2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third Oil Change... Engine Burning Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/05, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mmoonshot@April 15, 2005, 11:03 AM
One of the primary reasons to wait till 10 k is that you want to give the seals in the motor time to break in, for some reason synthetic oils do not accomodate the seals very well when the car is new.

again wait till 10 k...good advice, i hope a few of you will take it... :bang:

So new cars that come from the factory with synthetic from mile 0 on the odometer don't get broken in properly (rings seating/etc.)??? Guess all the new Vette & Viper owners are in trouble...
Old 4/15/05, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

No didnt say anything like that. I suggest not changing oil several times within 3000 miles. As there is no need for it. At least if your referring to my comment. I didnt say anything about synthetic being bad from factory. Obviously if thats what the manufacturer is putting in them from mile 0, then they have done extensive testing and there bearings, rings etc are designed for it. On the other hand if a manufacturer puts a 50/50 mix for break in, you would think they did it for a reason. Since they did the testing on there engines etc. So vipers, corvettes, etc have there own testing and own parts. Each car and engine is different, and has different quality parts, so I dont even understand how you can compare apples, and oranges. They just arent the same thing. I would like to think of my mustang as a mclaren, but you know what it isnt.
Old 4/15/05, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RED92LX50+April 15, 2005, 11:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RED92LX50 @ April 15, 2005, 11:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mmoonshot@April 15, 2005, 11:03 AM
One of the primary reasons to wait till 10 k is that you want to give the seals in the motor time to break in, for some reason synthetic oils do not accomodate the seals very well when the car is new.

again wait till 10 k...good advice, i hope a few of you will take it... :bang:

So new cars that come from the factory with synthetic from mile 0 on the odometer don't get broken in properly (rings seating/etc.)??? Guess all the new Vette & Viper owners are in trouble...
[/b][/quote]

I do not beleive these are full synthetics, they are a blend with a quality tradittional oil, why? for exactly the resons stated in my earlier post, beleive me there is no problem going with the factory recomended oil to 10 k, will save you a few bucks as well...keep arguing if you like, but I am right.
Old 4/15/05, 11:33 AM

Whatever...just like most internet threads, never let FACTS get in the way of a good story.

Please send me links to anyone who has had problems with their new car that has been directly attributed to "switching to synthetic oil too soon" (whatever you think too soon is).

Thanks, facts only please.
Old 4/15/05, 11:41 AM
FR500 Member

I changed my oil after 1500 miles, then 3000 and will change it every 3000 miles after. I used a 50/50 blend like the Owner's Manual recommends. I don't see the need to spend so much money on Mobil1 when plenty of studies have said it does no real good. As long as you change your oil every 3000 miles, a 50/50 blend should be just fine.
Old 4/15/05, 11:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@April 15, 2005, 8:07 AM
Dino oil is good e'nuff for me, since I change it often. Synthetic is not worth the extra cost to me.....and Consumer Reports has verified the same thing. Consumer Reports did extensive testing on 'Taxi Cabs' (hardest cars on engines) w/ Synthetics vs. Dinos, and there was no extra lastability/protection noted between either...... This is kinda like the mad craze after 'Zaino' products ($$$$$) compared to others.
Seriously guys/gals.....dig up the article in Consumer Reports about synthetics vs. dino, and you may re-think your spending $$$ on synthetics. The engines they tested were opened up at same intervals to check deposits/wear, etc., and then they were ran well over 100,000 miles. No significant benefits in their opinion to warrant the extra cost of the synthetic oil.......
Old 4/15/05, 11:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Fact one: Corvette is not a mustang
Fact Two: Viper is not a mustang
Fact Three: All companys test there own engines.
Fact Four: All companys decide what is best for there engines after extensive testing.
Fact Five: All these cars have different parts, including different bearings, different, rings, different horsepower etc.
Fact Six: Should I go on.
LOL
P.S.
Oh yah fact 6: A mustang is not a mclaren. I wish it were tho. Love both!!!!
Old 4/15/05, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by sodaman@April 15, 2005, 11:49 AM
Fact one: Corvette is not a mustang
Fact Two: Viper is not a mustang
Fact Three: All companys test there own engines.
Fact Four: All companys decide what is best for there engines after extensive testing.
Fact Five: All these cars have different parts, including different bearings, different, rings, different horsepower etc.
Fact Six: Should I go on.
LOL
P.S.
Oh yah fact 6: A mustang is not a mclaren. I wish it were tho. Love both!!!!

Fact 7: Mustangs come from the factory with specific tires right (Pirelli these days I think). Why would anyone ever put on a different brand/size/etc.??? A Mustang isn't a YUGO either, what is your point? MY point of using Vettes & Vipers in my discussion was to show that several of todays modern sports cars use Synthetic oil from mile 0. If you really think that you can cause damage to a 2005 Mustang engine by running Mobil1 in it "too soon" (or maybe even EVER, according to your philosophy), I think you are wrong, and would like to see a link to an article where someone ruined their new 2005 Mustang engine by running Mobil1 too soon.

Again, FACTS would be great. Thanks!

