2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Time for brake rotor upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Well I had another autocross event on the weekend, went very well. The track was fast (up to 65mph) in a couple spots and one of them led to a hairpin and the other a stop box. Needless to say, the brakes took a pretty serious beating. There was no brake fade, but all 4 rotors are a deep blue, even starting to turn purple on the outside edge.

There is no warpage and they feel fine on the road for normal driving. I am assuming cross drilled and slotted rotors would help this and improve braking. I hope the blue wears off before I take the car in to the dealer to get the front popping struts fixed, because right now it looks like the car has had the crap beat out of it (well it did!) by looking at the brakes.

I may do one more event this year on Aug 20, I just can't get enough of these races. Many people (veteran autocrossers) came up to me and expressed their amazement as to the speed and handling of the 05 in stock trim.

After taking part in 4 events with the 05 I am becoming very comfortable with the car. It is so predictable, no suprises
Old 8/1/05, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing Blue on them should actually be a pretty good sign. If the breaks still feel good to you, then I'd say you've actually IMPROVED your breaking. The Blue you see on there is a fine coating of break material. That actually HELPS you out. Slotted roters would be nice. Check out a post I made in the V6 section about this:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=29088

This topic has some great info on bedding the breaks and describes that blue coating you see:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=27093

Edit: I'm having typing problems today.
Old 8/1/05, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just bedded 'em in . . . . they shouldn't squeek and should work much better now.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....pic=13274&st=0
Old 8/1/05, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not so much a coating, well sort of. What it is, is a very light layer of oxidation. This layer will change colour as the temperature rises, so it will tell you how hot your brakes got. Here is a list of the colours and related temperatures.

Faint straw.......430F
Dard straw.......460F
Bronze.............500F
Purple..............540F
Dark blue.........570F
Light blue.........610F
Steel Gray.......630F

I am a machinist and this is all from the Machinery Handbook. So my rotors were probably around the 600F range, hot. I know if you get the stock brake pads too hot they will cook and become too hard. I went to take some pictures of the rotors, but most of the oxide (colour) has come off.

I have bedded the brakes before, and yes it did stop the sqeeling, but it came back a little bit around a month later. So I guess I am good for another month.