2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Tire pressure monitor

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/04, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that the message center monitors tire pressure.

How is this possible?
Old 7/9/04, 10:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

I didn't notice the mustang message center monitoring tire pressure. Where did you see that? But on other cars a sensor in the rim monitors air pressure like oil pressure or fuel. Some can even inflate or deflate on the fly. Useally 4x4's.
Old 7/9/04, 10:19 PM
Cobra Member

Sensors in the rims? Other cars such as BMWs and MBs have 'em
Old 7/9/04, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Greywolf@July 9, 2004, 9:07 PM
I didn't notice the mustang message center monitoring tire pressure. Where did you see that? But on other cars a sensor in the rim monitors air pressure like oil pressure or fuel. Some can even inflate or deflate on the fly. Useally 4x4's.
I've searched for it, but I can't find the pic someone took.
It shows tire pressure monitoring.
Old 7/10/04, 12:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive seen it. There are two ways that Ford does this. On Freestar, and most likely most models in the next few years, the ABS computer notes a tire turning slower then the others and trips the system. The message center or idiot light on these does not specify which tire.

The more advanced system on Explorer and Expedition has valve stems with pressure sensors in them(check one out in a parking lot, they are metal stems), they will actually relay which tire is low. On base model Exped and Explorers WITHOUT the message center, it only indicates a tire is low, but not which one.
Old 7/10/04, 12:04 AM
Cobra Member

Heres the pic from dustin

Look at what the display says

Old 7/10/04, 05:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

it says 'tire pressure monitor fault'. that means the car's computer is capable of monitoring tire pressure, but the feature hasn't been implemented
Old 7/10/04, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Do you know this or are you guessing?

I find it hard to believe that they would have put that in, even if it wasn't implemented.
Old 7/10/04, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Wombert@July 10, 2004, 11:27 AM
it says 'tire pressure monitor fault'. that means the car's computer is capable of monitoring tire pressure, but the feature hasn't been implemented
How do you know the feature isnt implemented? why couldn't they have been working on it on the day the photographer happened to come in and snap pictures? Maybe the feature is quite implemented, but since the car is not yet out, they were still working out the kinks. Perhaps, even, fault means there is a malfunction with the implemented monitor. :bang:
Old 7/10/04, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Seems like I heard somewhere that tire pressure monitoring is going to be come a legal requirement in the next couple of years, so all new cars will have it. Not a surprise that the Mustang would have it, IMHO -- I see a lot of new cars, even econoboxes, that have it on all their models.

Dave
Old 7/10/04, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

kevinb120 is right .. here is an excerpt from the Jeep Grand Cherokee's sensors:

The Tire Pressure Monitor System is a safety and convenience feature that was introduced at the start of the 2002 model year. It was offered as an option on all WJ models except the Laredo Sport. Each of the vehicle's wheels have a valve stem with a pressure sensor and radio transmitter built in. Signals from the tire pressure sensors are received and interpreted by the EVIC. A sensor in a mounted wheel will broadcast its detected pressure once per minute when the vehicle is moving faster than 25 mph. The spare tire sensor (if equipped) will broadcast once every hour. Each sensor's broadcast is uniquely coded so that the EVIC can determine location.

The system is capable of displaying actual tire pressure levels for all four tires and the spare, is accurate to within +/- 1 PSI under all conditions, unaffected by uneven loading or trailering, unaffected by slippery road conditions, and is able to monitor tire pressure while the vehicle is at rest. Each tire transmitter is battery powered. The battery life is projected to last 7-10 years under normal operating conditions.

The system identifies the location of the four mounted tires by way of a simple initial training process. The EVIC is put into a programming mode while a magnet is momentarily placed, in sequence, on each of the valve stems. A signal is sent back that identifies the LF/RF/LR/RR tire locations as well as the spare (if equipped). This is an easy process that can be done by anyone, and is explained in detail below.

If the spare is moved and mounted on the vehicle, the display will chime and display for five seconds the message "Spare swap detected". So how does the system know the spare has been switched? The spare tire transmitter is programmed to send a signal hourly. Any and all mounted wheels, when spinning above 25 MPH, will transmit their signal every minute. The system will detect that the tire previously programmed as the spare was mounted on the vehicle when the signal from that tire changes from hourly to every minute.

The valve stem transmitters can be easily installed into any wheels that fit the WJ's, whether factory or aftermarket. The spare can also be mounted atop the vehicle and still be reconized as such by the system. As well, a set of additional transmitters can be purchased to install into a set of different tires for those owners who often change their wheels and tires for off-roading. Note that special Training is required if you are using steel wheels. See the "Training" section below for more information.

Starting in January 2002, a 4-Tire system was introduced, eliminating the spare tire sensor. This system was offered on all WJ's that came with a steel spare wheel. Models with the factory chrome wheels/chrome spare get the 5-tire system. Upon special request, the 4-tire system modules can be programmed by the dealer to turn on the 5th spare tire bit. A 5th valve stem module would have to be purchased and installed into the spare.
Old 7/10/04, 12:46 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It has to have a tire pressure 'monitor' as all cars by 2005 or 2006 have to have one.
Old 7/10/04, 02:04 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
hows does this affect the idea of aftermarket rims?
Old 7/10/04, 02:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well if it is built into the valve stem it shouldn't be to much trouble should it?
Old 7/10/04, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

The stems can be switched rather easilly I believe. Only exped and explorer use the stems, weve sold dozens with aftermarket 20's and 22's, so its doable. The cheepa-mo-betta way of monitoring wheel speed through the abs does not require the stems.
Old 7/10/04, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Wombert@July 10, 2004, 6:27 AM
It says fault because the car is not running.
Old 7/11/04, 08:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have trouble visualizing how the metal valve stems work. How do they send a signal to the car? Wireless powered by battery?
Old 7/11/04, 09:10 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We got stems! Here's cropped section of a high res pic of the 05 tire from Foxboro

Kev are those the stems you were talking about?
Old 7/11/04, 09:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a sensor is a slim rectangle (roughly the dimensions of a credit card), the stem is embedded in it and seals to the rim with a captured O-ring. From what I understand (and this may not be true of all models), but the valvestem core is the antenna for the sensor and the core has to stay with the wheel position (ie; LF, LR and so on). It looks like the same model the C5 vette uses.

Only down side to this is the O-rings tend to leak sometimes when you swap wheels (IMO imperfections in the wheel, because you can tighten down on the sensor and stop the leaks, although they occasionally tighten up a bit to much for my tastes. Not sure what the torque spec for the sensor is??)
Old 7/12/04, 06:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Is there a small watch battery in the sensor?

How does the sensor have power?

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitor