2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

TCS not working?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/05, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I live in FL..hurricane dennis feaderbands coming through so lots of rain..thought I would see how tcs works. found dead end road and left tcs on..stomped on it from a stop and spun some tires but didn't seem like tcs came on. No light or nothing! isn't there supposed to be a light that flashes when tcs is engaged? I did it with bot tcs on and off to see if it was reversed somehow but no light? Do you think my tcs is broken? I did the systems check and everything was ok.
Old 7/9/05, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cambostang@July 9, 2005, 2:37 PM
Well I live in FL..hurricane dennis feaderbands coming through so lots of rain..thought I would see how tcs works. found dead end road and left tcs on..stomped on it from a stop and spun some tires but didn't seem like tcs came on. No light or nothing! isn't there supposed to be a light that flashes when tcs is engaged? I did it with bot tcs on and off to see if it was reversed somehow but no light? Do you think my tcs is broken? I did the systems check and everything was ok.
I don't remember if the TCS in my 05 was ever activated, but in my 03 I pulled out of the driveway at work and the light came on for a couple seconds letting me know the TCS was activated.
I would think that since all systems checked out when you ran the test then it's probably fine, but you could always check with the dealer to make sure.
Old 7/9/05, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

i am not sure about this... i know my dad`s mercury has a light come on when it kicks in...
Old 7/9/05, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

It won't come on until the car starts to slide sideways, it will let you have plenty of wheelspin in a straight line. Try it in a corner and you will feel it. You have to really let it slip to see the "trac control active" in the display...
Old 7/9/05, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

maybe I'll try doing some circles in the rain from hurricane dennis.
Old 7/9/05, 04:14 PM
V6 Member

The way I understand it, Ford designed this TCS to be less "aggressive" on dry surfaces.
Old 7/9/05, 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

My understanding is that it's purposely designed to "ignore" wheelspin in a straight-line scenario (if both rear wheels are spinning at the same speed). This also explains why the TCS is useless if you get stuck in the snow and are trying to go straight forward.

If you're turning, you'll definitely feel (and hear) the TCS come on.
Old 7/9/05, 05:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

if you have the non IUP, then there is a blinking light that comes on, if you have the IUP, it'll only display "traction control active" in the message center.....
Old 7/9/05, 05:18 PM
V6 Member

My traction control seems to be very lenient also. I've only seen it come on once, after driving through a wet parking lot and then turning onto the boulevard, but I wasn't even on it and there was no wheelspin, so go figure? Other times when I've been on it pretty hard turning, or in the rain, it hasn't come on at all, when it seems like it definitely should have.
Old 7/9/05, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess what I'm experiencing is normal. I've never had a car before with tcs.
Old 7/9/05, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

when i spun my back end around the TCS came on for 1 second and chimed a warning chime at me then went right back off
Old 7/9/05, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

You'll def know at least when the ABS is working. The pedal crunches and pulses your foot. One time I was heading down a hill 2 winters ago in my old car and one vehicle was stuck in the snow. I hit the brakes too hard and the pedal started pulsing and then a patch of ice so when I turned the wheel I kept going straight toward the vehicle. I laid on the horn and the guy saw me coming and somehow moved out of the way as he was stuck. Needless to say I had some sweaty palms and a forehead.

Matt
Old 7/9/05, 11:29 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, this is a VERY leniant TC.
It does a LOT more than let you spin in a straight line. Ford claimed that's what the previous generation was supposed to do also, but it didn't. It was WAY too sensitive.
I believe they tried to correct the problem and took it too far. While taking a 90* turn in a parking lot, (I was doing this on purpose) I gave the car some gas and was able to whip the car around; then back and forth, leaving a complete "S" black mark WITH the TC on. I had to get out of the gas myself to straighten it back out because the TC certainly wasn't going to.
If this car had any low end torque at all, it would be as dangerous as a 5.0L Fox body. Luckily(?), it doesn't... not even close.

Is this TC normal? NO. Most TC systems are not this bad. Others would actually have a chance of preventing an accident. This one doesn't. The ABS on the other hand is pretty good.

As for the light, what Maverick said is correct. Definitely one dissadvantage to having IUP. The little "note" in the message center is useless. It doesn't get your attention at all.
Old 7/10/05, 02:11 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by cambostang@July 9, 2005, 3:37 PM
In cars message center the words traction control appear when the system is working. I got that one day this winter in snow storm on the way home from work. That trip stunk.
Old 7/10/05, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by StangNut@July 10, 2005, 12:32 AM
Yes, this is a VERY leniant TC.
The ABS on the other hand is pretty good.
personally i hate the ABS brakes. I have a 94tbird and when i hit the brakes the car stops on a dime. I had to stop short once in the mustang to avoid hitting someone who for whatever reason had no brake lights working so i slammed on the brakes and abs locked all 4 wheels and the car was still moving foward. IT was slowing down, but nowhere near as fast as my tbird without abs. i barely missed hitting the car where my tbird without brakes woulda stopped me sooner with a squeal of the tires and i would not have been as scared. I wonder if i can disable the ABS in the Stang? Hmm
Old 7/10/05, 08:40 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cambostang@July 9, 2005, 3:37 PM

Hey - where are you at? I was out last night with some friends and let the back end get a little squirrely in a few corners - wooo-hoo!
Old 7/10/05, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I live in ellenton..I went to the gym today. there were no cars when I was merging on the interstate so I gave some gas out of the turn..It was raining..I fishtailed and the TCS didnt' come on. i guess tcs if REALLY lenient. I guess I should just leave it on instead of turning it off when I get in my car cause of how lenient it is.
Old 7/11/05, 06:02 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by 94tbird@July 10, 2005, 7:29 AM
personally i hate the ABS brakes. I have a 94tbird and when i hit the brakes the car stops on a dime. I had to stop short once in the mustang to avoid hitting someone who for whatever reason had no brake lights working so i slammed on the brakes and abs locked all 4 wheels and the car was still moving foward. IT was slowing down, but nowhere near as fast as my tbird without abs. i barely missed hitting the car where my tbird without brakes woulda stopped me sooner with a squeal of the tires and i would not have been as scared. I wonder if i can disable the ABS in the Stang? Hmm
Yes, the brakes themselves stink.
I've also had a '65, two '88 5.0 LX's and an '03 GT. The only ones that weren't better was the '65. The ABS HAS to be good to compensate for the terrible brakes.