2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Throttle lag? Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/07, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
A tune will not solve the dead-play issue because that is mechanical. The only thing a tune will solve is the throttle hang.

My 07 GT does not have throttle lag, but it does have some throttle hang and about 1/8" of throttle dead-play.

Throttle lag is when you GO WFOT and it takes 0.5 seconds before it realizes you wanted to go WOT. The Pontiac G6 suffers from this and it sucks big time.
Old 12/25/07, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tune sould be able to fix hang or lag, since they're both computer issues. The dead spot off idle in the throttle mechanism (if you have it) can be fixed a couple different ways - http://www.mustangforums.com/m_37925...23/key_/tm.htm.
Old 12/25/07, 01:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I do not detect any lag in my 07 GT. Are there any S197s with throttle lag? I do experience throttle hang and the dead-play in the throttle.
Old 12/25/07, 01:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think I had any throttle lag before I got a tune. After I got the tune, I realized how much lag there was in stock form. Engine response is instant now. I knew I had throttle hang, and it is also gone with the tune.
Old 12/28/07, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by F150ATM
Didn't do a thing for me. Ford Drive By Wire SUCKS.
Clunk chug chug chug clunk.

Pathetic.

... but don't take it to a dealer "they all to that / it's normal / there's nothing wrong"
Seems with FORD, all you have to do is lower your standards.

Mike
The lag is there for emissions purposes... it's not Ford. Even the new Honda Civic Si (throttle by wire) has an equally irritating lag. Everyone gets this programmed in with throttle by wire systems to meet our rising emissions standards.

Get a tune.
Old 1/3/08, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Interesting.

Last week, I brought my '06 manual GT in for service for two throttle-related issues:

In idle, car would rev on its own, sometimes spiking at 1500-2000 RPM, and dipping to 500 RPM and below, almost to the point of stalling.
After about a week of this, the car began stalling in idle when the RPM would dip below 500, and would almost always stall in reverse.

It was found that the connection between CAI and TB was loose, so it was tightened.

When I picked up my car, it seemed that both of these issues had been fixed.
However, on my drive home, I noticed the RPM began bouncing erratically again.
It wasn't as severe as before, but it was still apparent.

So, I brought the car back in yesterday, and asked them to check the TB and clean if necessary.
They found a decent amount of carbon buildup in the TB and cleaned it.

Picked up the car last night, and when I started up the car, the throttle soared open to about 2000 RPM, and stayed there a bit before VERY SLOWLY creeping down to about 1000.
As I drove the car away, I noticed a brand new issue: this same throttle hang you guys are talking about in this thread.
While coming to a stop, taking my foot off the accelerator and taking the car out of gear leaves the throttle open for a good couple of seconds before very slowly returning to about 700-1000 RPM idle.

Now, it sounds like a lot of you have been experiencing this for some time, but this is the first time I've ever experienced any degree of throttle hang.

I've had a K&N CAI with no tune installed for over a year, and for several months, I've noticed a pretty significant decrease in performance—most notably, slow starts, jerky shifting, and throttle hang—but it could never be determined what was causing the decreased performance.
Bringing the car back to the dealer had always resulted in the standard-issue "that's normal driveability for a Mustang" song and dance.

Anyway, is it possible that the recent adjustment of the CAI-to-TB connection + the cleaning of the TB + no tune with my CAI has now somehow brought this throttle hang issue to the forefront?
Is it possible that a custom tune will alleviate this throttle hang, which a lot of you are saying is 'normal,' albeit annoying?

Or does this sound like a problem with the MAF sensor?
Old 1/3/08, 02:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Have you tried cleaning your MAF sensor? K&N filters rely on an oil to provide its mediocre filtering capability. This oil often seeps out and flows onto the hot MAF sensor sampling wires, causing severe driveability issues.

It's also possible your TB/motor is shot which I think isn't too uncommon with 05-06 Mustangs.
Old 1/3/08, 03:22 PM
GT Member

Actually, I had the MAF checked today.
Apparently, it's A-OK.
Old 1/3/08, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Now that the TB is clean, keep driving it for a few days and see if it gets better. The car might take a few days to re-learn it's idle trims and such with the newly cleaned TB. If you are impatient, you can try and disconnect the negative battery cable for about 20 minutes to reset the KAM (keep alive memory).
Old 1/3/08, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

How did you "check" the MAF sensor? The computer is not going to tell you or the dealer mechanic that the sensor wire is covered in K&N oil.
Old 1/4/08, 07:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Now that the TB is clean, keep driving it for a few days and see if it gets better. The car might take a few days to re-learn it's idle trims and such with the newly cleaned TB. If you are impatient, you can try and disconnect the negative battery cable for about 20 minutes to reset the KAM (keep alive memory).
Actually, the idling is getting better.
Yesterday, I noticed it not hanging nearly as much as it has been.

Originally Posted by metroplex
How did you "check" the MAF sensor? The computer is not going to tell you or the dealer mechanic that the sensor wire is covered in K&N oil.
I'm not sure what the mechanic did.
I asked him to check the MAF sensor and clean if necessary, and he later told me that he didn't see any problems with it.
So I dunno.
I assume he disconnected it and looked to see if it was dirty.

Perhaps this is something I should do myself.
What should I be looking for?
Old 1/4/08, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If it is getting better and you're not experiencing any problems, leave it be.

Otherwise, I generally clean my MAF by disconnecting the MAF sensor harness and spraying electric contact cleaner on the sampling wires. I would let it completely dry out before re-attaching the harness. This would ensure the sampling wire is clean as can be.
Old 1/4/08, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by atomicvibe
In idle, car would rev on its own, sometimes spiking at 1500-2000 RPM, and dipping to 500 RPM and below, almost to the point of stalling.
After about a week of this, the car began stalling in idle when the RPM would dip below 500, and would almost always stall in reverse.
I'm having a similar problem since I installed my JLT intake and Bama tune. When I push in the clutch and release the throttle, the RPM's drop and bog at 500 and the rev to normal idle.
Old 1/4/08, 04:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Clean the TB. Problem solved.
Old 1/6/08, 12:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Any specific instructions about that? Can I just clean it with a Simple Green wipe?
Old 1/6/08, 12:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

I don't know about a simple green wipe. What I did was simply remove the air intake tube, then remove the TB. It is pretty simple and you should be able to figure it out fairly easily. Once you have the TB off, just clean up any black junk you find in the butterflies, moving them open to get to all of it.

I just used a dry cotton shop towel to wipe it off, it came off fairly easily with a little pressure and wiping. I didn't need to use any solvents or any cleaning agents.
Old 1/7/08, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't notice it being dirty when I switched out the intake. Also, the car only has 8K on out, how dirty could it possibly be? My concern is that the idle issue started after the tune and intake install.
Old 1/7/08, 10:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

So did mine, everything was peachy until I put the intake on. You will not notice any dirtiness unless you open up the butterflies. All the crud is on the rear of the butterflies.
Old 1/7/08, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

So did mine, everything was peachy until I put the intake on. You will not notice any dirtiness unless you open up the butterflies. All the crud is on the rear of the butterflies.
Will do tonight. Thanks for the help!
Old 1/7/08, 10:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The crud on the back of the butterfly valve is "normal" due to the oil from the PCV system. I see it on every 4.6/5.4 modular engine V8.

Quick Reply: Throttle lag? Gone!