscle and some TPMS take-offs on Ebay for about $50 for all four (FORD OEM PART NUMBER# 6F2Z-1A189-A) and will buy tires and have the install done @ Discount this week. Cheapest way I found. Hopefully all will work.
Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140259174717
from seller asmarie, they also have bands but more expensive than American Muscle.

I plan on selling the 18" bullit wheels (w/ TPMS!) either on here or on Craigslist once the car gets here (waiting, waiting).
Old 9/12/08, 09:55 PM
Cobra Member

You could always buy some ebay sensors and have them installed. If the shop wants a lot of money for programming them you can buy a ford programmer for the F150 (about $15) and program them yourself. This would also allow you to switch back to your old wheels if needed.
Old 9/28/08, 11:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

So, anyone have any further info on how the swap went or anything?
Old 9/28/08, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I did not replace my bands. My dash light has appeared a handfull of times so far, and I swapped tires in July. I wondered why we need the the bands, dont adults who drive any vehicle take a quick note of the tire pressure anyway. I can understand the needed for the tire sensors if you drive long hual, or a cab driver.
Old 9/28/08, 05:47 PM

You guys are lucky in the States,it costs me just over $500.00 to swap the sensors with the new bands up in Canada,for 18" wheels.Anyways do it right and put the sensors back in saves you alot trouble down the road.
Old 9/28/08, 05:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cheekie
I did not replace my bands. My dash light has appeared a handfull of times so far, and I swapped tires in July. I wondered why we need the the bands, dont adults who drive any vehicle take a quick note of the tire pressure anyway. I can understand the needed for the tire sensors if you drive long hual, or a cab driver.
It's helpful if you have a slow leak inwhich you might have just ran over something while driving. You wouldn't know until its to late at times. Could save your wheel.
Old 9/28/08, 06:08 PM
GT Member

i bought 20 inch foose nitrous's, new bands from american muscle, ebay takeoff's for about $50, and the reprogrammer for $15. if you live in a snowy area its alot easier and will be cheaper in the long run to switch and program your self rather than having to have 8 tires removed, sensors swapped, and tires remounted every year.

instructions for reprogramming copied from member powermod from another forum:

Here is the very simple procedure for training TPMS sensors using this tool or equivalent(aka "resetting the tire light", etc.):

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.
Old 9/28/08, 06:10 PM
GT Member

i also have the tpms install pdf's from motorcraft if needed
Old 9/29/08, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

That's a handy post first time I've seen that, not getting wheels now but plan in it in the summer and want to keep the stockers for winter so I'd have to get new sensors. Thanks for the info!