Oh, and if anyone is interested, here is a neat link I found on Synthetics. Not sure if it 100% factual, but at least it is pretty comprehensive and appears to have some merit (as opposed to just my opinion).
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt
Old 4/15/05, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Charlie, you pulled the trigger too fast on the synthetic dude. :notnice: Also your theory about switching back to Dino is bogus period. Who ever told you that?? :scratch: I've done it many times and no "spun bearings"
Old 4/15/05, 12:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@April 15, 2005, 11:07 AM
Dino oil is good e'nuff for me, since I change it often. Synthetic is not worth the extra cost to me.....and Consumer Reports has verified the same thing. Consumer Reports did extensive testing on 'Taxi Cabs' (hardest cars on engines) w/ Synthetics vs. Dinos, and there was no extra lastability/protection noted between either...... This is kinda like the mad craze after 'Zaino' products ($$$$$) compared to others.
Consumer reports is wrong then. Sythetics DO prevent wear and tear on internals, especially during extreme conditions. I live in the Midwest and use sythetic because it flow better when cold. Don't trust consumer reports.
Old 4/15/05, 12:35 PM

Consumer reports is wrong then. Sythetics DO prevent wear and tear on internals, especially during extreme conditions. I live in the Midwest and use sythetic because it flow better when cold. Don't trust consumer reports.
[/quote]

I agree, please see the link in my previous post.
Old 4/15/05, 12:41 PM
Jim

The reason people say wait until the engine is broken in goes back to the old days, like when I used to bore then hone the cylinders with a crosshatch pattern. The rings back then needed to scuff-in to seal. Synthetics does not allow this to happen. Modern engine using modern materials for rings have a bore that is honed to a mirror finish, they no longer need a break-in period like to older motors. BTW, all the "old" Indy cars including ones sponsered by other oil companies used Mobil 1. A lot of NASCAR teams do the same. Less friction=last longer, go faster.

Jim
Old 4/15/05, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Called up Ford customer service and wound up speaking to a manager. He said that the '05 comes with regular Motorcraft motor oil from the factory, not a 50/50 blend.

Thanks for the heads up on that switching back to regular oil rumor. I thought it was true, but I did some research. It isn't.
Old 4/15/05, 05:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by RED92LX50@April 15, 2005, 10:38 AM

I agree, please see the link in my previous post.
Thanks for the link......it was good reading, and I will probably switch to synthetic at around 6,500 miles or so.
Old 4/15/05, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

The factory oil is a 50/50 synthetic blend. I went to have my oil changed at 10k and was going to switch to synthetic when the service manager told me there was no need...factory was already 50/50. I did not believe him and talked to some of the techs...it is 50/50 saw it myself. Same oil is used in several other Ford vehicles.

Ran dino oil in my last car ( acura rsx-s with a 4cyl 100hp per liter engine ) for the first 30k, and syn for the next 60k changing every 10k as per the manual....never had a single problem, compression good as new when I traded it in. Burned about a quart every 5k of either like clockwork. To each his own...but anything more than the factory drain intervals is for the "enthuiast" and will only add to the cost of ownership...just my .02
Old 4/15/05, 08:00 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

You are supposed to wait until 5000 miles before changing the factory oil on the 05 stang! Break in time. The oil they used was already partly synthetic....
Old 4/15/05, 08:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Guys, this is a Mustang, so I assume the car will be driven hard. You purchased a 25K+ car; synthetic oil is a cheap way to prevent wear and tear on the internals of the engine. Think of it as an "insurance plan" for the engine. I will use Mobil 1 or Amsoil once my car hits 7500 miles.
Old 4/16/05, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@April 15, 2005, 9:06 PM
Guys, this is a Mustang, so I assume the car will be driven hard. You purchased a 25K+ car; synthetic oil is a cheap way to prevent wear and tear on the internals of the engine. Think of it as an "insurance plan" for the engine. I will use Mobil 1 or Amsoil once my car hits 7500 miles.

This is the best statiment on this forum except for the AMSOIL part.

I can't believe that this debate is still going on.
Syntetic oils have been around for 30 years.
They are superior and there is no debating that fact.
There is NO reason to wait to use it in your verhicle.
I can go into many details and facts with you all if you wish.
I think we're beating a dead horse here.

Everyone has their own opinion.

If you want to use dyno juice that's fine. There are plenty of good ones on the market.

If you want the added protection of synthetic, good for you.

This is where the arguement stops. It's like comparing Yugos to mustangs.

I'll let you guys figure out which oil the Yugo represents.
Old 4/16/05, 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know... I've said it before and I'll say it again. Threads like this are beyond silly. People can strut and prance around arguing about which oil is better all they like. The bottom line is that its a matter of personal preference and personal belief. Just about every engine oil on the market performs a similar function. Some do their jobs better than others and some cost more than others. Pick the one you like and go with it.

Until the days comes that I see indepent test lab's (oh and that means a lab thats NOT on the payroll of any oil company) produce reports containing meaningful comparisons on engine wear using dino and synthetic oils I'm just gonna stick with what I know and believe to be true.
Old 4/16/05, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Consumers Reports as a technical reference?

Most manufacturers say 1 quart every 1k miles is normal. I've even seen one that said 1 quart every 600 miles during break in is normal! I wouldn't think synthetics would prevent break in, they should just delay it, no?

Anyway, synthetics are superior. Modern technology and all that. I suppose the next argument should be about how the PCV system is worthless and robs power.

On a related note, and perhaps supporting dino oil, I just worked on a '93 Chevy C1500 . . . with 390,000 miles on the original 4.3 V6 engine! Late oil changes, and burning oil like crazy, but it keeps going. We also have a customer who has over 300k on their Towncar, and another with 300k+ on an Expedition, and one with 200k+ on an '88 S-10 with the 2.5 4-banger. And I just heard about somebody else who has 600k on an original engine!! Even my father had 200k on his '84 Olds 88 when he junked it, terrible maintenance too, but ran fine.

Modern engines are an amazing thing!

Edit: Funny, I just realized something . . . I see very few Chysler products with high mileage.

Quick Reply: Third Oil Change... Engine Burning Oil?