Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those ugly Fuel Rails!

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/06, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those ugly Fuel Rails!

I had enough of those nasty looking rails. So, I painted them, in hopes to draw some positive attention. They match the painted dip stick, rotors and Calipers. Wife's happy!

Fuel Rails How To remove: Disconnect the battery. On passenger side disconnect the 4 injector connectors and the two studs that hold the rail in place. On the driver side, disconnect the 4 injector connectors, the vacuum hose and the electrical connector. Remove the retaining clip at the fuel line connection, then I used the color green spring release tool and the line easily pulled apart. Remove the two studs that hold the rail in place. Finally pull up on rail and remove the rail with injectors from the Intake, next pull up on passenger side to remove the complete assemble. I I found out that the gas will remain in the rails quite well and not spill if you hold the driver side a little higher. Have a container to drain the gas out of the fuel line tube. This will take some tipping and draining to remove most of the gasoline. Once most of the gasoline is out you can remove the two bolts holding the vacuum control drain some more and than remove the 8 retaining clips. You will find the injectors are tighter in the rails then in the intake, just twist a bit, rock and pull them out.

Now you can cleanup the rails and prep the rails for painting. Mine were very clean to begin with, so did some touchup and light cleaning. Next I covered the openings and connection locations that I did not what to cover with paint with masking tape. I did not paint the ports for the Injectors, fuel line or top of the electrical/vacuum base or the connecting hose.

I only used a steel wool to clean the rails. I did not feel the need for sanding this material. I used light gray filler primer to help hide some small dings on top and fill the sides manufacturing defects. I finished using 3-4 coats using “Dupli-Colors” Ceramic Engine Paint.

I would think these could be polished or chromed if preferred.
Attached Thumbnails Those ugly Fuel Rails!-img_0280-1.jpg   Those ugly Fuel Rails!-img_0282-1.jpg   Those ugly Fuel Rails!-img_0278-1.jpg  
Old 5/27/06, 07:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK you teased us with the pics - now the how-to They do look nice!
Old 5/27/06, 09:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
OK you teased us with the pics - now the how-to They do look nice!
Added to post and Thanks.
Old 5/27/06, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks Awesome, can't wait to see them in person!!! The Stang looks better and better everytime I see it!!!
Old 5/27/06, 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks nice!!! Another one for the list. :-)
Old 5/30/06, 04:37 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Great job. I like that!!
Old 5/30/06, 06:58 PM

I felt the same - but after seeing these - I just had to have them and I replaced mine with these. They're working great! They serve all high performance applications too - NOS - SC - Turbo - Great looking too.
http://www.cprracing.com/

Originally Posted by Badsnke98
I had enough of those nasty looking rails. So, I painted them, in hopes to draw some positive attention. They match the painted dip stick, rotors and Calipers. Wife's happy!

Fuel Rails How To remove: Disconnect the battery. On passenger side disconnect the 4 injector connectors and the two studs that hold the rail in place. On the driver side, disconnect the 4 injector connectors, the vacuum hose and the electrical connector. Remove the retaining clip at the fuel line connection, then I used the color green spring release tool and the line easily pulled apart. Remove the two studs that hold the rail in place. Finally pull up on rail and remove the rail with injectors from the Intake, next pull up on passenger side to remove the complete assemble. I I found out that the gas will remain in the rails quite well and not spill if you hold the driver side a little higher. Have a container to drain the gas out of the fuel line tube. This will take some tipping and draining to remove most of the gasoline. Once most of the gasoline is out you can remove the two bolts holding the vacuum control drain some more and than remove the 8 retaining clips. You will find the injectors are tighter in the rails then in the intake, just twist a bit, rock and pull them out.

Now you can cleanup the rails and prep the rails for painting. Mine were very clean to begin with, so did some touchup and light cleaning. Next I covered the openings and connection locations that I did not what to cover with paint with masking tape. I did not paint the ports for the Injectors, fuel line or top of the electrical/vacuum base or the connecting hose.

I only used a steel wool to clean the rails. I did not feel the need for sanding this material. I used light gray filler primer to help hide some small dings on top and fill the sides manufacturing defects. I finished using 3-4 coats using “Dupli-Colors†Ceramic Engine Paint.

I would think these could be polished or chromed if preferred.
Old 6/9/06, 01:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Well they sure look nice. But what did you paint them purple for? You've got all sorts of different colors under the hood now. At least The CPR rails would have matched your c&l color etc. Like the look, just cant understand what you would paint any mustang parts purple.
Old 6/9/06, 01:44 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sodaman
Well they sure look nice. But what did you paint them purple for? You've got all sorts of different colors under the hood now. At least The CPR rails would have matched your c&l color etc. Like the look, just cant understand what you would paint any mustang parts purple.
my thoughts exactly.
Old 6/14/06, 10:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good write up Bruce. I appreciate what you did. I've been wanting to paint mine too (Ford Blue) but didn't really know where to start. Now I do. Thanks again. And in reference to your color choice........to each his own. All that matters is that you like it.
Old 9/11/06, 03:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why can't CPRRACING list their prices w/out having to make you email someone...very annoying