2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Throttle lag? Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/06, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first picked her up, I noticed there was some serious throttle lag. I'd stomp on the gas it would take .75 seconds before it kicks in. After I installed the JLT II CAI and used Doug's 93 Octane Tune, it was waaaay better, but I still felt there was some lag.

I searched all around and found this solution on another mustang forum (Forgive me Brad, for I have sinned), and it actually works!

1. Turn on car without starting the engine
2. Wait til the dash lights stabilize (some of them will turn off)
3. Step on the gas pedal in one smooth and steady motion
4. Once gas pedal hits the bottom, let go
5. Turn off car and wait 4-5 seconds
6. Turn engine on
7. Drive
8. Repeat 1-6 if it doesn't work the first time.

They also say you need to do this everytime you change tunes. I'm not sure if this will work on a manual, but it did wonders for my Auto. Hope this helps others.
Old 3/9/06, 06:37 PM
V6 Member

Great info and technic for the throttle lag. I also have an Auto and will try this solution in the morning. Thanks again.
Old 3/9/06, 07:32 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd heard this before, and tried it on mine yesterday(bone stock-stickshift), and it definitely made it seem a bit quicker to rev especially on the first 1/4" or so of pedal movement, my biggest beef is the way the throttle hangs between shifts, I guess they pretty much all do it unless retuned.
Old 3/9/06, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is pretty cool. Do you have to do it everytime you drive the car i wonder? I did it and the radio was off and it was quiet. I could actually here the chatter of the computer after I did it, kind of like the chatter of a PC hard drive. thanks a lot for the info.
Old 3/9/06, 09:30 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dave_bought_another_black_s tang @ March 9, 2006, 10:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Do you have to do it everytime you drive the car i wonder?[/b][/quote]
I read you only need to do it if you reflash another tune or put it back to stock tune (yeah, like that's gonna happen). It seems the computer needs to relearn if you flash to something else. Since it's fast and easy to do, I don't mind at all.
Old 3/9/06, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

any more tricks?
Old 3/9/06, 10:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ford4v429 @ March 9, 2006, 8:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'd heard this before, and tried it on mine yesterday(bone stock-stickshift), and it definitely made it seem a bit quicker to rev especially on the first 1/4" or so of pedal movement, my biggest beef is the way the throttle hangs between shifts, I guess they pretty much all do it unless retuned.
[/b][/quote]

A tune will get rid of this, do yourself a favor and get one, you wont be disapointed. I hated that hanging, now after the tune its like a different car. Its like learning to drive it again after that. throttle drops right away now when you push in the clutch.
Old 3/9/06, 11:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

is this only for autos?
Old 3/10/06, 05:21 AM
Cobra Member

Not to rain on anyones parade, but this was posted some time back. I quickly ran out to the car and gave it a try. Initially I thought it was better but it was the power of positive thinking, it didn't make any change in my car.

This might just be my experiance, I really wanted it to work and have tried it several times.

There is the possibility I may have done it wrong but I re-read the instructions many times and re-tried it probably a dozen times or more, with no luck unfortunately.
Old 3/10/06, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also found this on another forum and tried it and it worked for me.
Old 3/10/06, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

For my 5spd it definitely provides a quicker off idle snap (along with the tune) and the main thing it did was smooth out the delivery of power from pressing down the pedal.
Old 3/10/06, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gkaufman @ March 10, 2006, 7:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
For my 5spd it definitely provides a quicker off idle snap (along with the tune) and the main thing it did was smooth out the delivery of power from pressing down the pedal.
[/b][/quote]

I totally agree with this. I tried it this morning before I went to work, and it definitely improves off-idle response and smoothens the power delivery. This might be the best free mod ever [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

What throttle lag? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 01:57 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dave_bought_another_black_s tang @ March 9, 2006, 7:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is pretty cool. Do you have to do it everytime you drive the car i wonder? I did it and the radio was off and it was quiet. I could actually here the chatter of the computer after I did it, kind of like the chatter of a PC hard drive. thanks a lot for the info.
[/b][/quote]

What... How is this even possible?
Old 3/10/06, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nazz Nomad @ March 10, 2006, 4:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What... How is this even possible?
[/b][/quote]

All i can say is it definitely works, i was barking tires all day today off the line. I know for sure it wasn't positive thinking, I agree though a tune is the answer totally for this. It helps significantly from idle while rolling, i can still tell a difference. It feels more like the throttle response in my modded 03, 98 cobra, and 96 gt's. It eliminates the lag that was definitely there before.

PS, I will be at Steeda in the am when they open for a strut tower, and a CAI / Tune!!
Benefits of moving south, i am 30 min from pompano!
Old 3/10/06, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bingo @ March 10, 2006, 11:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What throttle lag? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I haven't encountered any throttle lag either. I think it may have something to do with how the car was "broken in". [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

The lag has been driving me nuts, I have printed this out and will be trying it before I leave for the drive home!
Old 3/10/06, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Trust me, I "broke in" my car full tilt, there was a lag, and now its gone. this is my fourth modern mustang, and i can say for sure there was a lag. Maybe yours was pre calibrated.
Old 3/10/06, 09:47 PM
Cobra Member

Yup, it works!! I did it before leaving the office and there was an immediate and noticeable difference in the lag amount. Before if I was either slowing down or cruising at a constant speed and tromped on the pedal, you could literally count to 2 or 3 before it would kick the tranny down a gear and start accelerating. Not only is that annoying, but it is also dangerous. This trick did not completely eliminate the lag, but it substantially reduced it to the point that it's not an issue anymore. Hit the gas and away she goes!! Since the Mustangs are drive-by-wire and the throttle is really controlled by the computer, I'm guessing this little trick is some kind of software override. I definitely recommend it, three cheers to Kilmar!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 02:54 AM
Cobra Member

must this be done on every start up?? or only once and after retune?

Quick Reply: Throttle lag? Gone!