2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

temporary tire rec's for corner carving

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/08, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
temporary tire rec's for corner carving

ok, here's the deal:
june, july, and august have been pretty tough on teh old(new) BFG KDWS.
three road course events in three months, and i m guessing that they have a fourth in them, perhaps.

i still have the old 18 x8.5 polished bullitt rims which were take-offs from the vert, before i shod her with the fr500 knock-offs.

so i am looking for a good road course tire to put on those, to finish out 5 more events with, this year, before santa brings some real shoes for her. i am anticipating running 275/40ish x 17 or 18

on a side note (but not the main question of this thread), i am torn between going 17x9.5ish and leaving brakes pretty much maxed out as they are, and reveling in affordable rubber, and less unsprung weight, . . . vs 18's to accommodate a big brake kit, and hope the extra stopping power offsets the extra weight.
(comments here welcome, but this is not the main question)

to tide me over for the next 4 or 5 events this year, i have looked at lots of available tires, and narrowed it down to the list below, of what will probably reasonably fit on the 18x8.5 rim.

my preference is 255>245 as it gives more rubber on teh ground, and should not come anywhere close to rubbing.
the profile is the dilemna, as i do not want to induce too much bulge, the the tier rolls over on itself, impairing handling accuracy.

to that effect, since all three options: /35 , /40, /45 are all lower profile than the stockers, it would seem to reason that that may counteract any bulge-induced rollover.

so any thoughts on section width as it relates to aspect ratio, and to the "recommended" rim width, would be most appreciated.

these will be driven to, on, and from the track, and then she will be re-shod with her usual walking shoes.
thanks,
doc

yes, i realize the typo below, the stockers are /50 series, not /55.